(details here)
Blade Sharpness
9/10 (Some red spots)5/10 (Razor Sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.75/10
(BBS-)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. A very exceptional start of the week with probably one of my best razors.

For extended shave notes click here.

The Shark Chrome is a wonderful blade. Much sharper than the previous Lord blades and I know from experience that it will retain its sharpness for a quite number of shaves. It’s also more comfortable.

Enjoy your shave.

Well I can report that @Balin 's favorite blade the Tiger Platinum had a very fine first outing. It was smooth and it left me smooth as well without any irritation. Looking forward to use it this week.

Shave #1 - Shark Super Chrome
Fatip Grande
Cella Green

I loaded the Shark with some trepidation after my bad experiences last week with the ASCO blade. I haven't had a great shave with a Lord blade since my one shot with the Silver Star last year, so the Shark was definitely getting some side eye, especially given the very much mixed feedback it arouses in members here.

Here's my first impressions after a single pass shave with some minor clean-ups. It's sharper than the ASCO but not anywhere in the vicinity of the Nacet or Perma-Sharp. Still, it cuts well enough for my use case - I had no problems looking clean and the combination of blade and razor works well with the corners of my mouth where growth is heaviest and the hair strands are in multiple directions. Tracking and removing my fine hairs near the bottom of my nose was easy to do also.

However, feel is very muted, even in the Fatip Grande, a razor that usually provides me plenty of enjoyable feedback. I can cut myself very easily with the Fatip so I find feedback desirable, even required with it. Several times as I sliced downwards, I wondered if I had actually found the cutting angle since I didn't feel my whiskers being removed. I shaved slowly, looking for the "suction" @AimlessWanderer (Thoughts on Shark Super Chrome blades? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/thoughts-on-shark-super-chrome-blades.648913/post-12557205) had described in his use of the Shark Super Chrome, but I didn't detect that sensation, just a void and lack of sensation on the face.

I ended up with a very good shave, but the experience was an odd one. I'll want to run the Shark Super Chrome in a mild razor too like the Gillette Tech to see if the sensation is different.

IMG_20240323_090358594.jpg

Date26.03.2024
366 daily shaves
086/366

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95 SCLShark Chrome (2)Omega Badger 33167
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (67)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)5/10 (Razor Sharp)
9/10
(BBS)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. Wonderful shave with all well known players.

A Shark on 2 shaves is nothing yet and so the blade is plenty sharp and still comfortable.

Enjoy your shave!

Date27.03.2024
366 daily shaves
087/366

RazorBladeBrush
Karve CB OC-CShark Chrome (3)Razorock Beehive
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (68)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
9/10
(BBS)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. Had to be in the office early so needed an effective razor. My Karve never disappoints.

Blade is still comfortably strong. Smoothness is good as well. In terms of scoring charts this might be a contender for top spot so far.

Enjoy your shave!

Shave #2 - Shark Super Chrome
Baili BT131
Arko Frankensoap

I got a lot more feedback from this blade and razor combination. I tend to think maybe some of the coating had worn off which explains most of the change in feel. My shave went well other than a couple of weepers which I take the blame for - I was buffing carelessly without bothering to reapply soap. No complaints. My face is smooth after a single pass and only a bit of cleanup was needed.

Shark Chromes are cost-effective when bought in bulk. They don't get a lot of love on B&B though. I like them so far based on performance and if I can get 4-5 shaves, that's great. To me they do not feel sharp which I guess is part of the feedback I enjoy, so I personally deduct a few points there. I am having trouble articulating that to myself. The Gillette Silver Blue and Treet Platinum feel smooth and sharp at the same time to me. The Shark Super Chrome can feel smooth, but not sharp if that even makes sense.

What did you mix Arko with? I have had great results by mixing Tabac and Arko into Tabarko.

Exactly why I like them! There is actually a brotherhood called Swimmers of Sharks founded by @Cafebarian.
This morning was a 50/50 blend of Arko with Ivory bath soap + 1 drop of glycerin. This worked well, but I believe I like a 33/33/33 proportion of Arko/Ivory/Dove + Men better because it is less drying on the skin. No big deal either way because I use a face moisturizer after shaving. My main motivation in using an Arko Frankensoap is to lessen the greasy film effect. Ivory is very drying, so it works as a good counterbalance to Arko.

I saw that the Shark brotherhood. I dunno if I can genuinely pose as a member but for sure I'll be a regular Shark Week participant.

This morning was a 50/50 blend of Arko with Ivory bath soap + 1 drop of glycerin. This worked well, but I believe I like a 33/33/33 proportion of Arko/Ivory/Dove + Men better because it is less drying on the skin. No big deal either way because I use a face moisturizer after shaving. My main motivation in using an Arko Frankensoap is to lessen the greasy film effect. Ivory is very drying, so it works as a good counterbalance to Arko.

I saw that the Shark brotherhood. I dunno if I can genuinely pose as a member but for sure I'll be a regular Shark Week participant.
All are welcome to SoS regardless of how often one uses Shark blades. All members are genuine.

As an example I haven't used a shark blade in months yet am the founding member (This is due to going through other blades that I own and being in the year restraint)

Shave 2 with the Shark Chrome.
1000005350.jpg

Hmmm, much like @lasta I had a general dislike of this blade. I used the word had, because today's results disabused me of that opinion 😁. I skipped yesterday so the Shark was presented with 2 days growth and it was up to the task. It was a 2 pass no touch up BBS result. The blade is not as sharp or as smooth as my favourites ( GSB ) but it got the job done. I preferred today's shave to first shave on the Shark. I am expecting big things for tomorrow!

Date28.03.2024
366 daily shaves
088/366

RazorBladeBrush
Blackbird SSShark Chrome (4)Razorock Big Bruce
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (69)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
9/10
(BBS)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. Rotating between my modern razors before Vintage April kicks off. Top notch shave with the Blackbird.

Blade was still in performance mode and it will be a breeze getting to 7 shaves and possibly 10 shaves will be easy as well.

Enjoy your shave!

Top Bottom