What's new

Beer blasphemy

So I am not a picky beer drinker but beer in Utah can sometimes be difficult. Not to mention that every beer sold in the state has to be 3.2%. So I will drink some local brews. But usually if at the store I buy:

Bud Light
MGD
Michelob
PBR
Killians
Dos X
Corona

Just never put a Coors Light in front of me.

Do you have more access to cider where you live?
Not at the moment. However, I used to live in Portland, Oregon. The first cider bar in the US, Bushwackers, now has two locations there and I used to live within a 5 min walk of the Rev. Nat's Taproom. I was spoiled and developed specific tastes being around so many options for good cider.

I was out playing for my mens morris dance side yesterday. The people who had booked us laid on some beers for us. A case of local Uley Old Spot bitter, another of Shepherd Neame's Spitfire and a case of Bud.

At the end, the organisers were amazed to find the case of Bud unopened and the other two all gone!

Says it all to me!

Gareth

Spitfire is one of my all time favorites! I had it on beer engine at the Spanish Galleon in Greenwich in 2000, and have been crossing my fingers that someone in Canada can come close to that flavour for the past 16 years.

to answer the OP's question, I don't really reach for American Lagers much. Arguing the taste of Bud, Miller, Coors is pretty much moot in my opinion. The whole point of the style is to have as little flavor as possible anyways. I'm not above drinking some at a cookout etc, but its not something I regularly buy for nightly quaffing.

When I'm buying beer for parties at my house, I'll usually pick up some Yuengling. Everyone likes it, and its cheap enough to buy a few cases when I need to supply a lot of beer.

I drink Yuengling, which is a supermarket beer in Pennsylvania. It's also way better than stuff like Bud or Coors.

I DO love Coors Light in the summer, if I've been working outside all day (which happens a lot).

Spitfire is one of my all time favorites! I had it on beer engine at the Spanish Galleon in Greenwich in 2000, and have been crossing my fingers that someone in Canada can come close to that flavour for the past 16 years.
I enjoyed Spitfire and Bishop's Finger whilst overseas. Really wish they were exported to the US!

Spitfire is what I assume you are calling Supermarket Beer here in the UK. Available everywhere and quite cheap. Not a great beer but next to Bud, like a fine champagne!

Gareth

The only time a "supermarket" beer is found in the bar fridge downstairs is when someone else buys it and then leaves it here at the end of the night.

I'm 43, life's too short to drink crappy beer.

If it's not craft beer, it's homebrew, but that's what you'll find in my bar fridge.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Here in Minnesota our supermarkets only sell 3.2 beer so I won't even bother with it.

For me, the reason I usually choose the "supermarket beers" over the craft beers is price. I'll go into the liquor store with an open mind and it comes down to deciding whether I should get only 12 amber ales or IPAs or 24 of the commoner beers for the same price. The "thriftiness" in me usually wins out.

In my youth that was my approach as well but I now go for quality over quantity.
Craft beers are very expensive but as I don't drink till the sun rises anymore, it does not cost that much for one sitting.

I'm very fortunate, my grocery store has an excellent selection of craft and local beers. And if they don't have it there's a store down the street that has everything, and then some. But if you're looking for a decent beer that can be found in just about every grocery store, Wal-Mart, Target, etc. you can't go wrong with Sam Adams.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
So I am not a picky beer drinker but beer in Utah can sometimes be difficult. Not to mention that every beer sold in the state has to be 3.2%.

So you can have more wives in your house than the percentage of alcohol in your beer? What a state! :tongue_sm

Sam Adams
Yeungling
Dos Equis Amber
Brooklyn Lager
Four Peaks (an Arizona brewery that is excellent. My favorites are Hop Knot and Kiltlifter.)
San Tan Devils Ale (Another AZ brewery)

Four Peaks Hefewizen is among my favorites
San Tan makes GREAT brews as well
--from the supermarket
I grab Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy (ooh damn thats good)
Blue Moon or Shock top
Michelob Light
Coors Light for my Dad

I pretty much stay away from anything Budweiser as it is an automatically guaranteed hangover - and I usually gravitate toward trying any new Hefewiezens the store may have.

