What's new

Beginner Recommendation

Hey guys, I'm stepping up to take the plunge into straight razors and was hoping for your ideas.

I fell in love with the look of the DOVO Bismarck http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522940/2889128.htm. Though I need to find someone to hone it for me the first time. Has anyone ordered this one from classicshaving.com before and know if it comes with a travel case? The other one I was looking at which looks nice enough and has a travel case was Tony Miller's http://shop.thewellshavedgentleman.com/displayProductDocument.hg?productId=61&categoryId=6. Either way both are out of stock so I have plenty of time to mull it over.

I figured I could get the Bismarck with the looks I like and have plenty of time to pick up a cheapy at the flea market to practice honing before I try it on the Bismarck since I'm worried about screwy up a nice blade.

I was going to pick up the one of Tony miller's starter kits, just not sure whether to get the hanging strop or the paddle strop with the pastes. I know the hanging strop is easier to use but then I don't get the pastes to postpone having to hone it unless I buy both... Any recommendations for a beginner?

Thanks for any advice guys, it's exciting thinking about switching over, only ever used safety razors before.

Hey guys, I'm stepping up to take the plunge into straight razors and was hoping for your ideas.

I fell in love with the look of the DOVO Bismarck http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522940/2889128.htm. Though I need to find someone to hone it for me the first time. Has anyone ordered this one from classicshaving.com before and know if it comes with a travel case? The other one I was looking at which looks nice enough and has a travel case was Tony Miller's http://shop.thewellshavedgentleman.com/displayProductDocument.hg?productId=61&categoryId=6. Either way both are out of stock so I have plenty of time to mull it over.

I figured I could get the Bismarck with the looks I like and have plenty of time to pick up a cheapy at the flea market to practice honing before I try it on the Bismarck since I'm worried about screwy up a nice blade.

I was going to pick up the one of Tony miller's starter kits, just not sure whether to get the hanging strop or the paddle strop with the pastes. I know the hanging strop is easier to use but then I don't get the pastes to postpone having to hone it unless I buy both... Any recommendations for a beginner?

Thanks for any advice guys, it's exciting thinking about switching over, only ever used safety razors before.

I'd suggest getting a Dovo Special (tortoise handle) in 5/8. Send it my way, and i'll hone it up for you gratis. I dunno why, but those Dovo Bismarcks have never done much for me... I've owned three, and I sold all of 'em.

Koke, once you get a straight you will be addicted. :biggrin:

I would suggest two things to start.

1. Get a good restored vintage straight that's shave ready. Coz they are generally cheaper and the shave is a known. If you ever want to sell it you will more than likely get your money back. There are some good sources for these.

2. Tony Miller's stuff is great. Either way is OK but a strop only aligns the edge so you need something to keep it sharp (not get it sharp). I would recommend a paddle strop with leather for stropping before each shave and other sides pasted to keep it sharp.

Later you can get more straights, a hanging strop, Nortons 4000/8000 water stone and a myriad of other sharpening devices. Plus of course more straights.

Just my 2c worth

Gary

You already heard from two guys with mucho experience! The only thing I will add is to ask any questions that you have. Getting started with a straight razor is not the easiest path, but it is rewarding and enjoyable!

Get with Tony and pick up both a hanging strop and a pasted strop. If he has any bargains sitting around, he will tell you.

Randy

Welcome to straight shaving! Keep us informed about your progress and keep asking questions.
I just got started about 4 mo ago myself and have made very good progress thanks to members of this group and the Straight Razor Place (SRP). Many of these folks have huge collections; you may find that someone is willing to loan you a starter razor. Regardless of what you start with, make sure that you get one of the honemeisters to put an edge on it. You will then have a reference for what a good edge is.

Good shaving,
Steve

One nice thing about ordering from Classicshaving is that you can get it honed prior to shipping for about $20, I think.

I've recently tossed around the idea of getting a straight, but SWMBO (who has a knife-phobia) refuses to let me. Since she has been understanding (for the most part) with my DE habit, I suppose I will honor her request.

Have your new razor pro honed an use that one. Joel made a nice offer. Experiment on one that you can buy off Ebay that has some life left. Most of these guys know what to look for, read the many posts on the subject.

Unless you are like me, and go to the Marqis de Sade school of Straight Shaveing, you might not stick with it.

I recently found one of the first Dovos I bought new. I hadn't touched it in years. I realized why it was like shaveing with a mower blade. I had no clue at the time. It takes a while to sift through the great info here to put together your style.

At you service anytime.

Thanks for the great advice guys, you've given me a lot to think about. Going to look into restored blades today and see what I can find. I liked the Bismarck because even if I failed miserably at shaving I'd still have a nice conversation piece to hang up.

Scott: haven't seen anywhere on classicshaving to get it honed by them, maybe I missed it? Would be handy since they have a the tortoise/Bismarck as well as Lynn's video which I'll have to get from somewhere anyway.

and now that Tony is in-stock that's pushing me to that one since I want to jump right in and its ready to shave out of the box... decisions decisions...

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Both Classic and myself offer these honed. Mine are stocked that way, Classics are done when order if requested. Their honing cost is added on, mine is already added in..........in the end you pay the same and we will both treat you right, no worries.

I owned a few of the Bismarks and they are sweet razors as are the Dovo Tortoise.

There are lots of used razors out there and guys like Joel who will offer to hone for free to help a newbie.

It's a lucky time for straight razor newbies as there are so many resources to get you started right.

Tony

Top Bottom