What's new

Beginners Razors - How many interested?

M

modern man

Folks should realize that $30-40 is a very low price for a useable (read: shave ready) straight. If you don't like it, you'll likely recoup all of your money by "passing it around" to the next guy, who may well adopt it for life.

Shave-readiness is far more important than any "name" brand, or purdy scales. Three of my very best shavers cost less than 40 semolians (one was just $16!)

I can't imagine how many people started out with a rather dull, brand new blade, then nicked the bejessus out of their gorgeous new $70 strop. Long term enjoyment is far more likely to be had by going this route. Even if you fall in love with the process, and accumulate numerous, expensive straights, you'll always have a place in your heart for that first razor you learned with.

that is the sweetest thing ever

ill never give up my first DE its my baby

getting kinda misty in here :crying:

He's right though. You can have a razor by a brand no-one's ever even heard of and it'll shave like anything. And you can have a brand new Theirs-Issard or dovo that hasn't been honed and it'll shave like NOTHING.

Shaveready is the big dealbreaker on your first razor.

W

willist

Hi, I'm a newbie without a straight razor as yet, mainly due to a tight budget. I'd love to be able to by a good shave ready razor for a good price, count me in.

I am very new to DE and wetshaving but it was Dr. Moss' article that got my interest started. I would be very interested in the straight razor package you are looking to put together...thanks!

Can someone tell me more about the custom B&B DE razor I saw mentioned earlier in this thread?

The B&B DE is supposed to match the B&B brush, but since the people organizing it haven't gotten the details of the razor ironed out yet there hasn't been much released about it other than that they are working with manufacturers to get a B&B DE organized. They said they'd actually release information when they have the razor in a more finalized form than they currently do.

I would love to get in on this deal. I have been using a DE for 3 months and my goal from the beginning was to eventually get to a straight.

Hey Joel, just wondering if you were currently working on/had any straights for the intent of this thread?

Yep.... goings been slow though. I purchased a few, only to find some of them are really in bad shape... I'll still try to restore them, but we are talking at least 1-2 hours a pop for some of these. Ideally i'd like to amass a group of them and then offer them all at once so as to get some out there (instead of 1 or 2 a week) and see how many fellas would want a beginner strop - so as to work with Tony and cut down on the cost for you guys on shipping, etc. :smile:

Sweet deal! Thanks for the quick update; between my imagination, and all you guys (and gals!) here on the forums make it pretty hard to not keep spending Christmas money on presents for myself!

I couldn't wait ;)

I purchased a straight. If you had been queuing people my post (#49) can be ignored.

This is still an amazing offer though; thanks for all your hard work!

-Geoff

joel maybe i could help in the "accumulation" aspect, if you handle the prep. i'd need some guidelines on what to look for, however.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Joel,
Keep me posted on the plans so I can have a quantity of Beginner strops available and we can combine shipping for those who need both.

Tony

Ah, gents. I already do this, but not the honing bit as, frankly, people don't want to pay for my time. However - look for me on eBay. If I say a razor is shave-ready, it is. My site is my name, I'll look forward to hearing from you. If you do se a razor you like that needs honing, well - I'm not cheap but I'm reasonable! Site - http://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk :biggrin:

If this is still happening, I would certainly be interested. I love a good challenge and a straight razor seems to be something that would satisfy my need to be constantly learning new things...even if it kills me :001_smile

Top Bottom