So you can have more wives in your house than the percentage of alcohol in your beer? What a state! :tongue_sm

How accurate this is... but the legislature claims polygamy is illegal... but they don't prosecute. But you can expect to get your confiscated and fined if you go to Wyoming and come back with a 12 pack that has 6% beer in it.

Gareth's post reminds me how much I miss British beer (a favourite, when I was a postgrad, was to go to the Great British Beer Festival every year) and I miss a cider, Aspall's, which I always have when I'm visiting my friend in Suffolk each year. I would swear I've seen a bottle or two for sale here in Seattle but I went back and couldn't find it! :p

Angry Orchard is fairly decent but I do love drinking Crabbie's ginger beer (alcoholic) when I can find it here and I miss some of the pear ciders I had in the UK! My favourite is a porter, though, and I'll drink most porters (just one will do me though as they're so delicious and heavy).

Whatever you like is just fine IMO! Personally I don't drink hard lemonade or many 'mass market' beers, but that is me. YMMV for sure!

Brother trust me....

I"ve had everything from Pliny the Elder to the Westvleteren XII, craft beers from all over to regional beer to.....you get the picture.

I drink what I LIKE.

Schlitz is my all day almost everyday beer................period. Here in Oklahoma(I'm 53yrs.old)when I walk out of the liquor store with a 12 pack I get two responses from older guys.

They still make that stuff??

I drank that in Viet Nam.

I drink what I like and I like what I drink.

proxy.php

proxy.php

As a British Expat living in Mallorca, Spain, I missed proper beer
Before I moved over here 10 years ago, I made a point of going to the "Running Horse" - a good old fashioned "working man's" pub in Leatherhead, Surrey, originally 2 pubs next door to each other, but now 1 big pub, but it retains some of the "Olde Worlde" quaintness by only having indoor access between the Lounge "Toff's" Bar and the Public "Scruff's" Bar for staff behind the counter -
Customers have to go out of one door, walk 20 feet outside and in the other door to go between bars.
It was the last pub in town where you could sit up at the bar and smoke, just before the full smoking ban came into force.
They also had 6 traditional hand drawn real ales on hand-pump, and were CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) approved - I commented to the barmaid after I'd sampled a pint of each ale that if I wanted a beer to remember England by, I couldn't have chosen better if I tried !!
I knew then that decent beer would be one of the things I'd sorely miss !!

For 10 years I got used to drinking bottles of San Miguel, Mahou or Beck's or "Metric (500ml) Pints" of draught Amstel, Cruzcampo, Estrella, Mahou or San Miguel or the occasional Guinness or John Smiths Smooth.
At home I made do with cans of San Miguel, Amstel or Heineken, and got used to the supermarket's own brands "Aurum" from Eroski and "Steinberg" from Mercadona.
Prescribed painkillers forced me to go on the wagon for 18 months, and for an alcohol free beer, I found that "Steinberg Sin Alcohol" actually tastes better than Cruzcampo or Amstel !!
Recently I started treating myself to full strength beer at evenings weekends and reserved the "Steinberg Sin" for daytimes and "dry" days.
Steinberg "Classic" is a passable cheap beer, Steinberg "Purity Law" is a stronger and better version and Steinberg "Dark" is a dark beer made from toasted malt, and is similar to bottled Guinness.
Stark is also a very acceptable Spanish beer.

On Wednesday nights when I go to a Hotel in Palmanova to see a good friend of mine who has a weekly gig there and his girlfriend who runs the Hotel bar, I treat myself to a few draught Cruzcampos

After 10 years of adjusting my palate to Spanish beers, purely by chance I noticed that Eroski Supermarket has started stocking an old favourite of mine............
Old Speckled Hen

My new weekend treat from now on - Happy Days !!

I still enjoy Miller High Life and PBR from time to time. They were my go to beers back in my younger days I still enjoy them from time to time.
For all the scoffing that craft beer snobs do at macro beer, what many of them fail to realize is just how difficult it is for these big breweries to brew millions of barrels of beer that taste exactly the same and with such a light flavor, its much more difficult to mask inconsistencies.

Yuengling is a supermarket beer in the four states I am most familiar with (VA, MI, NC, and AL). It's not a bad "lawnmower" beer.

Top Bottom