What's new

BBS, DFS, CCS, or SAS?

Probably somewhere between a DFS and a BBS. I can't stand there being stubble still there but there are those beautiful days when all the hair just seems to melt away with ease.

Well, being new to the straight, I'm staying at SAS for the most part. I was close to BBS using some of my DEs, but always at least at DFS. I tried to go ATG with my straight and got a nick. So, it'll hafta stay at WTG for the time being and a SAS or CCS at best.

About a month and a half in for me and I feel I average on CCS most days. Although on a Friday or Saturday night out I strive for a DFS and usually achieve it w/o any irritation.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
DFS is my goal, expect for the bottom 1" of hair growth on my neck. Since it grows in umpteen billion ways (psst, I might be exaggerating a little bit as I haven't counted each hair), I am happy with a CCS or even a SAS in that area.

For most of the part I go for DFS, there's still some tough areas that I got to conquer but it's passable.

Always notice the people looking for BBS all the time are very new to this. Once you get some more experience, and don't have any expectations but an acceptable shave, maybe DFS, then BBS will just happen sometimes.

I disagree to a point.

I went to carts and back and forth with electrics for 20 years searching for an electric that would deliver BBS.
Never found one.
In my mid-30s, I gave up the search and dedicated my face to carts... always keeping up with Gillette's latest offering.
I was also always getting BBS.
Now, I have a light beard. If I shave before work, I can get away with shaving every other day and I'm still SAS the 2nd day. It takes me closer to 36 hours to develop any serious stubble.

When I switched to DE, and a month later to straights, if I was not getting shaves on par with my M3 and Fusion shaves, I would not have invested the thousands that I have in razors, strops, and hones.
Is the straight getting closer than my carts? Impossible to get closer than that. What's the difference? The straight gets as close in most areas, only not getting BBS under the jawline in front of the ears... but for some reason, the shave seems to remain smooth much longer... it will be a few hours longer before I can actually feel stubble popping up.

I do agree that new shavers do tend to become obsessed with the BBS to the point that they will scrape their skin into an irritated mess, and experience is needed to avoid that, but I disagree that the concept of "I want a BBS shave" is limited to those new to wetshaving. Yes... it's something that just happens, and for many of us, it was a daily thing before we moved on from carts.

OTOH, I see people who claim to stop their honing progression at 20 passes on the 8k Norton, and get a "perfect" shave with a single WTG pass... and my thought is "That is someone who used electrics for 30 years and anything is an improvement"

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Straight: 2 pass wtg+atg+touch up= DFS
SE: 2 pass wtg+atg+touch up=DFS
DE: 2 pass wtg+atg+touch up=DFS
Trac II 2 pass wtg+atg+touch up=DFS

I do agree that new shavers do tend to become obsessed with the BBS to the point that they will scrape their skin into an irritated mess, and experience is needed to avoid that, but I disagree that the concept of "I want a BBS shave" is limited to those new to wetshaving. Yes... it's something that just happens, and for many of us, it was a daily thing before we moved on from carts.

That is pretty much what I was referring to. Of course new shavers are not the only ones looking for a BBS, I'm just saying I see if very often with new people starting out, and it makes it much more difficult to learn. Once someone has plenty of experience, it changes things quite a bit.

I have to have SAS for work, but usually I attain DFS+ with little effort. BBS just kind of happens a lot. I guess I'm getting the hang of this. It's unusual for me to strive for BBS anymore, but it does happen on its own.

That is pretty much what I was referring to. Of course new shavers are not the only ones looking for a BBS, I'm just saying I see if very often with new people starting out, and it makes it much more difficult to learn. Once someone has plenty of experience, it changes things quite a bit.

Different people learn in different ways. Some people, as you say, focus on technique before trying for more. But others learn from doing. I'm sure if someone focuses on getting a BBS shave cuts their skin up, they're going to adjust with the experience gained, not continue to keep cutting their face up over and over.

In some cases you might be right, but I've also seen newbies completely give up DE's or straights, or whatever they are new to, from worrying too much about BBS until they do cut themselves up. I think we all can agree we don't want to drive people away by pushing BBS so much that we forget about technique. Once you've got some basic technique, everyone can find out what works for them and go with it.

When I was first learning this new found hobby, my enthusiasm would lead me to go for BBS. That would result at times in redness and irritation. Now I'm happy to get CCS to DFS most of the time. The temptation to go for BBS is still there when I'm in travel mode at the health club after that ultimate prep: a 30-minute soak in the swimming pool during a workout. That plus the slickness of a Wilkinson Sword or Irisch Moos soap stick can get me carried away.

And now as the Monty Python folks would say "For something completely different." Last night I was hoping to get a CCS at best, just to get through today, with a Wilkinson System II (Atra) cartridge on a Gillette Vector handle. Lather was from a can of Old Spice Sensitive through a Conair heated lather cap. After spritzing some of the stuff into my hand, I loaded it on to a Synthetic badger knot from TGN to apply to my face. Definitely a better lather job than just smearing it on with fingers.

The result was a DFS, except for one nick on the chin. That Vector/atra combo feels like it can be tossed around almost any old way, and I got a little carried away at one point.

BBS is what I always strive for; it's the reason I enjoy shaving. I experiment with different creams and blades and yes, it DOES make a difference. If I shave before work and don't get a BBS, eh, so what? Technique and good products are to the point it's a close enough shave. It's not like I'm shaving to meet Eva Herzigova every day.

DFS is my goal, expect for the bottom 1" of hair growth on my neck. Since it grows in umpteen billion ways (psst, I might be exaggerating a little bit as I haven't counted each hair), I am happy with a CCS or even a SAS in that area.

I'm with you on this one. I'm only a few months into this endeavor, but have yet to get a BBS shave anywhere. I can easily get a CCS on my face and often a DFS. My chin line and under the chin I'm shooting for a SAS and often get CCS. On my neck, I'm fine with SAS and I'm not going to push it. If I get a CCS there, then great, but that's also an area where I get irritated easily. At the end of the day, with all of that, it's quite easy to look into the mirror and be happy with the experience and the results.

DFS / CCS for me. I can only get BBS with a couple of ATG passes, and that leaves me feeling like I've been peeled. Two or three WTG passes still gives me a much better shave than I got with carts, and it's comfortable. I can get a DFS+ by going XTG, but it only seems to last a couple of hours so I don't often bother.

I shave my head and neck, and keep a full beard. I can get really close to a BBS, but some spots aren't worth the irritation, like the back of my neck.
The key for me is a very smooth blade. Gillette Blacks and Voskhods are the absolute smoothest that I've tried, and that means no irritation and an extended touch up. Astras, Sharks and Bluebirds are second tier, and also very good.

Top Bottom