What's new

Best Pizza?

Very happy to see a lot of praise for the New Haven 3. (Pepe's being my favorite. With a bottle of Foxon Park Birch Beer) Growing up only about 15min away, I often make the argument to everyone that they will not find a better pizza.

And that says a lot from someone dating a girl who originates from Chicago and living in NYC!

Imo's in St. Louis along with a Schlafly's beer, also a proud STL product. Best pizza and best beer in the world. To be clear, I have never rejected pizza or beer, so we are talking degrees of good here.

Being a New Yorker living in Chicago has not been easy...I have constant battles with my Chicagoan Inlaws. I do not like deep dish(nor do they), but even the thin crust to me is...meh. Its funny that its cut in squares(at most places) like your in 3rd grade. I will say that PIECE Chicago is excellent(however the owners are from New Haven)
I have also been to Pepe's in New Haven and think its top notch pizza
But my favorites in NY
Grimaldi's
lombardi's
Spumoni Garden(L&B's) in Brooklyn
Difaros Brooklyn
Johns

I live in the Milwaukee area. We know how to do beer [] better than anyone, but we are lacking in the pizza department.

Hmm . . . well, beer is made in Milwaukee, I'll give you that!

On a serious note, I find a local pizza parlor - Dino's Bocce Club, est. 1946 - to be my go-to because, well, its local. Its also really, really good. Other than that, the second best pizza I've had was in Lauderdale-By-The-Sea (go figure; good pizza in Florida!); can't remember the name, but it was DELICIOUS brick oven pizza. In the Sea Ranch Village Shopping Center.

Two great pizza joints in St. Louis: Guido's Pizzeria and Tapas (on the Hill) and Serra's Pizzeria (west edge of the city - Maryland Heights). Guido's is surrounded by a lot of restaurants about which people have raved. Serra's is a hole in the wall and hard to find. But you can google them; both highly recommended. I'm a pizza snob. Oh hell, here's the links:

http://www.guidosstl.com/

http://serraspizzeria.com/

I posted this question in another board and got some interesting feedback. In my ongoing quest to find the best pizza when I travel, I would like your feedback on what local joints offer the best pizza in your town.

I live in the Milwaukee area. We know how to do beer, bratwurst and cheese better than anyone, but we are lacking in the pizza department.

Lou Malnati's in the Chicago area (Buffalo Grove to be exact) is my top choice.

If you ever get to Mempis Tn. BBQ Pizza at Colettas. One of a kind.

Lou's is my fave for deep dish locally. For something definitely different & a bit quirky, go to Lincoln Park & get the pizza crock at CPOG [Chicago Pizza Oven & Grinder]. In the vacinity of Goethe & Clark (just north of Park West).

I've had pizza in Italy - quality varied from place to place, but definitely different from what we have here in the US (whether it be deep dish or thin). I wouldn't call it horrible, but certainly not the best I ever had.

I've been a bit critical of NY style. Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to start some flame war here - some of it is pretty good, but the reason it has that taste is the water. There's some unique mineral content in there that gives a unique (good) taste to the dough. Nothing wrong w/ that, but it isn't anything about the style (process, hardware, whatever) that makes it good. At least deep dish is something that is put together in a more unique way that makes it what it is. NY is just a member of the 'lucky water' club.

In order of pretentiousness, from the Raleigh-Durham area:

1. Lilly's Pizza - Local/Organic/Hipster. I rarely leave without shaking my head, but the pie is awesome. Dante's Inferno is highly recommended. They just opened a store closer to me (which makes their second).

2. Amante's Pizza - Really not pretentious at all, but they do get a little more "experimental". It's a smallish chain with a handful of restaurants. The Ameatza is a treat if you dig meaty pizza.

3. Randy's Pizza - A slightly bigger chain, big/thin slices you have to fold at least once to eat, and I have it on good authority a New Yorker would not be insulted by it. Because I know a guy from New York, and this is one of the very few places he's not insulted by the pizza. I tend to get a slice with pepperoni. Far from inspired, I know, but it just seems right.

In order of pretentiousness, from the Raleigh-Durham area:

1. Lilly's Pizza - Local/Organic/Hipster. I rarely leave without shaking my head, but the pie is awesome. Dante's Inferno is highly recommended. They just opened a store closer to me (which makes their second).

2. Amante's Pizza - Really not pretentious at all, but they do get a little more "experimental". It's a smallish chain with a handful of restaurants. The Ameatza is a treat if you dig meaty pizza.

3. Randy's Pizza - A slightly bigger chain, big/thin slices you have to fold at least once to eat, and I have it on good authority a New Yorker would not be insulted by it. Because I know a guy from New York, and this is one of the very few places he's not insulted by the pizza. I tend to get a slice with pepperoni. Far from inspired, I know, but it just seems right.

Thanks Josh. I'm heading to the R/D area for Christmas. I'll give one of these places a try.

I'm from Washington (State, for those of you wondering), and wherever I can find it, Pizza Pipeline is the king of pizza. Extra sauce, extra cheese and extra pepperoni, the sauce has a spicy note to it that it refreshing. I struggle to consume anything else without shedding tears that it's not pizza pipeline.

Top Bottom