What's new

Battlestar Galactica Discussion

I used to think that maybe the final 5 weren't evil, that they would somehow help the humans...but not anymore. After Tory killed Cally, it's pretty clear she is evil, or at least, she's not a savior or anything. I guess she's actually human in that she was only concerned about her own life.

Well, to some degree I think you are right. However, the cylons (and the humans for that matter) have made a huge deal out of Hera Agathon being a human-cylon hybrid. We now know that Nicolas Tyrol is also a hybrid. I suspect to some degree at least, Tory's actions were designed to protect Nicolas and perhaps even ensure that he remains under cylon control/protection.

I know its slightly off topic, and not even for the same scifi series, but I felt the need to mention it. I'm in a genetics class and we were crossing 3 genes through a series of matings and whatnot. My teacher thought it would be funny to cross Mr. Spock with a human and than made up some genes. Out of 150 people in my lecture, only 3 people got the question right, because nobody knew Mr. Spock was half human. I got it wrong.

Let me preface this post with the admission that I have not seen any of the new Battlestar Galactica series. I don't have satellite and cable doesn't run in my neck of the woods, so I'm pretty much at a loss about what's going on with the show, other than what I pick up in stray posts on IO9...

That said, I think I know how they should end the show... The crew should come up on Earth surrounded by an armada of Cylon vessels, and then the words "Game Over" should show up in the middle of the screen... cut to Rimmer, Lister, Kryten, and the Cat removing their VR Headsets... Lister:"Awww Smeggin' 'ell! It was just gettin' to the good part!"

That said, I think I know how they should end the show... The crew should come up on Earth surrounded by an armada of Cylon vessels, and then the words "Game Over" should show up in the middle of the screen... cut to Rimmer, Lister, Kryten, and the Cat removing their VR Headsets... Lister:"Awww Smeggin' 'ell! It was just gettin' to the good part!"

Hehehe

You should give Season I a watch.

Not at all. I'm really beginning to despise the character. He is such a weakling, easily manipulated, trying to be strong.

+1

He is turning out to be a bit of a wuss. It started when he began cheating on his wife with Starbuck and couldn't bring himself to tell her about it. I'm hoping Adama (senior) will kick his *** in the boxing ring again to set him straight.

Not that I let this show shaving forums, or really anything shaving forums consume my shaving forums life. :lol:

I think they're setting up Lee for a bigger role down the road. Remember, Roslin will die, not sure when, but I bet he'll either become VP or end up with the President's spot in time. I do like him as the CAG better though.

I think they're setting up Lee for a bigger role down the road. Remember, Roslin will die, not sure when, but I bet he'll either become VP or end up with the President's spot in time. I do like him as the CAG better though.

Why can't he see that he would better serve humanity (literally!) by piloting a Viper rather than sitting on committees?

Just finished reading this Slate article: http://www.salon.com/ent/tv/feature/2008/04/02/bsg_explainer/index.html

Interesting bit about the final Cylon:

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Moore claims that the final Cylon is not on display in the promotional poster for the fourth season. Since the poster contains almost every major character in the "Galactica" universe, including Starbuck, Adama, Apollo and Roslin, this leaves us with either an as-yet-unknown Cylon character or a supporting character Cylon -- or Moore was leading us on.

Gaeta?

I thought this was interesting too:

What's this all this confusing religious stuff?

The religious themes on the show have become increasingly prominent over the past three seasons. Oddly enough, the creator of the original "Battlestar Galactica," Glen Larson, was a devout Mormon, and both the original and the reimagined series are a thinly veiled retelling of the Book of Mormon.

In the Book of Mormon, the prophet Lehi manages to escape the destruction of Jerusalem and guide a small group of survivors to America. It's also worth nothing that the name Kobol is a slight derivation from Kolob, the dwelling place of God in Mormonism, and the Quorum of Twelve, one of "Battlestar's" governing bodies, shares a name with a governing council of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The reimagined version of the show also incorporates a diversity of religious themes. The Cylons and humans have a different set of rather complicated religious beliefs. Like the Judeo-Christian faiths, their religions overlap at key junctures, and the series is filled with references to human religions ranging from the Norse ("Ragnar") to the Roman ("Athena"), Greek ("Pegasus") and Christian ("Cain").

