What's new

Bibimbab

It's Korean food and tasting delicious. The small Korean restaurant whose owner my family is friends with is serving it in stone ware :w00t:.

not actually photos I took but these are Creative Commons on flickr

I'm surprised no one on B&B has mentioned Korean food yet. Anyone who's addicted to Kimchi (lower right corner of 2nd picture) aswell?

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Good stuff! A European Deli a couple blocks away from my work was taken over by a Korean couple a few years ago, and they served Bibimbap twice a week. :tongue_sm

They just sold out to someone else, so my bibimbap supply is gone. :frown:

A while back, I mentioned the Kimchi my neighbor brings to our house every few months or so. They bury it in the back yard for a few months to let it get nice and ripe, then distribute it to the neighbors.

Actually, in the hot stone bowl, its Dolsot Bibimbab. Bibimbab basically means stirred rice, dolsot refers to the hot stone bowl (I'm assuming the bowl pictured is heated). It's just no fun without the hot bowl crisping the rice.

GREAT stuff and one of my favorite Korean dishes.

For those of you having trouble finding a good Korean place, look around Army bases. I have found, generally speaking, that if there's an Army base there's likely to be a good Korean place somewhere in the vicinity.

Stone Bowl: One of my favorite Korean dishes, esepcially in the winter months.

Kimchi: Ive heard it said that there are as many different recipies for Kimchi as there are grandmothers in Korea. Yeah the real ones get buried in the back yard over the winter months.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
A Korean place near where I work said they serve bibimbap, but I guess I must have misunderstood them. :001_rolle

When I was growing up I had a korean friend who lived across the street. My introduction to Kimchi came when I was 8. I love the stuff, but am kinda scared to make it myself.

I havn't had bibimbap yet, but I'm a big fan of chap jae.

Oh, I love bibimbap. There's a restaurant up the street from my office that serves it. If I go there for lunch and order it, I'm ready for a good long and happy nap, or an unproductive afternoon at a bare minimum. I love slathering some hot sauce over it for some extra kick.

Great stuff! I had never heard of it before, but when I was in Halifax last summer I stumbled across it at a sushi joint (of all places.)

After much searching, I found a Korean store in town that sells the Dolsots and the pepper sauce, so now I can make it any time I like!

I did, however, make a few bad scorch marks on our kitchen table despite placing the dolsots on a thick ceramic tile. Fortunately, SWMBO enjoyed it enough that there was no fallout.

I love slathering some hot sauce over it for some extra kick.
Last time when I had Bibimbab I forgot to stir well enough. Together with the Kimchi it was on the verge of being not so delicious anymore.
bored.gif
(the sweat was pouring all over me) But once I came to the rice and the meat things returned to normal spiciness.
I'm not too big on kimchi, but I like bibimbab.
Bulgogi is quite tastey as well.
Thanks! I'll try that next time.

For those of you having trouble finding a good Korean place, look around Army bases. I have found, generally speaking, that if there's an Army base there's likely to be a good Korean place somewhere in the vicinity.

That's absolutely fact. Look for an army base and you will find Korean food. If you are in the vicinity of Ft. Campbell you will find several on 41A (the main drag) I think that MO MO and BE WON are the two favored. MO MO being favored more.

SWMBO and I get Korean all the time. There is a little mom and pop operation in our city that has been around for ever. Oddly enough, it's called the Bulgogi House. When they bring out the bibimbab in the hot stone bowl, they put on how much hot sauce you want and stir it for you. The way that the rice crisps is absolutely amazing. They also make a spicy pork bulgogi that is out of this world. The best part though has to be the unlimited steamed rice, kimchi, and steamed bean sprout salad. Quickest service in town too.

Now I'm hungry.:blush:

I was stationed in Korea in 1961. At that time the military would place off-limits to any restaurants that weren't approved by US inspectors. 18 year old smart guy that I was at the time, with a weekend pass to Seoul, I decided to eat anywhere I pleased. I was ok for a day. I was violently ill for the next week. I couldn't sleep through the night or make a formation. Horrible! To this day I can't bring myself to eat Korean food. You can have my portion.

Top Bottom