What's new

Bevel Setting? The Long and Short of it.

Hello Gentlemen.

On the advice of a member here, I'm waiting to hone razors until I have a really good feel for what a comfortable razor feels like on my face and I'm beyond the point of irritation induced by poor shaving technique. I have some good examples, a razor from Seraphim, Buca, and a Whipped Dog. All provide comfortable shaves.

Anyway, in anticipation, I'm wondering how long do you spend, or have you spent, setting a bevel?

What's the least amount of time?

The greatest amount of time?

What were your tools?

I assume results are variable considering the type of stones or films, steel, and technique...

Answers are greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Much more important is the condition of the razor when you start. If it's just dull but otherwise in good nick, it doesn't take but a few minutes. If there are geometry issues or heavy damage it's a different story. The thickness of the steel behind the edge (wedge, 1/4 hollow, 1/2 hollow, full hollow, etc.) also makes a difference as that determines whether you can use any real pressure. The longest it's ever taken me is probably in excess of two hours, but that was with an eBay razor that had geometry issues and was VERY thin behind the edge (about .003" - .004") which meant I couldn't really use any pressure, because the blade would just flex. Because of the thin steel, it has a set amount of pressure that can be applied.

Last edited:
Much more important is the condition of the razor when you start. If it's just dull but otherwise in good nick, it doesn't take but a few minutes. If there are geometry issues or heavy damage it's a different story. The thickness of the steel behind the edge (wedge, 1/4 hollow, 1/2 hollow, full hollow, etc.) also makes a difference as that determines whether you can use any real pressure. The longest it's ever taken me is probably in excess of two hours, but that was with an eBay razor that had geometry issues and was VERY thin behind the edge (about .003" - .004") which meant I couldn't really use any pressure, because the blade would just flex. Because of the thin steel, it has a set amount of pressure that can be applied.

Thank you for the response.

From minutes to months to some that are never quite done.

I used a King 1K for a long while and picked up a Shapton Pro 1.5K last year to replace the King. Particularly stubborn blades go to a very well worn DMT D8C.

As was said it depends on the condition and what you are using. I have chosera 400 and 600 for heavy work, the 400 kicks butt with slurry! So thats my go to if i need it. I have diamond plates but dont use them often if at all. I can put 60 laps a minute easy on a stone doing half strokes so thats where I pick up time.

As was said it depends on the condition and what you are using. I have chosera 400 and 600 for heavy work, the 400 kicks butt with slurry! So thats my go to if i need it. I have diamond plates but dont use them often if at all. I can put 60 laps a minute easy on a stone doing half strokes so thats where I pick up time.

Thanks Buca. I'm sure laps/min improve with experience. I anticipate I'll be moving pretty slow for awhile in the beginning.

+1

Thanks Buca. I'm sure laps/min improve with experience. I anticipate I'll be moving pretty slow for awhile in the beginning.
Well it will but accuracy is what you are after, one bad stroke can add 100 good ones to correct or more, Depending on where you are.

On the advice of a member here, I'm waiting to hone razors until I have a really good feel for what a comfortable razor feels like on my face and I'm beyond the point of irritation induced by poor shaving technique. I have some good examples, a razor from Seraphim, Buca, and a Whipped Dog. All provide comfortable shaves.

Just start honing.

Top Bottom