What's new

Beginners Razors - How many interested?

I think I would do it, but then again might it be more mindless to just pick up a razor that uses replacement blades a la Feather AC or Shavette?

"and my best shaving razor (hands down) I bought off of ebay for $15 shipped."

Something like this would be 100% a-ok for me and satisfy me forever. I wouldn't need anything else! But again, this comes back to the idea of having to learn to hone and buying a strop...so I have to ask..what would you all think about getting this from Joel to learn, and then upgrading to a 'disposable' SE like shavette or Feather AC?

Joel this is a great idea. If didn't already have a straight I would definately be in. Kudos to you for helping out some new straight shavers, very cool! :thumbup:

Also you might be able to work with Tony and do a little package with the beginners strop as well, just a thought.

so I have to ask..what would you all think about getting this from Joel to learn, and then upgrading to a 'disposable' SE like shavette or Feather AC?

I don't know much about the Shavette's, but from the little I know I've heard they really aren't very good shavers. The Feathers are, but they really are ninja assassin sharp. Rumor has even Scotto had to get rid of his Feather straight. They are much easier in terms of maintainance, but as a wise moderator here told me, there is something magical about a living piece of steel that you continously hone and craft yourself.

Something like this would be 100% a-ok for me and satisfy me forever. I wouldn't need anything else! But again, this comes back to the idea of having to learn to hone and buying a strop...so I have to ask..what would you all think about getting this from Joel to learn, and then upgrading to a 'disposable' SE like shavette or Feather AC?

I would say if you are not interested in at least learning how to strop and eventually wanted to go with a Feather AC then you should probably start out with this instrument. People have said that the pressure used for the Feather is closer to a DE than it is to a traditional straight. It would seem you would have to relearn if you went from a traditional to a Feather. My .02 based on what I have read.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Joel this is a great idea. If didn't already have a straight I would definately be in. Kudos to you for helping out some new straight shavers, very cool! :thumbup:

Also you might be able to work with Tony and do a little package with the beginners strop as well, just a thought.

Tim,
Joel and I are one step ahead of you! We talked about combining shipping so guys who want both Joel's pre-honed razor and one of my $23 beginner strops can get them with a single shipping cost.

Tony

Man, you guys are killing me here! First the B&B custom brush with a custom DE on the way, and now this?? Anyway, I've been curious about straights since before I joined B&B but never wanted to drop the dough for a new one plus honing, plus whatever else and end up spending 150+ on something I end up not liking. Thus, I'd really love the chance to try it out on the cheap. Joel, if you and Tony can work this out, I'm definitely interested! Thanks man.

Count me in. It was an interest in learning straight razor shaving that led me to B&B in the first place.

Andrew

Please email me when this happens, or if there is something already available.
I am in for sure.

I registered so that I could post this
I appreciate someone who is willing to share their skill with the rest of us in order to allow us to enjoy the privilege of a good shave.
Thanks

ncranmer(at)localnet(dot)com

I got started with a Vision about October 1, and it is great, but now I want to try a straight. Joel, your plan sounds like a great way to start, and I am ready when you have one available.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I think that Joel is going to get carpal tunnel syndrome by the time this is over.:frown:

i think this is idea is great. helping to spread the word about wet shaving, allowing people to try out a new type of shaving on the cheap is fantastic idea. yes, the start up costs for straight shaving are the biggest hurdle, after that there is no cost at all, only time for maintenance.

20$ for a razor ships is a ridiculously good deal. even to pick up a blade on ebay its going to run you 10$, you pay 4$ shipping to the ebay person now you are at 14... then you hone/clean the blade then pay to ship it back out to person ordering it 4$...and at best you are already at 20$. i don't know how you are going to make this work for that price but hats off to ya and your dedication! i'd like to help people get into straight shaving as i've been pure straight shaver for almost a year now, but don't know how to do it for 20$. infact you may be taking a hit doing it for this price. perhaps 25$ would give you that extra 5$ to cover your cost, which doesn't say anything for the time it takes to hone, test shave, hone again to ensure shaving sharpness... oh and i forgot the hours of restoration/clean up to remove all the black gunk and rust that all ebay razors come loaded up with for that 10$ price range.

hats off to ya, joel. hell, i'd be willing to help hone/clean some inorder for all these guys to try if we can find a way to buy/ship for that price'ish.

~J

Hey, I'm in. I've gone this far, why not give it a whirl? Especially with this great offer. I'd like to know when you have more info.

I, too, am in. I figure why not try a new way to spend money and perhaps mangle my face. Good times... Thank you so much for putting this together. I am always amazed by the good will and dedication of folks like you on message boards. Thank you.

Jon

Ok - so not all of the razors will be $20 - as some shave ready razors I have been finding have been more than $20, then adding shipping, etc - it'd kill me. I think they'll start at $20 shipped, and hopefully most will be around $30-40.

:smile:

That sounds more sane. Was starting to wonder.

Btw, folks. I imagine Joel is going to be offering these as they become available and he has time to hone. Stating here that you are "in" will not necessarily guarantee a razor anytime real soon, given the volume of interest, I would imagine.

-Mo

M

modern man

Ok - so not all of the razors will be $20 - as some shave ready razors I have been finding have been more than $20, then adding shipping, etc - it'd kill me. I think they'll start at $20 shipped, and hopefully most will be around $30-40.

:smile:

Sweet I'm still down time is not an option i am very patient (i have a 11 month old) take yo time buddy

and i love cheep

it may take a while for me to learn how i just started the DE 6 months ago

before that i was a cartridge shaver (bows head in shame)

Joel, first off, thanks for the offer and of course count me in. I am new to the forum and straight razors. I appreciate the offer and will check back regularly for the razors you are selling...Thanks, G2

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Folks should realize that $30-40 is a very low price for a useable (read: shave ready) straight. If you don't like it, you'll likely recoup all of your money by "passing it around" to the next guy, who may well adopt it for life.

Shave-readiness is far more important than any "name" brand, or purdy scales. Three of my very best shavers cost less than 40 semolians (one was just $16!)

I can't imagine how many people started out with a rather dull, brand new blade, then nicked the bejessus out of their gorgeous new $70 strop. Long term enjoyment is far more likely to be had by going this route. Even if you fall in love with the process, and accumulate numerous, expensive straights, you'll always have a place in your heart for that first razor you learned with.

Top Bottom