What's new

Best Value Brushes

A friend of mine would like to buy her husband a shaving kit for Christmas and has asked me to help her put something together that's not too expensive. I can manage the razor/soap/cream/AS/stand myself but I'm not familiar with good solid value options in a brush.

Any recommendations in the follwing categories?:

1. Best Cheapy Brush Bar None.

2. Best Brush Under $50.00.

3. Best Sky's The Limit Value Pick.

Any and all suggestions are welcome! Thanks a lot!

I think the Frank Shaving brushes from Ian Tang on ebay are great values. I would recommend the finest badger not silvertip. I have several and have not been disappointed.
Aaron

1. Best Cheapy Brush Bar None.
Semogue 1305. An absolute steal at 13,95 euro.
Here at Vintagescent.

2. Best Brush Under $50.00.
+1 on the Simpsons 46 Berkeley.
Here at WCS.

And the Semogue Owners Club Brush.
Here at Vintagescent.

3. Best Sky's The Limit Value Pick.
Muhle Silvertip Fibers.
Second to none.

42 euros at the Muhle shop.

In the Simpson line, the Berkeley in Best is the best bang for the buck at $50. For a person that's not sure what he likes in a brush and wants a Simpson, the Simpson Colonel ($65) is a good one. It has a slightly bigger knot and handle than the Berkeley and is a bit softer. The Colonel is a great all-around brush.

I would say the Berkeley would be the ideal starter brush. Just a very nice, balanced, all-around brush. Wouldn't go smaller.

I don't have any experience with other brushes but I'm still using a silvertip brush I got from aceshaving on ebay for $17 shipped. It's been very good for face lathering and was shedding a hair every other use for the first month but rarely loses any now.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
1&2: Simpson Special (no experience with Berkeley or I might have suggested it)

3: truly no limit: Plisson HMW size 12 or 16
3: a little limit: CH2 or 3 in Super

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
If you like Black Badger...I really enjoy my Parker Black Badger and although I have owned this Brush for at least a year and that even the hair has really ‘softened’ however, it may never be as soft on my face as higher grades of badger hair, but in my opinion...it is the best Black Badger Brush for your money. :thrumbups:

Best Brush Under $50.00

1. Parker Black Badger Brush - $25.88US w/ shipping

proxy.php
"Laughter is the [shaving] brush that sweeps away the cobwebs of your heart." Mort Walker

Attached Image - My Parker Black Badger Brush.

Attachments

• $P1010005-2.jpg
    $P1010005-2.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 268
In the Simpson line, the Berkeley in Best is the best bang for the buck at $50. For a person that's not sure what he likes in a brush and wants a Simpson, the Simpson Colonel ($65) is a good one. It has a slightly bigger knot and handle than the Berkeley and is a bit softer. The Colonel is a great all-around brush.

Wait... Slightly bigger knot and handle, softer and reportedly a little more dense? Holy crap! I'm getting one now. I don't much love the handle design, but I think I can forgive it that much. I just love my Berk. to death. What you've describe sounds like a Berk. + 1. I am intrigued, so off to the reviews I go.

1) Tweezerman (c'mon...under $15 and often on sale for $10).

2) My "greys" brush from Emsplace/Shaveplace...under $40 and after a break-in period it has become my favorite "every day" brush.

3) VLB (though no longer in production), or one of the obscenely-priced HMW Plisson's. :)

Top Bottom