What's new

Balin's Blade Bonanza

Another Racer shave is in the books!

1000005201.jpg

I am looking forward to the Asco tomorrow especially to see if its like the Racer. I think it was one of @Quaznoid 's posts that made me want to try them in the first place!

Date18.03.2024
366 daily shaves
078/366

RazorBladeBrush
Blackbird SSASCO (1)Simpson T3
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (59)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
9.5/10 (Almost clean)5/10 (Sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.75/10
(BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Despite Mühle Monday I decided to give the Blackbird another go following yesterday’s shave.

For extended shave notes click here.

The blade is good. Better than the Racer I would say. Definitely more aftershave sting. Comfortable, but paired with the Blackbird not necessarily butterysmooth.

Enjoy your shave!

Bloodbath at the Bastille
Shave #1 - ASCO Orange
Lord L6
Cella Green

So, this was possibly the bloodiest shave I have had ever, like Margaret Pole bloody. OK, I am kidding, but the final wound count was something like 4 cuts, 1 weeper, and a big aftershave burning at the stake.

Last Saturday I finally emerged from my Covid hermit look and was clean shaven for the first time in almost four years. My wife remarked I appeared almost 15 years younger. Nice, huh? Well, excited to maintain my rejuvenated visage, I loaded up an ASCO (orange) into my Lord L6. The strategy was to continue my streak of good shaves since my last two Lord Racer shaves had gone much better in the L6.

It was not to be. I have never been one to chase a BBS - never needed it honestly since a single WTG pass always produced a PFS when I wore a mustache and goatee. With them gone however, on my chin and above my lips, I could see some hair stubble even after taking a decent first pass.

No worries, right? I'll just join the Two Passes Club and enjoy the opportunity to prolong my shaves and use more Product like the American Consumer I am. But, yikes. Yikes! This was a whole new game. I just could not get rid of that stupid, unsightly dark stubble underneath my skin! My face felt smooth, but I could still see the hair. Out Damn Spot, Out!

Buffing didn't help. So I went for against the grain and across the grain. And that was the fatal (well not really as I yet breathe still) error. Slice, slice, ouch, ouch. The cuts and blood count mounted. I think my command of the L6 just isn't that good. I do not instinctively acquire the right angle to do anything other than North-South strokes, and the outcome showed it. After the 4th cut, I literally threw in the towel by wiping off my face. Then I applied aftershave and lotion which resulted in more ouchies of another type.

Thinking back, I needed to stretch my face to try to expose the hair more instead of pressing harder and trying to get fancy with technique I clearly need practice with. I think I also need to stay with one razor and learn it well so I can shave ATG at the very least. I'm not going to blame the ASCO for my poor outing, but I am glad my blade had the orange wrapper and NOT THE RED.

Definitely one of the worst shaves I have had since I started DE shaving. This will pass. I hope I am healed up enough in 48 hours to go for a second shave with the ASCO.

IMG_20240317_134210125.jpg

Shave #1 - ASCO Orange
Lord L6
Cella Green

So, this was possibly the bloodiest shave I have had ever, like Margaret Pole bloody. OK, I am kidding, but the final wound count was something like 4 cuts, 1 weeper, and a big aftershave burning at the stake.

Last Saturday I finally emerged from my Covid hermit look and was clean shaven for the first time in almost four years. My wife remarked I appeared almost 15 years younger. Nice, huh? Well, excited to maintain my rejuvenated visage, I loaded up an ASCO (orange) into my Lord L6. The strategy was to continue my streak of good shaves since my last two Lord Racer shaves had gone much better in the L6.

It was not to be. I have never been one to chase a BBS - never needed it honestly since a single WTG pass always produced a PFS when I wore a mustache and goatee. With them gone however, on my chin and above my lips, I could see some hair stubble even after taking a decent first pass.

