What's new

Blade Collection - What Do I Add?

Here are the blades that I've picked up. I'm interested in trying others with my varied collection of vintage Gillettes, Merkur 34c, and a Fatip Open Comb Slant (that should be arriving soon). What else do you recommend (and from what source)?

1708907460636.png

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I would second the Perma-Sharp suggestion. I have a few others but I’ve been using them for most every shave for months now.

I really need to go back to the others I have. I’ve learned a few things over the past year and a half or so of DE shaving. There are so many DE blade options, I found DE blade selection a bit daunting. I ended up copying a few favorites of the shave masters here.

I love picking up a GEM razor some mornings. Only one blade option!
You'll notice that there are some Chinese DE blades that are getting attention around here, like Suneko and Flydear. Also Dorco.

I see a disturbing lack of BIC CPs in that box. Silver Star are also well regarded, also go ahead and get the $8.10 Permasharps too. Derby Ustas are also very nice.

Some good candidates can also be gleaned from here. Ray says he has very tough hair and extremely sensitive skin:

Excellent link for a baseline. I've had it bookmarked for a good while. :thumbsup:

Here are the blades that I've picked up. I'm interested in trying others with my varied collection of vintage Gillettes, Merkur 34c, and a Fatip Open Comb Slant (that should be arriving soon). What else do you recommend (and from what source)?

View attachment 1802288

Dumb question - what is the plastic storage box called ?
Is that for fishing ?
Would be perfect for all my blades

I see a disturbing lack of BIC CPs in that box. Silver Star are also well regarded, also go ahead and get the $8.10 Permasharps too. Derby Ustas are also very nice.

Some good candidates can also be gleaned from here. Ray says he has very tough hair and extremely sensitive skin:

I agree re: the BIC CP. I recently bought a large sampler of blades (most of which I am still in the process of trying). I just tried the BIC for the first time a few days ago with two different razors and was very impressed. I was not aware they are that sharp. If you like the Nacets, I think you'll like the BIC.

You might considering adding some Indian Gillettes. Like the 7 o'clock Super Platinum or Permasharp Stainless. AMZ is a reliable shipper although prices from Indian sellers are frequently better through eBay.

Dumb question - what is the plastic storage box called ?
Is that for fishing ?
Would be perfect for all my blades
I love these little cases that I got from Daiso, a Japanese dollar-store(ish) company that sells great stuff. I picked a bunch up for $1.50 each in Korea. I remove the divider between sections and store 9 razors in them. They're just big enough for most of my vintage Gillettes, but not the slim adjustable razors which are a tad too long.

1708994495628.png

Amazon has some cheap chinese blades...1,000 blades for 29$...like they really want to tempt me. Between my commy Nacets, my Indian RK's and no good American Persona's....I just don't know what to think.

I had a fun journey trying almost 200 different blades last year. Here's the thread: So Many Blades To Try.

The last page of the thread has a list of all the blades I found the sharpest & smoothest. Look over the list, there might be a few you can find to try. Some of my favorites from that list are:

Centwin Super Platinum
Crown Super Stainless
Crystal
Durablade Clifton Classic
Feather
All varieties of Gillette 7 O'Clock blades - Black Super Platinum, Green SuperStainless, or Yellow SharpEdge
Gillette Nacet
Lord Platinum
Shark Platinum
And this one, probably unheard of, but was a very nice blade:
Vi-John Super Platinum

And if anyone has multiple lifetimes of blades & wants to reduce their inventory to just having 3 lifetimes of blades, send me a PM. I am happy to accept blade donations on behalf of B & B's Great Blade Exchange. A link to the Exchange is in my sig line.

Top Bottom