What's new

Balin's Brushes, Blades and Assorted Baloney!

SOTD:
Lush Kalamazoo face and beard wash
Proraso white preshave
Merrow of Clare Soap/AS
WR3 .35 OC
Gem 3
Chubby 2 Super
1000005739.jpg

Rating 5/5 Comfortable BBS

My first BBS with this razor. It was pure luck, I was rushing and everything just came together. My experience with rushed shaves are completely binary. They are either great or awful, but today was great. The Chubby2 wasn't shaken out that well so loading the soap was really wet. I learned this soap can take, and should take a lot of water. I am really glad this Murphy and McNeil soap does not irritate me, because I think they make a great product. When I get my new job ( see what I did there, positive visualization 🤣 ), I will treat myself to another Murphy and McNeil soap 🙂.

Cheers!

SOTD:
Proraso white preshave
Merrow of Clare Soap/AS
WR3 .35 OC
Gem 4
RV STF
1000005751.jpg

Rating 4/5 Comfortable DFS

Synthetic Sundays!! I haven't used my RV STF in over a year so I thought I would give it a whirl today. It is better than I remembered 😄. There was some lather flinging, but similar to how a badger bulb flings lather. I did get some decent splay and it made a good lather. I treated how I do my badger, soak while showering, and small flick to dump some of the water. Once splayed it a had better face presence for me as it was a little more scrubby but not much. I think I could grow to like this knot, I just have to give it a chance.

The soap and aftershave are great, and approved by the Mrs. I think its the Mermaid on the cover is what sold it to her. My wife is convinced she was a mermaid in a previous life 🤣. Yes my wife and I are a bit odd, but that's why we compliment each other so well 😜.

Cheers!

SOTD:
Proraso white preshave
Merrow of Clare Soap/AS
WR3 .35 OC featuring @lasta Interstellar Peacock Handle
Gem 5
OG Shavemac D01 Silvertip 24/50
1000005763.jpg

I am liking that @Guido75 is doing and Excalibur evaluation of the Rubie, because it gives me time to get to know my WR3 .35. I am getting more proficient with the angle and I think the stiffer blade is making for some really comfortable shaves. It works really well ATG under my chin where the whiskers lie flat against the skin. There is no tugging even after 5 shaves on the blade and really not any touch ups required. I do have to take my time around the jawline to get the angle right but I find the angle easy to find on my neck and throat areas. I don't know why I waited 2 and half years to try a different format!!! I think I may take my injector for a spin now too. @blethenstrom Boris, that comment was for you 😁 .

On the job front, my interview/meeting went well today. I met with the managers of one of my companies vendors today and they put me in touch with the personnel company they use for bubble type work as they already know that the bubble is coming end of August so I may be able to enjoy the summer off with work in the pipeline. Other than the last time I was RA'd ( resource action ) in October 2020 I have not had a continuous month off work. The last RA had me scrambling for a month to find a new gig, but if this all pans out I should be able to relax for the month of July and the beginning of August 😁. I might brush up on some of my cabling standards and building sensor type offerings while on leave. I am still plugging through some Project Management certifications while still employed 🤓.

Cheers!

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
On the job front, my interview/meeting went well today. I met with the managers of one of my companies vendors today and they put me in touch with the personnel company they use for bubble type work as they already know that the bubble is coming end of August so I may be able to enjoy the summer off with work in the pipeline. Other than the last time I was RA'd ( resource action ) in October 2020 I have not had a continuous month off work. The last RA had me scrambling for a month to find a new gig, but if this all pans out I should be able to relax for the month of July and the beginning of August 😁. I might brush up on some of my cabling standards and building sensor type offerings while on leave. I am still plugging through some Project Management certifications while still employed 🤓.

Cheers!
I will keep you in my prayers, Andrew.

Have a blessed evening, my friend.

Good news, wise to get all the certificates you can on the present companies dime. I knew an engineer who Dow was putting the screws to, he used their resources to get a Sigma 6 Black Belt. Left them for a much better job.

Continued prayers for you and the future. I’m excited for you and the future.

