What's new

Best Pizza?

Wick's in Louisville, KY. It's hands-down the best pizza I've ever eaten. It's a thick crust with amazing sauce and only the best toppings, and comes in absolutely massive sizes to feed a huge group. It's not greasy either, as a lot of places are.

In order of pretentiousness, from the Raleigh-Durham area:
1. Lilly's Pizza - Local/Organic/Hipster. I rarely leave without shaking my head, but the pie is awesome. Dante's Inferno is highly recommended. They just opened a store closer to me (which makes their second).

Thanks for the tip. I haven't tried Lilly's yet, but overall I've been deeply disappointed in NC pizza. It's hard to find something even adequate. Pepper's is the most popular place in Chapel Hill, but funny toppings don't make up for a poor pizza. There's supposed to be a new place opening in Durham in a couple of weeks by a crew with a lot of experience--it'll be called Pizzeria Toro.

My favorite pizza places are John's in New York and Pequod's in Chicago. Haven't been to Pequod's in years but John's was still good the last time I was in New York. Kind of far afield but Savoy in Tokyo makes a fantastic pizza too.

Last edited:
If ever in the northern NJ area of Bergen County, try Kinchleys on Franklin Turnpike in Ramsey or Nellie's Place on Franklin Turnpike in Waldwick. The best thin crust around.

The best pizza I've ever had as at Woodstock's in San Diego.
I can't remember what exactly made it so good, but I do remember every delicious bite.
That was more than 10 years ago.

In order:

Grimaldi's in Brooklyn.

Prima Strada in Victoria, BC (with Buffalo cheese)

I ate nothing but Pizza in Italy and nowhere was anywhere close to the pies on offer at Grimaldi's and Prima Strada.

I'll basically eat any pizza that is on the table.

But lately, when I want pizza, and want it enough to go out and buy one, I go to Little Caesar's and get the $5 Hot-n-Ready pizzas. OMG, so good. I'm not a huge eater... I'm like 6' 1" 145lbs... but I will put away at least 3/4 of a $5 pizza... and then the rest a while later. I douse it in tabasco and go to town. It's awesome. If I'm paying anything more than $5 for a pizza, it better be damn good. hahaha... how bourgeois of me :)

Hands down by far is Pepe's Pizza on Wooster Street in New Haven, CT. It's basically 'Little Italy' of New Haven. Anything on Wooster street is tasty.

If other CT'ers are in Groton try out Ciro's on Long Hill Road....Good stuff!!!

How could it possibly be better than Chick's Pit Garbage Truck Special?

Next time I head down to the Subase, I'll have to check those out. Although when I'm in Groton, I go for Chester's BBQ.

Whew!

I looked this whole thread over in the hopes of finding at least one other vote for Grimaldi's. For me, they are #1. It's been too long since I've had a slice.

If you are in or around Brooklyn try them out: http://www.grimaldis.com/

Being a New Yorker living in Chicago has not been easy...I have constant battles with my Chicagoan Inlaws. I do not like deep dish(nor do they), but even the thin crust to me is...meh. Its funny that its cut in squares(at most places) like your in 3rd grade. I will say that PIECE Chicago is excellent(however the owners are from New Haven)
I have also been to Pepe's in New Haven and think its top notch pizza
But my favorites in NY
Grimaldi's
lombardi's
Spumoni Garden(L&B's) in Brooklyn
Difaros Brooklyn
Johns

My favorite pizza places in San Jose are:
A Slice of New York (Marguerita, and Sicilian are my favorites...oh, and their house calzone)
DiMaggio's (where the Stromboli was invented)
Piz'za Chicago (I get the Untouchables which is a BBQ chicken deep dish)
BJ's (I know its a chain, but boy are they good--and they have craft beer!)

Pizza, just like BBQ, is very much discussed and argued, especially from individuals that are from the region they originate from. That said, I really don't care for many of the California-style pizza offerings.

Nah, if you're going to do Brooklyn, DiFara's is a must. Google them to read some of their great reviews. They opened when I was a teen and apparently the same brothers still run the place. But John's and Lombardi's are also good. Another superb, and the oldest continuously running pizzeria in NYC is Totonno's in Coney Island (although they have opened a branch in Manhattan in the east 80s). Make a day of it! Check out Coney, the aquarium, stroll on the boardwalk to little Odessa and then back to Totonno's for dinner. You know, I may actually do this myself.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Being in Day-Twah has some advantages, pizza wise. Aside from the obvious chains born here (Dominos & Little Caesars), seems we are situated centrally enough to have some great pies from all the corners. Tomatoes Apizza for example, where the owner trained in New Haven, makes great thin NY style pizza. We have the thicker Chicago style chains like Uno's, and Detroit style which is semi thick & square - Buddy's Pizza.

Then there's the Green Egg pizza from the backyard ..

I could live on pizza, except for my arteries ..

Down here in Bryan/College Station TX it is Mr. G's piazza in downtown Bryan. Owned by an Italian gentleman who also owns a great Italian restaurant in College Station. It's brick oven fired and has the best crust I've ever had- not thick, not really thin, just perfect. And with the correct amount of toppings......well it's perfect.

If, for whatever reason, you find yourself in Erie, PA, I recommend Stevo's Pizza. It really is authentic New York-style pizza transplanted to the Great Lakes.

Wick's in Louisville, KY. It's hands-down the best pizza I've ever eaten. It's a thick crust with amazing sauce and only the best toppings, and comes in absolutely massive sizes to feed a huge group. It's not greasy either, as a lot of places are.

Wick's is amazing, definitely one of the things I miss most about Louisville.
Blue Highway in Gainesville, Fl is also a favorite.

Wagon Wheel Pizza, Main Street, Monticello, Utah!

Susie has been hand tossing her dough for almost 30 years! She has employed over half of the kids in town at one time or another (both of my boys, and my wife included). Pretty darned good pie, one of the best I've ever tasted - and believe me, I have tasted a BUNCH!

~Frank

Top Bottom