What's new

Blackland Blackbird vs Lambda Athena

The BB Ti is the Miata (light and whips around, but a less comfortable ride). The GMC Yukon or Cadillac Escalade is the Athena, not as nimble, not as fast but a smoother, more comfortable ride.

I have owned at least 3 of each razor above and am familiar with both.

However - I have really sensitive skin (folliculitis and psoriasis) so I’m not a normal case.

I also get a better shave from the Salient than most razors, so for 100 dollars you can’t beat it.
Great, thanks for the input!

I once owned a Timeless Ti95DC that got me to a 2.5 pass 16+hr BBS on average and was very satisfied with that razor for 3+yrs as my only razor!! That was until Blackland finally came out with the Ti Blackbird and from the very 1st shave I really never wanted to pick up the Timeless again as the Ti Blackbird was a 2.5 pass 20+hr BBS on average and within a couple months of not picking up the Timeless it had to go to a home where someone would actually use it... If I was to suggest something that could deliver something close to the Ti Blackbird it would be the Ti95 Timeless looking back on it.

I picked up a Ti Wolfman WR2 1.25 mostly because of the high praise being very equal to the Ti Blackbird but it was very short lived and had to move it on as it just couldn't give me what the Ti Blackbird could and although it was a very costly lesson it was one that had to be experienced first hand!! Never again!!

Though I've never tried one, the Athena and Ares are very popular razors for sure and quite a few guys like them but there seems to be quite a few hitting the BST's on a few forums lately from what I've seen and I suspect it's because it is in the "mild" category and takes a bit more to attain what some are looking for. The other thing I have noticed is for most that actually own the Athena or Ares, they also own multiple razors and use them in a rotation which I find very unnecessary when a razor like the Ti Blackbird get's me a BBS that lasts so long I only need to shave every other day because it leaves so little stubble at the 24hr mark to even try to remove!!

as the Ti Blackbird was a 2.5 pass 20+hr BBS on average
In a contradictory way this is actually very useful information for me not to buy the BB. I am not sure if I actually want a 20+hr BBS. Sounds like I wouldn’t be able to shave daily. And then again it is such a staple in shaving history I feel I need to at least know how it shaves, right?!

Thanks again for the input as my current top razor is my Ti95 (even though I have an Athena).

Cheers,

Guido

Scalloped. Not OC! For some reason. I think I already elaborated why a Timeless OC is a must! :)
Indeed - I might need to check that out more than I need to check a BB. Wondering if it should be .95 or .68 - but I have already asked that in the past I believe.

I've never tried the Blackbird and what I'm about to write is weird but it is my experience nonetheless.
The Lambda Athena is both the most efficient and most mild/low blade feel/comfortable razor I've ever used.
For reference razors I've used: (GameChanger 68P, 84P, Edwin Jagger 3one6, Muhle Rocca, Henson Medium, Karve Overlander, Edwin Jagger DE89, Razorock SLOC, Razorock Lupo 95).
Ok, perhaps the Lupo 95 was a tad more efficient than the Athena but with way way more blade feel.

In other words Theo really is a wizard and performed a move out of Harry Potter by designing the Lambda Athena, it is both highly efficient and extremely comfortable.

After having read people describing the Blackland Blackbird, it seems quite different from the Athena. It's basically a highly efficient razor, possibly even more than the Athena but with significant blade feel. So I guess the question is, do you enjoy blade feel ?

Also they sport very different looks, the Athena looks like an ancient Greek treasure, a piece of jewelry shipped in a beautiful matching mahogany case, truly a feast of the eyes, I could put it on display on a shelf as decoration if I did not want to use it.

The Blackland Blackbird has a modern high tech tool look, in a way it deserves its name after the Lockheed Martin SR 71, which also looked like a bad a** cutting edge looking jet.

Both have received tons of praise by the community although, my non scientific anecdotal experience seems to suggest the Blackbird is more polarizing due to blade feel, lots of people love it and lots of people say it did not work for them.

Best of luck with your choice. Let us know how it goes.

In a contradictory way this is actually very useful information for me not to buy the BB. I am not sure if I actually want a 20+hr BBS. Sounds like I wouldn’t be able to shave daily. And then again it is such a staple in shaving history I feel I need to at least know how it shaves, right?!

Thanks again for the input as my current top razor is my Ti95 (even though I have an Athena).

Cheers,

Guido

That's why the Blackbird Lite exists.

Another good option is the Yates 921. A few months ago I've read that most people who enjoy the Blackbird also like the Yates 921 with either the M, H or EH plate. I was very sceptical at first, because the head geometry of the Yates 921 didn't look like much to me, but my RAD got the better of me and I've decided to give it a try.

It was pretty clear that the M plate was very mild and very few people like it, while the H and the EH were pretty close with the EH being a bit more efficient with a slightly more blade feel while still being very smooth and I've decided to go with the EH and see how it goes. I've picked up titanium, since it was slightly more expensive compared to stainless steel and I've picked up the scalloped version instead of the smooth or the OC.

My first shave wasn't the best, but it was my fault for underestimating the razor and after that it was a smooth sailing shave after shave. I consider the Yates 921 to be equal to the Blackbird, but both razors are very different. While the Blackbird for me is a full autopilot razor, which I can use without even trying, the Yates does require a little attention just to keep you from falling a sleep and it's also quite easy and enjoyable to use. The Yates is also a very steep shaver, like very steep. It's probably the steepest razor I've ever used to date and I really like it because of that.

