What's new

BBS Urban myth?

I get BBS on the weekends, when I slow way down,do the full Kyle prep, and really concentrate. During the week, I don't worry about it much.

Aristotle said it first: "We are what we repetedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."

If BBS is an urban myth, then we are all wasting our time and money.

I, along with many of my B&B buddies, have adjusted my lifestyle to make BBS a habit. It comes, like anything, with practice.

As a musician for many years, why would I want to subject someone to listening to something that wasn't pleasing to the ear? There's always something to improve on in musical skills, like carrying phrases longer with the breath, altering the tone quality to fit the music, playing rhythms either more correctly (or "looser" depending on style/idiom, etc.) and the list goes on an on.

BBS is simply an indicator of a good shave.

Why would you take the time, on a hot summer day, to go out with your lawnmower and only cut 92% of your lawn? "Honey-- I thought I'd leave that little patch near the garage because NOBODY ever cuts all of their lawn."

Why would you take the time to assemble good ingredients to bake a cake, and then leave out the baking powder? "Oh, it was only 1/2 tsp...how much could that matter?"

I consciously took the time off on Saturday to do a simple 1 pass shave and to not go BBS. I just felt rebellious. About an hour later, my shirt was off, and I was back into the bathroom for the rest of the shave-- it just didn't feel right!

Timmy Boston posted earlier, that if he takes the time, it's possible every day.

That is succinct and it's absolutely true.

I've also found that in the course of the day, when the subject of shaving comes up, or I bring up B&B, the obvious question is "WHY?" I can list a lot of benefits of wet shaving/DE shaving...but the only tangible, observable one is how my face FEELS compared to co-workers, friends etc. There are always the excuses: "I didn't take time to shave today?" (Really-- you mean 3 minutes with a Mach 3 in the shower didn't do it?) "Your beard isn't as heavy as mine." (So I often skip a day and prove it otherwise.) "It takes too long." (Not for me...it's the best 30-40 minutes of my day!) Etc...we've all heard it.

But the argument is gone if we're a pile of stubble.

And, personally-- I don't really care if we convert anyone-- but I do care how we represent ourselves.

Finally-- it's like standing on a stage to perform, tanking it up-- I've heard every excuse in the book from students/co-musicians. "Sun got in my eyes, Check's in the mail, I didn't practice enough, I thought I knew the music but I didn't" None of that matters. It's the performance, the final product, that sticks in the audience's mind.

The 2007-8 Chicago Bulls lost many games this year, and I'd guess many were close games. "Oh, if we had taken more time we could have won that one" means very little to a season ticket holder who just sunk some money into them.

On the other hand, I'm sure the Chicago Bulls would outplay the 2008 IL High School basketball team (on a good night)! If I were to suit up and try out for that HS team, I wouldn't make it because I lack the skills, discipline equipment and desire to do it.

But if after 30 years of practice with a DE, after 30 years or more of rejecting the crapload of cartridge systems that have come our way, and the utterly ridiculous basis for most of them, if I couldn't achieve BBS every day with my Fatboy, or an Aristocrat, or even a seventy-five cent flea market Super Speed, then I've wasted my time and should scrape my face half-assed with a good-news and a squirt of barbasol.

PRACTICE!!!! LEARN....LISTEN!

Definitely not a myth. Takes practice. I thought I was there with a Slant/Feather combo, but then switched to straights (just about a year ago). After those first shaves, I couldnt' even fathom BBS was possible. It took a 2-3 months, but now after three passes, it's so smooth, that I can go 36+ hours between shaves. Not that I really want to, I hate missing out on a good shave.

Now I'm working towards an BBS-that-stubbles-up-around-lunchtime two pass shave so I can still be uber-smooth, but can still shave every 24 hours.

What an inspiring post Mr. Gillette. Striving for excellence in all that you do is what it's all about. One should never settle for good enough. I'm not good enough to get a bbs on all areas of my face yet. Still dealing with irritation issues. But I won't give up the quest.

