What's new

Beans on toast

I make my own slow cooked baked beans and I just can’t go back to the canned stuff. It will work in a pinch, but I can really control the flavour profile when I make them from scratch. I agree though, canned or not, on toast is a fine breakfast meal.
If you have a pressure cooker, try beans in the them without soaking. Soaking removes alot of the "magic" of beans. And pressure cooking them increases the temperature, which seems to do a better job of cooking them and destroying the toxic lectin.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
A can of Hormel chili with a small bag of Fritos crunched up and thrown in...oh yeah! Beans and toast...another classic. And staying on the beans, you could cut up a hot dog or two and throw em in the pot...squirt some mustard in. Now...none of this will make the Cooking Channel, but the Cooking Channel is overrated.

And for all of these, I recommend Pinot Noir. Nah...Jack Daniels Lynchburg Lemonade.
Just open the top of the Frito bag and pour in the chili. Voila, Frito pie! For those who find canned baked beans too sweet, I put all manner of beans on toasted or buttered bread, including Navy, pinto, kidney, and black. They are all good. I am especially partial to Navy with a few shakes of a not too hot hot sauce like Cholula. (I am fine with Ghost pepper, but my wife won't eat it.)

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Beans with toast sounds pretty good. Do you smother the toast and eat it with a fork or put just enough beans on the toast that you can pick it up and eat it?
Eaten with a fork, like this with grated cheddar is good:

1693410183340.png

Or add a poached egg for extra wow factor:

1693410320078.png

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Beans on toast seems ok, but not even in the same realm of deliciousness as weenie beanies. 🤪

View attachment 1710250

Chef Boyardee Beefaroni on toast? Then we talkin’. Best hangover food ever. 👍👍

I came into the restaurant one afternoon and stopped to check on one of my cooks when I walked into the kitchen before service.

"Whatcha making Ruben?"

"Soup for tonight chef."

"What kind of soup?"

"Hot dog soup chef."

Needless to say that became staff meal for the evening and I got Ruben headed in a different direction with the evenings soup.

If you're wondering why we had hot dogs on hand in the first place, believe it or not staff get sick of munching on foie gras, oysters, rack of lamb etc. and will mutiny if some comfort options are not available. It's also better on the food cost.

Last edited:
Top Bottom