What's new

Blackland Vector Lite

Interested to know which angles people are using. I managed to make the Proline "milder" today with a very shallow angle.
I start shallow with the Vector, matching the angle of the top cap, and tilt the handle down a little to get the blade engagement I’m looking for. I have a goatee, but trim a little between my nose and mustache. For that area It works best to shave pretty steep. The beauty of the Vector is that it shaves really well at all those angles. as long as the appropriate amount of pressure is applied my results are smooth and irritation free.

If the Lite plate offers most of that same flexibility with a milder shave it‘s going to be quite an accomplishment.

I had my first shave with the Vector Lite today, and I came away pleasantly surprised.

I had some Kai Protouch MG blades handy so I popped one in. Unlike my 2 past experiences with the regular Vector, there were no nicks at all and I came away with a decent shave, I'd say comparable to the other razors I have the most experience with (Karve Overlander, ATT X1 Slant, Gillette Tech pre-war, Razorock Lupo). I went with a steeper than neutral angle, tomorrow I will try to go steeper and the day after I may do an entirely against the grain shave. I have some Feather Professionals coming in Weds so I'll be able to see what an unguarded blade will do.

Initial impressions are very positive. It wasn't my closest shave ever, but it *was* my first shave with this razor, and with a guarded blade. I suspect that once I figure out the angle with a guarded blade, the unguarded blade will perform even better. It's too soon to say, but it looks like @Blackland Razors may just have succeeded in putting the ATT X1 Slant into a Vector form factor which would make it my first choice daily shave going forward over the Karve Overlander. I'll need more time to be sure, though.

I had my first shave with the Vector Lite today, and I came away pleasantly surprised.

I had some Kai Protouch MG blades handy so I popped one in. Unlike my 2 past experiences with the regular Vector, there were no nicks at all and I came away with a decent shave, I'd say comparable to the other razors I have the most experience with (Karve Overlander, ATT X1 Slant, Gillette Tech pre-war, Razorock Lupo). I went with a steeper than neutral angle, tomorrow I will try to go steeper and the day after I may do an entirely against the grain shave. I have some Feather Professionals coming in Weds so I'll be able to see what an unguarded blade will do.

Initial impressions are very positive. It wasn't my closest shave ever, but it *was* my first shave with this razor, and with a guarded blade. I suspect that once I figure out the angle with a guarded blade, the unguarded blade will perform even better. It's too soon to say, but it looks like @Blackland Razors may just have succeeded in putting the ATT X1 Slant into a Vector form factor which would make it my first choice daily shave going forward over the Karve Overlander. I'll need more time to be sure, though.

Good to hear! Yes I think an unguarded blade will unlock a closer shave without adding much risk.

Second shave with the Vector Lite, this time with a Schick Proline. As I suspected, unlike the original Vector the Lite plate does not benefit from or need guarded blades. The shave was excellent, as good or better than any shave I got from the ATT X1 Slant. For this shave, I went steeper like I would have with the X1. I even shaved one side plus the neck against the grain with great results and no nicks.

Put simply, this is what I wanted the Vector to be when I first tried it (twice). I feel very safe saying that if you liked the ATT X1 Slant, you'll absolutely love the Vector Lite. In fact, if you like other DE mild razors like the Gillette Tech, Karve Overlander or Razorock Lupo then you'll love the Lite. I really do hate to sound like I'm gushing, but I think I've finally found my Goldilocks razor.

Second shave with the Vector Lite, this time with a Schick Proline. As I suspected, unlike the original Vector the Lite plate does not benefit from or need guarded blades. The shave was excellent, as good or better than any shave I got from the ATT X1 Slant. For this shave, I went steeper like I would have with the X1. I even shaved one side plus the neck against the grain with great results and no nicks.

Put simply, this is what I wanted the Vector to be when I first tried it (twice). I feel very safe saying that if you liked the ATT X1 Slant, you'll absolutely love the Vector Lite. In fact, if you like other DE mild razors like the Gillette Tech, Karve Overlander or Razorock Lupo then you'll love the Lite. I really do hate to sound like I'm gushing, but I think I've finally found my Goldilocks razor.
Congrats Mikey on the Vector Lite. I can’t wait for Shane to release the Vector Lite in Ti. I will purchase it in seconds. I feel that I can only use my Vector Ti every 2 days but not every day. This will fit perfectly in my rotation.

Are you able to compare to other mild ACs -- other than the X1? I'm thinking of La Faulx, General or the Mongoose.

I don't get knicks with the regular Vector but can't, or won't use it with prolines all week. My smoothest blade. The Kai Milds just aren't mild especially ATG. They are completely different in the X1. My other Blackland, the Sabre, although not AC is far more comfortable ATG.

Curious if any other Vector users have had bad results with Feather Pro-guard. I've got the regular SS Vector, and I tried the proguard blades which just massacred my neck in each of 3 attempts.

The Feather Professionals are much gentler and work better for me.

Curious if any other Vector users have had bad results with Feather Pro-guard. I've got the regular SS Vector, and I tried the proguard blades which just massacred my neck in each of 3 attempts.

The Feather Professionals are much gentler and work better for me.
Man, it's just such a subjective experience for each user. For me, I haven't had a single good shave with any variant of a Feather AC blade in my SS Vector. The only blades I've liked over my 4 years of ownership are Kai (pinks & guarded) and Schick Pro Lines. YMMV most assuredly...

Very interesting. I find the vector neither mild or aggressive but for the first few months it felt more aggressive with more blade feel than I was used to. Now I just find it incredibly efficient and usually just do one pass shaves with it. But the lite plate perks my interest and will check on price and availability. Good move Shane.

I think the change in the reputation comes from the inevitable comparison of Vector to other AC razors that popped up in 2023, namely Yaqi and Shield, and maybe Atelier Durdan La Faulx.

Competition could have an effect, but it’s not clear to what extent. Does every person who finds the Vector too blade-forward also own one of those razors to compare it to? Probably not.

I think it’s just like shifting cultural tastes. Hard to pin down to any one thing.

I think it’s just like shifting cultural tastes. Hard to pin down to any one thing.
Or perhaps normal progress how people learn to shave and enjoy it. For daily shaver with experience is in my opinion better milder razor, with proper use same or almost same results are possible as with aggressive one. But of course, for beginner is much easier to use razors with more positive blade exposure because effective angle is much wider, it just works..

Top Bottom