No worries, right? I'll just join the Two Passes Club and enjoy the opportunity to prolong my shaves and use more Product like the American Consumer I am. But, yikes. Yikes! This was a whole new game. I just could not get rid of that stupid, unsightly dark stubble underneath my skin! My face felt smooth, but I could still see the hair. Out Damn Spot, Out!

Buffing didn't help. So I went for against the grain and across the grain. And that was the fatal (well not really as I yet breathe still) error. Slice, slice, ouch, ouch. The cuts and blood count mounted. I think my command of the L6 just isn't that good. I do not instinctively acquire the right angle to do anything other than North-South strokes, and the outcome showed it. After the 4th cut, I literally threw in the towel by wiping off my face. Then I applied aftershave and lotion which resulted in more ouchies of another type.

Thinking back, I needed to stretch my face to try to expose the hair more instead of pressing harder and trying to get fancy with technique I clearly need practice with. I think I also need to stay with one razor and learn it well so I can shave ATG at the very least. I'm not going to blame the ASCO for my poor outing, but I am glad my blade had the orange wrapper and NOT THE RED.

Definitely one of the worst shaves I have had since I started DE shaving. This will pass. I hope I am healed up enough in 48 hours to go for a second shave with the ASCO.

View attachment 1814410
I hope you heal up quickly!!

lasta

Blade Biter
Shave #1 - ASCO Orange
Lord L6
Cella Green

View attachment 1814410
Get well soon! A little blood shouldn't stop you in the blade bonanza!

lasta

Blade Biter
I wonder if there are any wet shavers who pass out at the sight of blood. Now that would be horrible! I know several people that have a hard time with the sight of blood, but I do not think they are wet shavers. We would literally find them in a pool/puddle/smidgen of blood on the floor passed out.
I have no aversion to blood, but I wouldn't want to see anything even close to a pool/puddle while shaving!

As far as I can remember, red dots top it for me. Maybe a tiny 1-2CM stream every 5 years or so at most!

I have no aversion to blood, but I wouldn't want to see anything even close to a pool/puddle while shaving!

As far as I can remember, red dots top it for me. Maybe a tiny 1-2CM stream every 5 years or so at most!
Funniest story of all, when it comes to passing out from the sight of blood, that I have was when my step-daughter got her finger caught in the door jam at home and had to go to the ER for a few stiches. I was at work when this happened so my dear wife told me the story. So my step-daughters father went to the ER as well and he came in there when they had already started to work on my step-daughter. My dear wife proceeded to question her ex and if it was a good idea that he was in there while they were doing this. She knew that he had issues with the sight blood. He had passed out on her before. Anyways he said that he was fine etc. After a while he left the room and my wife thought mhmm yep it is getting to him she thought. Next thing she knows, a nurse sticks her head in through the door and informs my wife that her husband passed out on the floor in the hallway. My wife tells her "He is no husband of mine, he is all yours". I almost died laughing when she told me that story.

Last edited:
I wonder if there are any wet shavers who pass out at the sight of blood. Now that would be horrible! I know several people that have a hard time with the sight of blood, but I do not think they are wet shavers. We would literally find them in a pool/puddle/smidgen of blood on the floor passed out.

No issues with viewing blood, even my own, but I'm not a huge fan of having cuts and scrapes on my face. I already occasionally go to work with the odd bruise or injury, and it's always a hassle explaining it to my colleagues. Inevitably, someone will strike the crane pose from The Karate Kid and I just have to sigh.

No issues with viewing blood, even my own, but I'm not a huge fan of having cuts and scrapes on my face. I already occasionally go to work with the odd bruise or injury, and it's always a hassle explaining it to my colleagues. Inevitably, someone will strike the crane pose from The Karate Kid and I just have to sigh.
I am not sure anyone is fond of cuts and scrapes. I am just curious if anyone who can't stand the look of blood, even your own, wet shaves. I can imagine that being a bit challenging. It is kind of new parent getting dry hives when they change their baby's first diapers.

