What's new

Blackland Blackbird vs Lambda Athena

Couldn’t find a lot of information on this comparison. I have the Blackbird in SS and it is the best razor I have used. It is very efficient yet smooth, absolutely love this razor. However I have been eyeing the Athena and want to know from owners that have both, how it compares. I am on the waitlist for the stainless version.

Couldn’t find a lot of information on this comparison. I have the Blackbird in SS and it is the best razor I have used. It is very efficient yet smooth, absolutely love this razor. However I have been eyeing the Athena and want to know from owners that have both, how it compares. I am on the waitlist for the stainless version.

If I recall correctly, the Athena has a bigger gap but much smaller exposure.
So you may be very disappointed with it.

I've become so accustomed to the blackbird exposure that I have HATED every other razor I've used since getting the blackbird two years ago!

If I recall correctly, the Athena has a bigger gap but much smaller exposure.
So you may be very disappointed with it.

I've become so accustomed to the blackbird exposure that I have HATED every other razor I've used since getting the blackbird two years ago!
Yeah I am at the point of selling all other de razors and just keeping one de razor, the blackbird. The Athena really grabbed my attention so wanted to get a better comparison, but if it’s not as good or better than the blackbird then I may just have to pass on it.

I don't have the Athena but I have a Lambda Ares and polished Blackbird. The end result is the same but they feel very different. Both are excellent don't get me wrong but I prefer the Lambda. I don't know how Theo achieved this but the razor feels very mild, with minimal blade feel and exposure but super efficient. I have a big collection of modern and vintage razors and I prefer efficient ones. If I have to rank my top three the Lambda is the first. Blackbird second and Alpha Outlaw third.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Nobody can solve this for you. The Blackbird OC is probably the most efficient, but it is an entirely different beast compared to the Ares and Athena. I would give the Blackbird SB slightly higher efficiency, but it is a comparison of very different styles and razors.

Felix above already mentioned the Lambda thing, being very efficient despite being super safe and mild.

I solve the actually non-existing dilemma by just keeping the Blackbird with OC and SB baseplate and the Lambda Ares and Athena. This one razor stuff makes me sad.

What I like about the Blackbird is that it has a fitting stand, even if my longer handle version easily tilts in it. The Lambda comes in a wooden box that is nice, but I really would rather have a stand for it.

I own both the Blackbird SS SB and the Athena.
I get great results with each, but the Blackbird yields a slightly closer 3-pass shave.

If you want to improve upon your Blackbird,
you might also consider a Ti Blackbird?
Many Members here have touted the noticeable improvement of Ti over SS in a Blackbird.
(I'm considering this myself)

I've used both, but only kept the Blackbird. I've used the Athena 4-5 times and I was not satisfied with the results and ended up selling mine. The Blackbird is my favorite autopilot razor, which I can use in any direction and do as many pases as I please until I get a BBS without the slightest hint of irretation across my face.

I get great results with each, but the Blackbird yields a slightly closer 3-pass shave.

Many Members here have touted the noticeable improvement of Ti over SS in a Blackbird.

I have to agree, get the Ti Bird over the Athena

I have the BB SS SB, BB Brass OC, Athena and Ares. I can achieve 14 hour shaves are with each. With the Lambda razors there is much less blade feel and IMHO they can be put on auto for a close comfortable shave. BBs require attention for me, especially around the chin area. They are all in my razor rotation, but the Lambda's keep jumping the line.

Yeah I am at the point of selling all other de razors and just keeping one de razor, the blackbird. The Athena really grabbed my attention so wanted to get a better comparison, but if it’s not as good or better than the blackbird then I may just have to pass on it.

I've reaching the point where I no longer feel the need to try more razors and am very content using the blackbird daily.

I don't have the Athena but I have a Lambda Ares and polished Blackbird. The end result is the same but they feel very different. Both are excellent don't get me wrong but I prefer the Lambda. I don't know how Theo achieved this but the razor feels very mild, with minimal blade feel and exposure but super efficient. I have a big collection of modern and vintage razors and I prefer efficient ones. If I have to rank my top three the Lambda is the first. Blackbird second and Alpha Outlaw third.

Interesting you rank the outlaw so highly.
Don't you find that it's far too mild compared to blackbird?

The outlaw couldn't even give me a BBS even after my 4 passes, whereas the blackbird leaves my skin as smooth as glass!!

Wow that is good to hear, interesting!

Nobody can solve this for you. The Blackbird OC is probably the most efficient, but it is an entirely different beast compared to the Ares and Athena. I would give the Blackbird SB slightly higher efficiency, but it is a comparison of very different styles and razors.

Felix above already mentioned the Lambda thing, being very efficient despite being super safe and mild.

I solve the actually non-existing dilemma by just keeping the Blackbird with OC and SB baseplate and the Lambda Ares and Athena. This one razor stuff makes me sad.

What I like about the Blackbird is that it has a fitting stand, even if my longer handle version easily tilts in it. The Lambda comes in a wooden box that is nice, but I really would rather have a stand for it.
Thanks for the opinion, I have other razors and am not opposed to having more than one. The blackbird is just so good that I am trying to find another razor that can match it . I under the Athena is a different style of razor but from everything I have heard it seems to be very well liked and regarded. I guess I will add it to my collection!

That is very helpful info, thanks!

I've used both, but only kept the Blackbird. I've used the Athena 4-5 times and I was not satisfied with the results and ended up selling mine. The Blackbird is my favorite autopilot razor, which I can use in any direction and do as many pases as I please until I get a BBS without the slightest hint of irretation across my face.
What did you not like about the Athena?

I have the BB SS SB, BB Brass OC, Athena and Ares. I can achieve 14 hour shaves are with each. With the Lambda razors there is much less blade feel and IMHO they can be put on auto for a close comfortable shave. BBs require attention for me, especially around the chin area. They are all in my razor rotation, but the Lambda's keep jumping the line.
Good to know, Thanks!

Top Bottom