What's new

Blade “chatter” - what does this mean?

Sorry if this has been covered before in another thread but what does chatter mean? I am confused as to what it means and why it is bad.
I’m not sure if I’ve ever heard or felt blade chatter, so I’m interested as well. The posts I’ve seen up to this point talk about what causes it and that it’s bad, but I have yet to see a post about what it sounds like, or feels like.

My impression is that ‘chatter’ is a reflection of razor geometry, especially how rigidly the blade is held. Other more technical guys can provide a more scholarly explanation.
That’s my understanding as well, but what does it sound and feel like?

My non technical explanation would be a blade that is not clamped down tightly enough and the blade moves/bounces up and down between the cap and baseplate of the razor.

One of my first DE shaves I experienced blade chatter because I failed to tighten down the TTO knob. Ouch!

Blade chattering is a vicious cycle phenomenon ,
when the blade starts to “vibrate” towards and away from the skin ,
as a result of the
combination of dense & hard stubble and a blade edge that has the ability to bend inwards ,away from the cap lip .

Not all shavers experience blade chattering,even with DE razors that are prone to it .
Usually it manifests only at the ATG pass and to men with really flat growing stubble at their neck .

Myself,I can not shave ATG with any DE razor which is based on the
old Merkur patent ( like ATT,Blackbird,Parker,Muhle/EJ,
Merkur ,Yates,Paradigm,etc).

Last edited:
as a result of the
combination of dense & hard stubble and a blade edge that has the ability to bend inwards ,away from the cap lip .

Not all shavers experience blade chattering,even with DE razors that are prone to it .
Usually it manifests only at the ATG pass and to men with really flat growing stubble at their neck

This is what I get with some blades despite using an extremely rigid and we'll clamping razor (piccolo). Strange how it doesn't matter how sharp the blade is for me, it will either chatter or it won't. It was 10x worse when using old Gillette's and a de89 too. I think those of us with very flat growing beards need to use a different angle and pressure approach compared to those with beards that grow out and away from the face. I've been experimenting lately and found the best way to mitigate the chatter is to shave very shallow atg and use long steady strokes. If I don't do this and experience the blade chattering then it causes random nicks and cuts all over due to the blade bending and being all over the place. The chatter sounds like clicking to me, almost as if you were scraping the blade across the top of the spring loaded stubble rather than cutting under it and slicing it off. I think the actual sound profile is a mix of the blade and stubble flexing and slapping back/onto the razor blade. But I'm still a little uncertain myself tbh.

1613659448948.png

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I am a long-time daily DE shaver, have collected and shaved with more than 300+ razors, and keep a light touch on the grip, and have heard gents talk about but have never felt 'blade chatter'. Maybe I'm lucky...
Same here. 50 years in and used hundreds of razors, I've got no problem with this in any of my vintage razors, not even sure if it really is a thing.

There are only few vintage razors that are prone to blade chattering.
As I ‘ve already stated not every man will experience blade chattering.
Having not experienced such
a thing does not make you a shaver with an “ über “ technique.
You are just another man ,of those lucky ones, that probably
will never experience such a thing.

The worst blade chatter that i've ever experienced came from the Ming Shi 2000S and the Yaqi SE Katana, which I sold almost immediately after a few shaves with different blades and the results were pretty much the same. Horrible razors! I do get a very small amount of chatter from using my Gillette Super Adjustable Black Beauty 109, Merkur Progress and a few others, but it doesn't affect the shave at all and I like how they shave. The way I test every new razor I get is to put a blade in it and tighten the handle and then try to bend the blade with a fingernail. If I manage to do it very easy, then I would most certainly feel a blade chatter while shaving.

There are only few vintage razors that are prone to blade chattering.
As I ‘ve already stated not every man will experience blade chattering.
Having not experienced such
a thing does not make you a shaver with an “ über “ technique.
You are just another man ,of those lucky ones, that probably
will never experience such a thing.

Agreed, the same can be said about the statement that it takes ultra, mega, super skill to shave with very mild razors and that shaving with very aggressive/efficient razor is for those with sloppy skills and techniques and it's not that hard at all. For instance, I know a guy who shaves with a disposable cartridge razors and he doesn't even use a lubricant on his face while shaving and he doesn't have any problems at all, but that doesn't mean that his skills are amazing or anything. Or that some people can shave their necks ATG with ease and even perform multiple passes without any irritations or cuts. If your face doesn't allow certain things, even if your skills are on par with mr. Miyagi, you will still get bad results.

In regards to blade chatter. I'm assuming what happens is the razor skips as it passes due to the blade catching on stubble or worse yet skin. And rather then cutting the edge will flex and then snap right back. This is probably more common in razors with greater blade exposure and less top cap.

as a result of the

Usually it manifests only at the ATG pass and to men with really flat growing stubble at their neck .

I have this exact problem. The hair on my neck lays flat against my skin and results in horrible blade chatter and irritation if I try to go atg on my neck. I've learned to use a very well supported blade (Ti Timeless .68) and even still I have to avoid a true atg shave. When I do attempt atg, it's at more of a cross between a xtg stroke and atg stroke.

I've used hundreds of razors during 5,000+ DE shaves over 14 years. I've never felt "chatter." I usually tune out when people start referring to it.

Either
A: I'm lucky
or
B: it's attributable to technique in some way.

Maybe my steep angle mitigates it?? No idea.

I cant do ATG under my chin with a DE razor, but I have never had blade chatter with a cart and can do ATG easily under my chin. Is this because those blades are more ridged? Or some other witchcraft?

Steep angle is ideal for stubble growing flat (mainly at the neck). But only when shaving WTG or XTG.

Shaving ATG with steep angle ,
just make things worse if you
have dense,wire-hard,flat growing stubble.It goes beyond
blade chattering,into blade psychedelic dancing territory.

as a result of the

That futul mk2 snmirn might be usable it is not chatter free but a loooot less as a futul and still cheap as chips

I've used hundreds of razors during 5,000+ DE shaves over 14 years. I've never felt "chatter." I usually tune out when people start referring to it.

Either
A: I'm lucky
or
B: it's attributable to technique in some way.

Maybe my steep angle mitigates it?? No idea.

Does the hair on your neck lay flat against your skin or does it grow out perpendicular to your skin? I can go atg on any part of my face where the hair grows perpendicular to my skin but I can't on my neck where it lays flat against my skin. On the neck I get awful blade chatter and irritation if I go atg no matter the technique I use.

Top Bottom