Oh yes I remember those bruises from martial arts....... the odd pinched nerve. My ulna nerve got pinched in my elbow during one of my sessions. It is nothing like shooting pain in your lower arm for the odd weeks.

I am not sure anyone is fond of cuts and scrapes. I am just curious if anyone who can't stand the look of blood, even your own, wet shaves. I can imagine that being a bit challenging. It is kind of new parent getting dry hives when they change their baby's first diapers.

Oh yes I remember those bruises from martial arts....... the odd pinched nerve. My ulna nerve got pinched in my elbow during one of my sessions. It is nothing like shooting pain in your lower arm for the odd weeks.
I do remember the dry retching from changing my son's diapers, but those days are long over. LOL.

I had a younger student who came to Okinawan karate from kyokushinkai, so he thought of bruises and cuts as a badge of honor. He said, "Sensei, you have a point," when I posed the thought to him that he should work on his tai sabaki and blocking to avoid those bruises and cuts.

The most serious MA injury I have suffered came from my judo competition days. My opponent felled on top of me when we got entangled and I took an elbow WWE-style to my torso. I had a grade 2 lacerated spleen and could have died per my doctors.

I do remember the dry retching from changing my son's diapers, but those days are long over. LOL.

I had a younger student who came to Okinawan karate from kyokushinkai, so he thought of bruises and cuts as a badge of honor. He said, "Sensei, you have a point," when I posed the thought to him that he should work on his tai sabaki and blocking to avoid those bruises and cuts.

The most serious MA injury I have suffered came from my judo competition days. My opponent felled on top of me when we got entangled and I took an elbow WWE-style to my torso. I had a grade 2 lacerated spleen and could have died per my doctors.
Oh yes being thrown, fallen upon etc is no joke and in Judo it is throwing and landing on your opponent. I can see that happening. I am glad to see that you came through. My favorite throws is tai-otoshi and harai-goshi. Tai-otoshi for me was the fastest throw and I took down many opponents with that one. Harai-goshi I liked to throw, but not so much being uke for though. I knocked my knees together several times before I learned to separate my legs to avoid it.

The bloodbath continues :scared:.

Ok I am being a little dramatic, I did get a weeper shaving today the first one since Feb 19th when I had an improperly seated blade in an Ever-Ready.

1000005224.jpg

This is the first time I have ever had a blade that was noticeably duller on one side. The right side of my cheek fine. The left cheek was really tuggy. I thought I would test the theory out by trying the dull side on my right jawline and bam, weeper 🤨.

I finished the shave with the sharp side of the blade and no mishaps occurred.

I will try a new blade tomorrow and pending results I may be renaming this blade with the addition of a strategically placed 'S' 🤣

lasta

Blade Biter
After one mediocre and 2 negative reviews, it's fair to say I wasn't very enthusiastic about today's shave...

Loaded the ASCO in a pre-war Tech to be safe.
20240319_125625.jpg
Even though this came from the same batch (in fact same carton) as our other esteemed reviewers, I think I drew the long stick! Both edges were consistent on my blade!

Consistent but unfortunately not spectacular. It took a few swipes for the blade to cut efficiently, even then, sharpness is not quite where I like it. ATG resistance was higher than expect and more buffing work was needed than usual.

That being said, the blade didn't punish me for the extra buffing and was comfortable throughout. Aftershave sting was also below average.

I only managed overall DFS/DFS+ despite the extra effort, so these are getting a 3/5 sharp and 4/5 smooth on my scale. Just OK/mediocre.
1710824919858.png

Date19.03.2024
366 daily shaves
079/366

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95 SCLASCO (2)Zenith 502B XSE
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (60)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
9.5/10 (Almost clean)4/10 (Sharp Edge)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.25/10
(DFS++)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Relaxing and smooth shave. The blade felt exhausted already after two shaves. Still sufficiently comfortable.

For extended shave notes click here.

Middle of the road comfort. In this second shave I would say less than the Racer blade and they are definitely not the same to me.

Enjoy your shave!

Top Bottom