The Cylons, unlike the humans, are monotheistic and believe in "one true God." Humanity, in their view, has forsaken God and, thus, sinned. So God directed humanity to create the Cylons. In order to please their God, the Cylons then murdered their creators.

The humans are polytheistic (with a number of gods seemingly derived from, or connected to, Greek and Roman mythology). In the universe of the series, the Lords of Kobol existed on the planet Kobol, together with human subjects. When a "jealous God" wanted to be promoted above the others, this led to the dispersal of humans across space and the founding of the Twelve Colonies.

Just finished reading this Slate article: http://www.salon.com/ent/tv/feature/2008/04/02/bsg_explainer/index.html

Interesting bit about the final Cylon:

Gaeta?

I thought this was interesting too:

Yes, Larson is a Mormon, and a lot of references in the series are certainly paralleled in the Mormon church (the Quorum of the Twelve, etc.). However, I would say that this new series diverges greatly from the series that Larson created - certainly more edgy. Also, the story of the exodus is not unique to the Book of Mormon. It happens many times in the Bible. There is the example of the Israelites leaving Egypt, and wandering in the wilderness in search of the Promised Land - we learn that while in Egypt they had taken to idolatry and had forgotten the true faith of their fathers, and were met with enemies and trials on their journey. Then there is also the scattering of the tribes of Israel where 10 of the tribes were carried off and became lost. It could also be a larger parable of mankind being lost, and trying to return to their one true home, with God, all the while being hounded and hunted by those who would seek to keep them from that goal. I don't think that Mormon doctrine specifically is being pushed in either the original or the new series - rather a Mormon used aspects of his religion and injected them into his storytelling. Don't worry, you won't find yourself suddenly craving to visit a Mormon temple after watching this show (which I love, and I can't figure out yet who the final cylon will be, maybe Gaeta, but I'm hoping for somebody with a little more wow-power!).:biggrin:

Yeah, it was 1701 D. The same registry as the Enterprise in TNG.
The original Enterprise also makes a cameo in the Miniseries:
proxy.php

Last night's episode didn't move the story forward much at all. Except for the Baltar bit. Also, can't Lee see that it's not an ideal world and Baltar has to be contained?:mad3:

Last night's episode didn't move the story forward much at all. Except for the Baltar bit. Also, can't Lee see that it's not an ideal world and Baltar has to be contained?:mad3:

I agree that the story didn't get moved forward much. So far I think this whole season has been pretty slow :frown: which really sucks because I was expecting it to keep pace with the heart-stopping season 3 finale.

Not at all. I'm really beginning to despise the character. He is such a weakling, easily manipulated, trying to be strong.

I can't stand him now. In fact, from the very beginning I felt his character to be extremely weak, not only morally but emotionally. The fact that he loves Kara, yet can't commit to being with her save for a few "dips in the sugarpot" so to speak is indicative of it. To compound this, with all the "democracy" he is demanding, I fear that he is going to end up bringing down what semblance of government the Colonials have left. He is about as worse as Baltar.

I had a discussion with my students on this in my government/economics class, and I used Battlestar Galactica as a model on fascism vs. democracy in emergency situations. Several of my students actually came to the consensus that Adama never should have gave Roslin civilian power to begin with, and that he should have declared martial law throughout the fleet right then and there. I tend to agree with them, but I would take it one step further and do what Helena Cain did - get all able bodied men and skilled technicians from civilian ships, draft them into the military, and train them as soldiers (though, I probably wouldn't have gone so far as shooting people in cold blood, or leaving them for dead without supplies).

As to last night's episode being a mixed bag (I just now saw it, after going through the trials of Orthodox Holy Week), I thought that it was a great episode - and a lot happened if you really look into it. We also got a glimpse of Colonial culture and religion, which is something that I have been continually fascinated by as I watch this series.

BTW, seems like Caprica is back on the front burner. If you check out Battlestar Wiki, I've read the news that RDM is beginning the hiring process to hire actors to play Adama's father and the members of the Greystone family (the computer magnates who created the Cylons).

Top Bottom