Now, that's just my personal experience with those razors, so you have to take all of that with a huge grain of salt, because while I'm not a fan of super aggressive razors, I do find the Blackbird to be as comfortable as a Tech and as efficient as say Fatip Grande. Others, however find the Blackbird to be on the aggressive side and the same goes for the Yates 921. I also don't know how the M and H plates perform or the OC version of the Yates.

That's what I would recommend, but I can't give you any guarantees that the Yates would work for you.

The blackbird ti lite seems to be what you are looking for. And it can be returned if you aren’t a 100% happy.
Very good point that I missed in my post. Blackland Razors has a very useable return policy. Not sure how that works with Lambda razors considering shipping from Greece to North America (if you are in NA) can be expensive.

To be honest, I feel like it's practically impossible to be disappointed by the Athena but who knows, thread author could be one of the rare ones.

Cheers,

Guido

Depends on your beard.
I use the blackbird and do 4 passes every single day to get a BBS that lasts into late evening.
No other razor is as deep cutting as the blackbird!

I have the SS, Ti BB, Athena and Ares. Tops for me is the Ti BB but the Athena isn’t too far behind. They are totally different shavers but yield similar results. The BB shave does last a little longer. I’m a daily shaver so longevity isn’t a main concern.

I do prefer the blade feel of the BB but there is something about the Athena that keeps me using it….hard to describe. The Ares is also a good shaver I’m just not as keen on it as the Athena.

Maybe look into the Yates 921-H. This is my second favorite razor. Close shaves like the BB with a tad less blade feel. I have the SS and Ti in this bad boy as well. I like the Ti better. I’m turning into a lighter razor fan.

I have the SS, Ti BB, Athena and Ares. Tops for me is the Ti BB but the Athena isn’t too far behind. They are totally different shavers but yield similar results. The BB shave does last a little longer. I’m a daily shaver so longevity isn’t a main concern.

I do prefer the blade feel of the BB but there is something about the Athena that keeps me using it….hard to describe. The Ares is also a good shaver I’m just not as keen on it as the Athena.

Maybe look into the Yates 921-H. This is my second favorite razor. Close shaves like the BB with a tad less blade feel. I have the SS and Ti in this bad boy as well. I like the Ti better. I’m turning into a lighter razor fan.
I have a blackbird in ss and a vector in ss. I know most people like the ti better but I actually prefer heavier razors and really like the weight of the ss. The vector is a different razor but it is lighter and I prefer the weight of the ss blackbird.

Blackbird Ti Lite user.
Received the Athena a month ago. Used it regularly. I'm back to the Blackbird Ti Lite.
I fine the Athena, somewhat counterintuitive, more irritating. Maybe me, maybe the negative blade exposure.
I seem to recall a post by Shane on this subject regarding "mild" razors. I agree.
Once I got use to the Blackbird blade feel I find it very smooth.

Blackbird Ti Lite user.
Received the Athena a month ago. Used it regularly. I'm back to the Blackbird Ti Lite.
I fine the Athena, somewhat counterintuitive, more irritating. Maybe me, maybe the negative blade exposure.
I seem to recall a post by Shane on this subject regarding "mild" razors. I agree.
Once I got use to the Blackbird blade feel I find it very smooth.
Shane considers blade feel (as distinguished from mildness) to be a positive attribute because you get feedback before doing damage. This makes sense to me, as long as your mistakes don't result in skin loss.

This latter attribute (slicing pieces of skin) seems to be the key issue for those who don't bond with the regular Blackbird.

I agree that inefficient (not necessarily mild) razors can be more irritating, due requiring extra passes.

I've been curious about the Lite, but comments about the Athena being mild give me pause. I can get DFS+ to BBS with both my Overlander and Athena (in 2.5 passes), with the Athena being about a "half click" more efficient as well as aggressive than my Overlander.

The Athena is about (or possibly beyond) my limit in this regard.

So, I wonder about the Lite, and whether experimenting with it will have me suffering for a couple of weeks as I have with a couple of failed experiments this past year.

I know ... there's only one way to find out, and I'll watch this thread for additional data points before taking a chance.

... Thom

Shane considers blade feel (as distinguished from mildness) to be a positive attribute because you get feedback before doing damage. This makes sense to me, as long as your mistakes don't result in skin loss.

This latter attribute (slicing pieces of skin) seems to be the key issue for those who don't bond with the regular Blackbird.

I agree that inefficient (not necessarily mild) razors can be more irritating, due requiring extra passes.

I've been curious about the Lite, but comments about the Athena being mild give me pause. I can get DFS+ to BBS with both my Overlander and Athena (in 2.5 passes), with the Athena being about a "half click" more efficient as well as aggressive than my Overlander.

The Athena is about (or possibly beyond) my limit in this regard.

So, I wonder about the Lite, and whether experimenting with it will have me suffering for a couple of weeks as I have with a couple of failed experiments this past year.

I know ... there's only one way to find out, and I'll watch this thread for additional data points before taking a chance.

... Thom

Good questions here. The Blackbird Lite has a really small gap and a bit of blade feel. This combination makes it difficult (but not impossible) to get nicks or cuts. Of course, that doesn't mean you'll like it as blade feel can be polarizing, but I wouldn't worry too much about getting hacked up by the Blackbird Lite - there's not enough gap to lose much skin.

Good questions here. The Blackbird Lite has a really small gap and a bit of blade feel. This combination makes it difficult (but not impossible) to get nicks or cuts. Of course, that doesn't mean you'll like it as blade feel can be polarizing, but I wouldn't worry too much about getting hacked up by the Blackbird Lite - there's not enough gap to lose much skin.
Thanks Shane. I've had a perilous journey, but the principles you lay out in how to approach this "blood sport" are some of the most well considered thoughts on the interwebz.

... Thom

Top Bottom