What's new

Balin's Blade Bonanza

Some years ago when I also started I bought several Gillette Perma sharp 7 in point of the green color, really good.
At that price you could only have bought them on Ebay, right?
Correct. I made a deal with a nice lady from India. It took about 2 weeks to arrive in my country. Not bad at all, about half the time to receive Nacets purchased from Jordan. I keep on looking for someone from Turkey that will sell Perma-sharps cheaply on eBay, but no luck thus far.

I keep on looking for someone from Turkey that will sell Perma-sharps cheaply on eBay, but no luck thus far.
Are you talking about the original PermaSharp not the Indian's Gillette 7 O'clock?
I don't know by cheap what price level you mean but if you are looking for the original Perma Sharp try this Turkish store website
Click here

If you like Rapira he also sells Rapira Super Stainless for $4,81/100 seems good to me.

Last edited:
Date28.04.2024
366 daily shaves
119/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Super Speed Black HandleGillette Rubie Plus (3)Razorock 400
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (101)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)6/10 (Razor sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.5/10
(DFS+++)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. Splendid Sunday Shave with fantastic gear - just an awesome weekend in that sense!

For extended shave notes click here.

I will say that this Rubie blade had me impressed. Very nice balance between comfort and sharpness/effectiveness. So far so good and at present I would say double digits is easy.

Enjoy your shave!

Shave 1 with the Rubie Plus
1000005662.jpg

It was so nice to use this blade today! I have been sort of quiet about this blade, but it is one of my top tier blades, along with GSBs and Nacets. I tried to keep it under wraps because I know Guido didn't like the GSBs as much as I do, so I didn't want prejudice his view 🤣. This is the first time I have used a plus, but the newer etched Rubies feel the same to me and it has been confirmed by @lasta . I had a close comfortable shave, with minimal alum and aftershave feed back. I am looking forward to using the blade for the rest of the week 😃.

I know Guido didn't like the GSBs as much as I do
Well, I never said I didn´t like them - I just don´t like them enough to start screaming "Cult!!"

In fact, I was playing around with statistics this weekend (as one does on a regular Saturday) and based on 481 included shaves GSB (which I have used in 16 shaves) comes out on top in terms of smallest standard deviation (i.e. most consistent performance) regarding comfort and end results. In the quality department (i.e. clean versus redness) it is equally low, but there are blades that worked better for me. And just to put things into perspective - the GSB has super close competition from Shark Chrome (which I used in 20 shaves). Almost the same statistical performance with a little more variation on comfort. Shark Chrome has better results on average, but with a little more variation. Feather appears to be in third overall. Interestingly enough KCG (which I consider one of my favourite blades) scores lowest in comparison. And I haven´t used Dorco Titans much, but they score equal to Feathers.

So GSBs are in fact really good blades. Another very good steady performer is the Gillette Black from India.

The Rubie Plus I am currently using is no slouch either by the way. End results score better than GSB according to statistics.

Cheers,

Guido.

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
Shave 1 with the Rubie Plus
View attachment 1837386

It was so nice to use this blade today! I have been sort of quiet about this blade, but it is one of my top tier blades, along with GSBs and Nacets. I tried to keep it under wraps because I know Guido didn't like the GSBs as much as I do, so I didn't want prejudice his view 🤣. This is the first time I have used a plus, but the newer etched Rubies feel the same to me and it has been confirmed by @lasta . I had a close comfortable shave, with minimal alum and aftershave feed back. I am looking forward to using the blade for the rest of the week 😃.
Cheers Andrew.

I consider Rubies to be *almost on par with GSB, certainly one amongst the holy trinity of razor blades!

Date29.04.2024
366 daily shaves
120/366

RazorBladeBrush
Matador DeluxeGillette Rubie Plus (4)Mühle Rocca ST
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (102)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9/10 (Small dot)6/10 (Razor sharp)
8.5/10
(DFS+++)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. Kickstarting the week with the Matador is always joyful.

The blade is still going strong with consistent performance.

Enjoy your shave!

Shave 2 with the Rubies Plus
1000005676.jpg

Another great shave with this blade 😁. This is one of the few Platinum coated blades that I like. Most others just feel harsh to me. Alum/Afteshave feedback was minimal. I will give it a go in my WR2 1.15 tomorrow, because I find that razor is fussy when it comes to blades 😉.

Date30.04.2024
366 daily shaves
121/366

RazorBladeBrush
Eclipse Red RingGillette Rubie Plus (5)FNX Barber Boar
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (103)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9/10 (Small dot)6/10 (Razor sharp)
8.5/10
(DFS++)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. Fabulous close to Vintage April with the Red Ring performing admirably together with the blade.

The blade continues to perform with smoothness and comfort throughout. I think this definitely has double digits potential.

Enjoy your shave!

Date10.05.2024
366 daily shaves
122/366

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95 SCLGillette Rubie Plus (6)Abe’s Brush Works Saturn Synbad
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
TGS Savage (4)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
8.75/10
(BBS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. Ahh…coming home after using fabulous vintage razors in April what better way to kick off Modern May than with my favourite overall razor. Simply bliss.

Blade continues to shine and displays a very consistent performance.

Enjoy your shave!

Date02.05.2024
366 daily shaves
123/366

RazorBladeBrush
Karve CB OC-CGillette Rubie Plus (7)Abe’s Brush Works Smokey Bandit
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
TGS Savage (5)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9/10 (Red spot)6/10 (Razor sharp)
8.75/10
(BBS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. Marvellously close shave with a gorgeous open comb. Smooth and comfortable with excellent results.

Blade is still showing no signs of fatigue whatsoever. Pretty darn good. I think the Shark Chrome is less bitey in comparison, but this is the best of the @Balin bunch I have tried so far.

Enjoy your shave!

Another great shave with this blade 😁. This is one of the few Platinum coated blades that I like. Most others just feel harsh to me. Alum/Afteshave feedback was minimal. I will give it a go in my WR2 1.15 tomorrow, because I find that razor is fussy when it comes to blades 😉.

The blade continues to perform with smoothness and comfort throughout. I think this definitely has double digits potential.
I don't want to fall in love with the Rubie Plus. They seem to be next to impossible to buy.

Season 8 Tns GIF by THE NEXT STEP

Shave 4 with the Rubie!
1000005714.jpg

This is one of the few blades I can be confident and comfortable taking past 5 shaves! @Guido75 I am glad you are finding these the best so far. 🙂. I have small stock pile of 160 of the new package Rubies but yes they are hard to find now. I picked mine up last summer. If I get a week of shaves on a blade I have over a 3 year supply so I am not stressed. I also have a big enough stock pile of my other favourites ( 500 Nacets, 330 Wizamets, 290 Older GSBs and 280 Newer GSBs ) that I can rotate these in sporadically to make them last 😁.

Date03.05.2024
366 daily shaves
124/366

RazorBladeBrush
Razorock Game Changer .84SBGillette Rubie Plus (8)Yaqi Lucky Dice
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
TGS Savage (6)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
8.75/10
(BBS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. A truly superb shave with the Game Changer today and no signs of a Rubie going on 8. This is an amazing razor with similarly amazing results. Happy happy joy joy!!

Another run with the Rubie Plus and still a great performing blade. I definitely want to try and hit 10 shaves with this one so I should be good until Sunday. It is also getting better the more I use it - no more red spots these past few shaves.

Enjoy your shave!

Top Bottom