What's new

Best Way to Break in a DMT?

In acquiring a new DMT Duosharp or Diasharp, there is always the problem of scratching either a stone or a razor during the first few uses as the diamonds have not been worn enough. Obviously, just grinning and bearing it until the hone has become sufficiently worn is one method. But I'm wondering what other methods might be used before the diamond hone meets its first real stone or razor. Any suggestions?

I use a piece of steel angle iron, put the plate in a stone holder 2 hands and have at it, rinse and do again. Or you can lap a cnat if you have one(LOL).

I touched up a machete with it. I figured since the machete runs over the whole (in my case) 3 inches, it would be more uniform than a screw driver etc.

Drive over it with a grader.

$2005_CATERPILLAR_160H_VHP_PLUS_MOTOR_GRADER.jpg

I have thought to use old beater razors, sort of like smoothing an Arkansas stone. I like the coarse Caborundum stone recommendation, although if it's "oil-filled" or surfaced with oil, that could pose a problem.

What about "lapping" a DMT with w/d sandpaper to break it in?

Last edited:
No problem with oil on/in the stone. None. Best option I've found yet.
For me - it's a good way to kill two birds with one stone.

It's more I use the Washitas on w/d SiC sandpaper laid flat on a granite slab with water. Never had the same problems I've had with Arkansas stones in this regard. SiC powder directly on a granite slab is a last stop measure, I'll suppose, to avoid trashing the expensive diamond plate.

Top Bottom