If every shave is in the high 90's (and some n e a r l y p e r f e c t ) what's to complain about?

but ... if anything less than perfect is - n o t g o o d e n o u g h - your world is crap from here to the horizon.

Smile - life is (almost) 99 & 44/100th's % pure like Ivory Snow.

You're exactly where you should be - what could be better?

If you were perfect - now, always and forever, there would be no reason to shift from one *** cheek to the other - let alone get up each day. :confused:

Well, practice is fine, and striving for excellence sounds admirable. However, I can perfectly accept that for some gents, BBS is simply not reasonably achievable. I am one of those. I can get BBS if I want to, but I suffer quite substantially. I still keep trying, but after 25 years, I am pretty convinced that my skin is not made for BBS, at least not without giving my skin two days off.

Pushing people to achieve excellence often is a worthwhile endeavor, but it is dangerous to push people to achieve a goal that cannot be achieved without great sacrifices. Part of the growing-up process is to develop a sense for when enough pushing and striving has been done.

Best - MM

Well, practice is fine, and striving for excellence sounds admirable. However, I can perfectly accept that for some gents, BBS is simply not reasonably achievable. I am one of those. I can get BBS if I want to, but I suffer quite substantially. I still keep trying, but after 25 years, I am pretty convinced that my skin is not made for BBS, at least not without giving my skin two days off.

Pushing people to achieve excellence often is a worthwhile endeavor, but it is dangerous to push people to achieve a goal that cannot be achieved without great sacrifices. Part of the growing-up process is to develop a sense for when enough pushing and striving has been done.

Best - MM

My experience exactly. I can get nearly there, but not quite. If I push it any further with either my straights or my DEs I get painful razor burn that lasts all day. I suppose I could get there using my wife's Epilady (which she used exactly one time), but after hearing her talk about the experience, I'll pass.

Everyone's face is different, and some of our faces are simply harder to get shaved really close. I wonder if our barbers have any thoughts on the subject.

V

VR6ofpain

For me BBS is possible but undesirable. Reasons?

1. Takes too long
2. Doesn't look appreciably better on me
3. Doesn't allow for enough new growth to let me enjoy my next shave
4. Increased risk of nicks and irritation
5. My Dad never did it
I agree with some of this, here are my reasons why I don't go BBS daily:

1. Doesn't look appreciably better
2. Doesn't allow for enough new growth for next shave
3. Increased risk of irritation

That said, I have pulled them off before. Sometimes without irritation, usually with some on the neck. It is really nice to feel no facial hair on my neck, but the chances of irritation are too high.

Best - MM

Good points...I need to always add our catch all: "YMMV"

respectfully...

1. Takes too long
For me, not much. But I enjoy all the time spent on me any way. :smile:

But I feel better.
Wearing clean socks doesn't make me look better either.

Can't argue with this one!

Not that I've noticed.

5. My Dad never did it

My dad never listened to mp3's either. :lol: :lol:

Just my take. :biggrin:

BBS is not an urban (urbane) myth for a lot of guys, me included. It's just a matter of time and technique. For my usual trouble areas, a little blade buffing after three passes is all I need.

So who cares if I'm a bit late for work? I have a BBS shave and I smell nice and for my efforts the office is a better place to work for all. Or something like that.

All depends on what your definition of "BBS" is. How hard do you press to test?

The baby I use for comparison has a slightly scratchy butt if you rub it a certain way. :001_smile

All depends on what your definition of "BBS" is. How hard do you press to test?

The baby I use for comparison has a slightly scratchy butt if you rub it a certain way. :001_smile

Quite right.

Not all control butts are created equal.

This is a peach of a butt.

Soft, smooth and not scratchy at all.

But is this butt baby butt ?

full

Last edited by a moderator:
One other person mentioned swirl growth in one area--I suffer than too just under the angle of my lower jaw on the right. Other I pretty realiably get a BBS with two passes but more in that one area.

1. Takes too long

5. My Dad never did it

I agree particularly with no. 3-4.

Top Bottom