What's new

Best cheap meal you ever had?

Had a Carolina BBQ from a stand in Duck, NC that was absolutely fantastic. A lobster on the side of the road from a shack in Maine used to be cheap and unbelievably delicious. The Chicago dog from the stand in Millennium Park; off the charts fantastic. A cheesesteak from Jim’s Steaks in Philly was to die for. A muffuletta from Progress Grocery eaten on a bench in Jackson Square, OMG !!! There were the ham ‘n cheese sandwiches we made on a picnic in Bermuda when we discovered Colman’s mustard and blew the tops of our heads off. That sandwich in a baguette I bought in the street near the Paris Opera, and so many more.

Last edited:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
On our lunch break, ushering at the local movie theatre, we would make our way down to Woolco. They had a sandwich deli station and made the best ham on a Kaiser sandwiches for a few bucks. Everyone took care of everyone, walk past the lineup and watch a free movie…get extra ham and fixings on your sanny. That’s how it worked at the mall.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Like @Quaznoid says, there's a lot of them and it's hard to choose. :)

But I have to give the nod to Aiberto's on Market Street in Salem, Oregon. After driving 12 hours to get down there I will always stop for an "Oregon Burrito." What's an Oregon Burrito? Three dishes in one! Carne Asada is a dish. French fries is a dish. A burrito loaded with salsa fresca and two cheeses is a dish. And then "Carne Asada Fries" is a dish on its own, too.

So gather all that goodness into one monster burrito and there's your Oregon Burrito. With any reasonable amount of luck, I'll be eating a few of them in a couple of weeks.

O.H.

Gallucci’s on Euclid in Cleveland is still open. They had a great lunch special, pasta with meatballs, salad and garlic bread. All for 5.00, there was enough to put in the refrigerator and have the next day. I got to know the owner and he was one of the most generous people I have ever met.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Breakfast: I had a paper route in Glasgow, Montana. I road my bike a few miles to downtown Glasgow... a town of 5,000 people.. small, there are lots of towns in Montana with a population in the 5k range. Every morning, a local bakery had extremely large cinnamon rolls topped with a white frosting... Add butter and you had the most amazing cinnamon roll you've ever tasted... all for $1.... no tax. This cinnamon roll, to compare with those available today.. about twice and then some of the size of a Cinnabon roll.

Mom's Diner. Franklin, Ohio.

For $9 you get two eggs, hash browns, bacon, and a half order of biscuits and gravy. But not that crapola generic white restaurant gravy. Brown gravy, made with bacon grease. Sadly, many of you have no idea what I mean by that.

Legion

Staff member
There was a bar in University that had an all you could eat salad bar that was pretty great value. They had a nice beer garden to eat it in as well. A few pints and a massive lunch, and nothing much got done in the afternoon.

Growing up before most fast foods where chain type.

In Burbank, California it would be THE DIP.

Under 50 Cents for Pastrami Sandwich, was to die for.

Of course place closed.

Isn't there a famous downtown LA place that has a Dip sandwich? Much more expensive than $0.50 though.

I live internationally most of the time. Great food can still be had here for cheap!

I do miss $3.59 sacks of 10 Krystals. That was quite awhile ago!

As a teen spent many summers in Queens NYC, the famous Rockawsy Boardwalk had man food vending places, with cheap eats.

Pizza by the slices, Kanishes, Italian Ices, and too many other yummy treats to name.
Isn't there a famous downtown LA place that has a Dip sandwich? Much more expensive than $0.50 though.

I live internationally most of the time. Great food can still be had here for cheap!

I do miss $3.59 sacks of 10 Krystals. That was quite awhile ago!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Like @Quaznoid says, there's a lot of them and it's hard to choose. :)

But I have to give the nod to Aiberto's on Market Street in Salem, Oregon. After driving 12 hours to get down there I will always stop for an "Oregon Burrito." What's an Oregon Burrito? Three dishes in one! Carne Asada is a dish. French fries is a dish. A burrito loaded with salsa fresca and two cheeses is a dish. And then "Carne Asada Fries" is a dish on its own, too.

So gather all that goodness into one monster burrito and there's your Oregon Burrito. With any reasonable amount of luck, I'll be eating a few of them in a couple of weeks.

O.H.
I went to school in Salem in the early 1970s. Other than the Court Street Dairy Lunch and Los Baez, finding good but affordable food was a bit of a challenge. There was a good breakfast place in the Opera House, mainly omelettes. The Ram Pub was grill your own burgers.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I went to school in Salem in the early 1970s. Other than the Court Street Dairy Lunch and Los Baez, finding good but affordable food was a bit of a challenge. There was a good breakfast place in the Opera House, mainly omelettes. The Ram Pub was grill your own burgers.

Well, Los Baez and the Ram are still in business at least as of last year when I was in town. The Ram's a microbrewery now and they cook the food for you. :)

O.H.

Prior to retirement 15 years ago, I inspected garbage and recycling facilities. Many were located in bad areas, but I often ate at roach coaches near the facilities. Most were very good and inexpensive, but my favorite was a Portuguese roach coach located under the Goethals Bridge in Elizabeth, NJ. I don't miss the job, but I do miss that Portuguese food.

Legion

Staff member
The Melbourne CBD has a rats warren of little back alleys, and they are full of hidden hole in the wall bars and restaurants. If you know where to look there are still bargain Asian lunches in there. Pho, ramen, banh mi, laksa. When I worked there I loved exploring every day to find my new favorite lunch spot.

IMG_0785.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
One of the local restaurants "Smitty's" serves a excellent Rubin sandwich with fries and coffee for around $18 Canadian post covid through the bar side of this restaurant. That is a reasonable price compared to other restaurants locally living up in Northern Alberta Canada.
It has gotten tough for local restaurants paying wages and higher food costs IMO!
All costs have gone up over the last 3 years up north (Covid era), we do get a tax break because we live in a northern allowance district so the meal might even look better than what I have mentioned if factored in.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Well, Los Baez and the Ram are still in business at least as of last year when I was in town. The Ram's a microbrewery now and they cook the food for you. :)

O.H.
Yeah. We have been back. We go to Otter Crest pretty regularly. Los Baez seemed so good when it was new, but the Mexican food in Austin has spoiled me. Is the Court Street Dairy Lunch still there?

linty1

My wallet cries.
@Ron R I remember Smitty's from my youth! I'm not sure they exist anymore though, at least in my area.

I remember Ponderosa's in the US to be a good deal back in the day, you could order a entree that came with access to their buffet, so when your entree came, you packed it up to go having already eaten from the buffet.

For a more recent one, pre covid, there was this local place that made Banh-mi's, ie Vietnamese subs packed with yiur choice of coldcuts, pate, veg etc about the size of your forearm for $2. Post-covid prices have since risen to about $5, but its still a good deal.

Somebody mentioned white/brown gravy, its the opposite here, I've seen "white gravy" on tv? But wouldn't even know where to get it here, I've only ever had brown gravy.

A hot Salt Beef Sandwich, delicious with a dash of Colman’s English Mustard, from Carroll’s on London’s Great Windmill Street.
Unfortunately they’re long gone now.

Top Bottom