What's new

Best Bar Soap

Personally I love Ivory soap and recently I have been using an old forgotten brand called Classic Camay International and I am glad it is still 4.5 oz size and regrettably Ivory has gone like the rest to 4oz shrinking size. I`ve tried a lot of soaps from fancy smancy obscure name ones to super expensive ones and thankfully I am very content just to use a 30-40 cents drug store soap to do my cleaning with.

I've been using up a bunch of artisan soaps the last year, they're nice but I find the scent tends to fade if you store them for a little bit. Mikes Lavender was pretty nice. Lately I discovered Palmolive Classic Scent ($1.59/3 bars at local 99c store!!) and Pre de Provence which I think are my two favorites. The Palmolive feels as moisturizing as the much pricier PdP, has a light scent-not unlike the beloved Palmolive shave stick, and is made in USA.
I still want to try the Trader Joes labeled version of PdP, to see if it's the same/as good.

Currently using South of France Lavender. South of France is one of the few soaps that creates a good lather with my well water. The scent doesn't hang around after the shower, but while it's being lathered up it smells great.

I highly recommend trying Origins activated charcoal bar of soap for men, I find it works extremely well, has a fantastic scent and doesn't overdry your skin.

In Miami I buy La Toja (same as the shave stick) hidrotermal soap at Navarro's Pharmacies for less than $3 for 2 bars--excellent, gentle and moisturizing soap.

I like South of France. I get it at Walmart. Inexpensive for a triple milled soap.

I second South of France as well, although my Walmart doesn't carry them and I order the giant 250g/8.8oz bars in a multi-pack, usually equals out to about 3-4 bucks per bar.
I like most of their scents but usually just stick to the extra moisturizing shea butter variety, it's very moisturizing and has a nice inoffensive soapy/clean scent.

Just stopped by World Market and they had South of France Amber Rose bars on sale for $2.98 Might not have been my first choice of scents, but I had to pick one up for that price.

The RR exfoliating soap smells absolutely terrific, and it works. Downside, it only lasted about 5 showers for me. (Mon-Fri)
It seems to disappear very quickly.

I agree the RR soaps disappeared very quickly for me as well. I do like the thermal mud. I keep an eye out for when Joe puts them on sale.

QCS makes amazing soaps which last a very long time.

Chagrin Valley soaps are amazing. I really like the Tea Tree & Neem. Also, I recently purchased a couple bars from QCS and was quite impressed. Both companies are highly recommended!

Apart from the usual store bought brands such as Dial and Irish Spring, my wife and I purchase, and love, the World Market brand bar soaps. Comprised of all-natural plant derived ingredients, and attractively priced at $3.99 for a 250 gram bar (8 ounces), how can you beat it? Most other bath sized bars are only half the size!

And a variety of scents are available: Lavender, Honey, Grapefruit, Verbena, Fresh Cotton and Shea Butter, though the latter is not listed on the website. My faves are Honey and Shea Butter. Performance, lathering and "skin-friendliness" are top notch. And there are even liquid soap versions of the above. Pretty cool, huh?

The other great part is that there are various World Market locations in many cities. And don't even get me started on some of their food items.

Gonna pay a visit to the local World Market and pick-up a bar or two....and see if Shea Butter is still being produced and to get a complete list of ingredients. I'll post back later on my findings.

http://www.worldmarket.com/search.do?query=world+market+soaps

Happy Shaving, everyone!

-Ross

:001_cool:

In Miami I buy La Toja (same as the shave stick) hidrotermal soap at Navarro's Pharmacies for less than $3 for 2 bars--excellent, gentle and moisturizing soap.
This is my current soap. I also like Heno de Pravia and Scottish Fine Soaps Au Lait bath soap.

For the bath and shower - French Shea Butter Soaps (Prè de Provence, L'Occitane en Provence, South of France, Mistral etc. clones), Portuguese Soaps - especially Castelbel.
For facial use - Savon de de Marseille, or English Lavender Soaps from Yardley, Bronnley and Scottish Fine Soaps.

My favorite bar soaps right now are Stirling Soap Co. standard bath soaps. The lather is exceptional, the moisturizing properties are excellent, and at $2 a bar, you simply won't find a better quality:price ratio. The scents are unique and - though subtle - are expansive and well executed. I have only tried the tallow-based soaps, so I can't speak to the vegan bars, though given the quality of everything else Rod makes, I have no doubt they are excellent.

I also give a thumbs up to Max for suggesting SMN bars. They are superb, though the cost is just ridiculous.

Lovin the Stirling bath soap. While the Sheep Soap was my favorite, I just opend a new bar of almond creme. It's like washing with Cella designed for your body. I have to slow the wife down as she would use them exclusively. So I alternate cheaper stuff and its always refreshing to come back to stirling.

I've got an order inbound from SundanceSoapery.com. I will see how that works out. She has plenty of options ans well as shampoo bars and shave soaps.

Again, I say "Walter Rau Original Plant Oil Doctor’s Soap" in both the standard and sensitive versions. No BS, just a good, clean soap that leaves no lasting scent. I find myself buying four or five bars at a time because it's not always in stock when I need soap (and I've got a bit of AD...)

Top Bottom