SOTD:
Proraso white preshave
Merrow of Clare Soap/AS
Gem 5
View attachment 1841908

I am liking that @Guido75 is doing and Excalibur evaluation of the Rubie, because it gives me time to get to know my WR3 .35. I am getting more proficient with the angle and I think the stiffer blade is making for some really comfortable shaves. It works really well ATG under my chin where the whiskers lie flat against the skin. There is no tugging even after 5 shaves on the blade and really not any touch ups required. I do have to take my time around the jawline to get the angle right but I find the angle easy to find on my neck and throat areas. I don't know why I waited 2 and half years to try a different format!!! I think I may take my injector for a spin now too. @blethenstrom Boris, that comment was for you 😁 .
Now what are you trying to do to me? Trying to get me into another rabbit hole huh? That will not work at least not right now.
Chicken Bro GIF by happydog
tease carrot GIF by Valérie Boivin

SOTD:
Proraso white preshave
Merrow of Clare Soap/AS
Gem 5
View attachment 1841908

Cheers!
Good luck with the job hunt!

SOTD:
Proraso white preshave
Merrow of Clare Soap/AS
WR2 1.15 OC
Rubie 1
Chubby 1 Super
1000005775.jpg

I am really enjoying my shaves lately. They were feeling rather chore like a few weeks ago, but that was probably because I had so much on my plate.

I pick my brushes on a whim, but I perused my spreadsheet today and I am choosing the Chubby 1 quite often. I boxed up 18 brushes in February and have not missed any of them, and even gifted my Simpsons 58 in best badger to my eldest son. He had mentioned his Parker Pure was starting to shed. I am now down to 40 brushes. Baby steps to minimalism 🤣 !!!

I met with a head hunter today and forwarded him my resume. This might open a back door with my current employer so I could come back as a contractor and basically do my same job, with less responsibility ( financials and such ) at a higher rate; however with no benefits. The rate is high enough that I could pay for my own extended benefits, but it might just be better to keep the extra pay in a separate account and use it for dental emergencies.

Cheers!

SOTD:
Proraso white preshave
Merrow of Clare Soap/AS
WR2 1.15 OC
Rubie 1
Chubby 1 Super
View attachment 1842415

I am really enjoying my shaves lately. They were feeling rather chore like a few weeks ago, but that was probably because I had so much on my plate.

I pick my brushes on a whim, but I perused my spreadsheet today and I am choosing the Chubby 1 quite often. I boxed up 18 brushes in February and have not missed any of them, and even gifted my Simpsons 58 in best badger to my eldest son. He had mentioned his Parker Pure was starting to shed. I am now down to 40 brushes. Baby steps to minimalism 🤣 !!!

I met with a head hunter today and forwarded him my resume. This might open a back door with my current employer so I could come back as a contractor and basically do my same job, with less responsibility ( financials and such ) at a higher rate; however with no benefits. The rate is high enough that I could pay for my own extended benefits, but it might just be better to keep the extra pay in a separate account and use it for dental emergencies.

Cheers!
I knew an engineer for Dow Chemical down here. Dow decided his job was expendable and "offered" him a retirement package. One of those "I got an offer you can't refuse" kind of deals. He took the package, turned around, and started to work for an engineering consulting firm S&B I think. He was making $56/hr with Dow, he was paid in excess of $100/ hour with the consulting firm which in turn charged Down $200/hour for his services. No way Dow paid $150/hour in benefits for him. He was he worked that job till he retired. But he was working at Dow's description and the job could be ended at any time. He was out of work from time to time but saved the excess money. Best of luck with the job hunt.

I knew an engineer for Dow Chemical down here. Dow decided his job was expendable and "offered" him a retirement package. One of those "I got an offer you can't refuse" kind of deals. He took the package, turned around, and started to work for an engineering consulting firm S&B I think. He was making $56/hr with Dow, he was paid in excess of $100/ hour with the consulting firm which in turn charged Down $200/hour for his services. No way Dow paid $150/hour in benefits for him. He was he worked that job till he retired. But he was working at Dow's description and the job could be ended at any time. He was out of work from time to time but saved the excess money. Best of luck with the job hunt.
Thanks man! I'm looking at doing something similar to that too. I plan on living on about half of my billing so that during the breaks between bubbles I will still have income.

Thank goodness for my shaving stockpile. I am set until my Old Age Pension kick in 8 years from now 🤣.

Top Bottom