What's new

Best Value Brushes

A friend of mine would like to buy her husband a shaving kit for Christmas and has asked me to help her put something together that's not too expensive. I can manage the razor/soap/cream/AS/stand myself but I'm not familiar with good solid value options in a brush.

Any recommendations in the follwing categories?:

1. Best Cheapy Brush Bar None.

2. Best Brush Under $50.00.

3. Best Sky's The Limit Value Pick.

Any and all suggestions are welcome! Thanks a lot!

#1 http://vintagescent.com/shaving-brushes-c-5/semogue-owners-club-brush-ash-wood-p-99

OK, not the absolute cheapest, but for just an extra 10 euros, you get one of the best possible brushes, money no object, at the same time!

#2 push that $50 to $65 and simpson's colonel.

#3 get a simpson brush with the knot you want, break the handle and reset knot in a custom-made handle from glenn ey or rudy vey.

v.

1) Tweezerman (c'mon...under $15 and often on sale for $10).

2) My "greys" brush from Emsplace/Shaveplace...under $40 and after a break-in period it has become my favorite "every day" brush.

3) VLB (though no longer in production), or one of the obscenely-priced HMW Plisson's. :)

+1 on the tweezerman.

I've had a bit of a PM conversation with njpaddy. (Huge thanks, by the way. You are a true gentleman.) My previous conclusion that a Colonel is a Berkeley +1 is a bit off. He said he could explain the differences a bit.

njpaddy said:
It all depends on what you like in a brush. If you like it on the stiff side where it doesn't spread out on the face, you can't beat the Berkeley. I've had 6 Simpsons and even the denser ones at twice the price splay on the face more than the Berkeley. Granted the others are softer than the Berkeley.

My first Simpson was a Colonel. I recommended it in that thread because it's a great brush for someone starting out without much to compare it to and I liked it better than my previous brushes. I used it until I got the Berkeley. After using the Berkeley for a month I gave the Colonel to my son-in-law. Once I got used to the stiffness/backbone on the Berkeley I couldn't go back to the Colonel.

One problem with the current Colonels is the loft. It's advertised at 46mm, but the ones I've seen for sale seem to be running 49-51 which in my opinion means less backbone. Mine was 48 and I thought that was too high. Of course you could always contact Mark at Simpson to get one with the loft you want. I did that with one of my brushes and Mark was very helpful.

Closest brush to the feel of a Berkeley with a slightly bigger, denser knot is the Duke 1. It runs about the same price as a Colonel. My D1 has a loft around 44mm which is perfect for me. It splays more on the face than the Berkeley, but it's softer while still retaining some scritch. It does have a smaller (5mm) handle than the Berkeley, but I don't notice the difference in use since I only face lather.

Hope some of this helps. I didn't want you thinking the Colonel was a bigger Berkeley. There are no bigger Berkeleys, it's one of a kind.

I replied with:
Sunburst said:
Hmm, well that's something to chew on I guess. My Berkeley has plenty of backbone, splays fairly well and is pretty much everything I want. Except a hair bigger and a bit softer. I wouldn't call it scritchy by any means, but it scrubs well. I had a Classic 1 that I thought I would adore, but I just didn't like it. Way too dense, you had to pry the lather out of it. It had scritchiness to it. Bowl lathered like a savage beast though. Maybe I'll try one in Super or I'll just order some knots and handles from TGN. I'd like to try the super, silvertip short loft, st-a and finest while I'm at it.

I've also been considering a Rooney or SR. Too many decisions on a budget is a tricky thing, especially when I love and use my Berkeley everyday.

To which he was equally awesome in response:

njpaddy said:
I also had a Rooney 3/1 Super and a SR. The Rooney was my only brush for over a year and I loved it until I got the Colonel. Once I got the Colonel I found the Rooney too "moppy". I also thought the Rooney did not release lather as easily as my Simpsons. The SR3722 was like lathering with a feather duster it was so soft. The handle and knot were just too big for me when I switched to face lathering and I sold it to buy another small Simpson. Must admit that the SR was luxurious.

The take-away is: The Berkeley and Colonel are not really alike at all. There is nothing else really like a Berk. The Colonel is an amazing brush in its own right, best left to be explained by those who have used it. ie, not me. I still need to figure out what my dream brush is. Price is not a concern per se. I'm not in it to spend money, but if I have to, I will.

I don't mean to derail this thread, but more or less clear up an incorrect assertion that I made publicly. I hope that helps some of (or all of, I'm not picky and I love parentheticals) you out.

Tim

Top Bottom