What's new

Beans on toast

Every once in a while I get a craving for the old British beans on toast. There’s two stores that stock Heinz beans locally. The price here in Northern California is crazy.
6F80624F-06FB-41D2-977F-4597C079599A.jpeg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I love beans on toast and have it often. Three slices of lightly toasted and buttered bread, tin of beans on top, grated mature cheddar cheese on top of the beans, and a good sprinkle of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce to finish. Fantastic! Only thing is I am not keen on Heinz baked beans, I find the sauce too sweet and the beans too large. I prefer a supermarket own brand beans, preferably the 'sugar free' version.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Every once in a while I get a craving for the old British beans on toast. There’s two stores that stock Heinz beans locally. The price here in Northern California is crazy.View attachment 1709515

Are those beans $5.49 for a single 390g tin? If so then that is astonishing. Heinz beans at my local UK supermarket are £1.39 for a single 410g tin, or £5 for four tins. This is despite recent large increases in food prices. Arguably food here is too cheap, in the 1970s the average UK household spent 30% to 40% of income on food. In recent years it has been as low as 5% but has probably increased a little recently. Of course some other things, most notably houses, are much more expensive now than they have ever been but that is another conversation.

I make my own slow cooked baked beans and I just can’t go back to the canned stuff. It will work in a pinch, but I can really control the flavour profile when I make them from scratch. I agree though, canned or not, on toast is a fine breakfast meal.
I also like to make a crockpot of pinto beans. I like a smoked ham hock in them . Or I’ll make them more plain and make half into refried beans. Cans are just convenient. I ended up getting a couple cans of ranch style beans. I like the flavor and it’s an easy meal.
AB741F3E-96F5-4B86-958E-74D8EFF79801.jpeg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I also like to make a crockpot of pinto beans. I like a smoked ham hock in them . Or I’ll make them more plain and make half into refried beans. Cans are just convenient. I ended up getting a couple cans of ranch style beans. I like the flavor and it’s an easy meal.View attachment 1709680
Grew up eating these in Texas, although never on toast. Ground beef with a can of Ranch Style Beans on a tortilla with salsa makes a pretty good “poor man’s” meal. There was only one store I could find them in when I was living in Michigan. They’re a little more common here in Indy, but not like they were in Texas. I also like the variety that had Jalapeños in them.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I also like to make a crockpot of pinto beans. I like a smoked ham hock in them . Or I’ll make them more plain and make half into refried beans. Cans are just convenient. I ended up getting a couple cans of ranch style beans. I like the flavor and it’s an easy meal.View attachment 1709680
Try spiking your pinto beans with a bit of Knorr caldo de tomate con sabor de pollo. That and the pork product and pepper of your choice (I like serranos)...mmmmm.

Are those beans $5.49 for a single 390g tin? If so then that is astonishing. Heinz beans at my local UK supermarket are £1.39 for a single 410g tin, or £5 for four tins. This is despite recent large increases in food prices. Arguably food here is too cheap, in the 1970s the average UK household spent 30% to 40% of income on food. In recent years it has been as low as 5% but has probably increased a little recently. Of course some other things, most notably houses, are much more expensive now than they have ever been but that is another conversation.
Yes, those beans from Heinz are the UK ones. That’s why they are so expensive in the US. I have to go a local gourmet imports grocery store to get those. I do like them better than the US Heinz variety, but because of the high price I get them only as a rare treat.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
A can of Hormel chili with a small bag of Fritos crunched up and thrown in...oh yeah! Beans and toast...another classic. And staying on the beans, you could cut up a hot dog or two and throw em in the pot...squirt some mustard in. Now...none of this will make the Cooking Channel, but the Cooking Channel is overrated.

And for all of these, I recommend Pinot Noir. Nah...Jack Daniels Lynchburg Lemonade.

Top Bottom