What's new

Black synthetic fiber brush and soap scum

I clean my razor at each blade change to get rid of soap scum.

I rarely clean my boars, only when they stiffen up.

With several months of daily usage, will brushes with black synthetic fibers stay dark or does soap scum build up and turn them gray?

Pictures would be great!

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
20230727_150424.jpg
I've been using a Yaqi Synthetic Tuxedo for 4 years now. While I can't see deep into the base of the not, there has been no buildup of any nasties in the brush. No special treatment has been provided, I simply thoroughly rinse the brush, firmly shake it out into the shower and twirl it gently around a bath towel after use. I do allow a day between uses and rotate in a different brush.

Post Script-

After snapping a pic it would appear that I may lack attention to detail as there seems to be a bit of buildup right at the base of the brush where the knot meets the handle. I am confident that some warm water and love would remedy this.

Thank you Chef, that looks okay.

I was afraid the brush would scream “wash me” after a short period of use…kinda like the razor does after using Proraso for a week.
… No special treatment has been provided, I simply thoroughly rinse the brush, firmly shake it out into the shower and twirl it gently around a bath towel after use...

I just rinse the brush and flick it in the direction of the shower curtain until I don’t hear any droplets hitting it, then call it a day.

You can clean your brushes from time to time with dish detergent. There are also brush cleaning soaps like Ship-Shape sold by barber/beauty supply stores. Just do all your brushes at once.

1690560394251.png

You can clean your brushes from time to time with dish detergent. There are also brush cleaning soaps like Ship-Shape sold by barber/beauty supply stores. Just do all your brushes at once.

Thank you for the suggestion. Is the product same for natural bristle like boar, badger and horse?

Dawn works just fine whenever I do decide to clean them.

Thank you for the suggestion. Is the product same for natural bristle like boar, badger and horse?

Dawn works just fine whenever I do decide to clean them.

This is made for commercial barber shops & beauty salons and it is strong. It will strip off any buildup and make all kinds of brushes almost like new. It can irritate the skin, so rubber gloves are suggested. Kind of like Spic N Span for brushes, combs, etc.

This is made for commercial barber shops & beauty salons and it is strong. It will strip off any buildup and make all kinds of brushes almost like new. It can irritate the skin, so rubber gloves are suggested. Kind of like Spic N Span for brushes, combs, etc.
My first thoughts match your comments - that a commercial product like this would prioritize disinfection characteristics, and it might be too aggressive - that it's something you might want to do for a used brush, but not on a regular/production basis for your own gear.

The most aggressive product I'd use is Dawn, or alternatively a gentle shampoo - the latter for natural hair bristles.

... Thom

My first thoughts match your comments - that a commercial product like this would prioritize disinfection characteristics, and it might be too aggressive - that it's something you might want to do for a used brush, but not on a regular/production basis for your own gear.

The most aggressive product I'd use is Dawn, or alternatively a gentle shampoo - the latter for natural hair bristles.

... Thom

Dawn or shampoo is not aggressive at all, basically they're just gentle detergents. All I was trying to say is if a person should need more than that then other products such as Ship-Shape are available.

As everyone else has said, anything from occasionally using normal hand soap or dish soap will work to clean to the brush of buildup. Personally, I use shampoo & conditioner (even if it is a synth) every 3-4 months when I give all my razors a proper clean and polish. If there is significant build-up, soaking in diluted white vinegar after rinsing it in soapy water for a few minutes and then palm lathering and then completely rinsing and drying cleans it up completely. This is also how I clean my razors. To answer your question though...no, I haven't had any build up of anything but then again, I clean my stuff regularly so kind of schrodingers answer here.

Top Bottom