What's new

Badger is far superior to synthetic for lather application

This morning I used my Razorock 400 with the Plissoft knot. I took some of the advice offered here, which was to not use the same technique as with a badger bush by backing off on the amount of water. Essentially a higher cream-to-water ratio.

The results were mixed. I only had one blob of lather flop off the brush into the sink, which is better than the norm. So the water/cream ratio is definitely involved.

I have to admit though that I don't like to have to put that much thought into it in the morning. It's one of the reasons I only use a single razor (1959 Gillette Fatboy). I don't want to have to think about changing my shaving technique with different components. So I'm still going to change out the synthetics for badger in those handles. But YMMV.

This morning I used my Razorock 400 with the Plissoft knot. I took some of the advice offered here, which was to not use the same technique as with a badger bush by backing off on the amount of water. Essentially a higher cream-to-water ratio.

The results were mixed. I only had one blob of lather flop off the brush into the sink, which is better than the norm. So the water/cream ratio is definitely involved.

I have to admit though that I don't like to have to put that much thought into it in the morning. It's one of the reasons I only use a single razor (1959 Gillette Fatboy). I don't want to have to think about changing my shaving technique with different components. So I'm still going to change out the synthetics for badger in those handles. But YMMV.

When you get to know your items, it doesn’t require much thought to swap around what you’re using, shaving is just like anything else in that regard.

I get what your saying. And I agree some people won’t enjoy having to adjust routines. But I also find that the most enjoyable part about the classic wet shaving industry is the concept of experimentation. Getting new things buying new scents trying different razors and aftershaves. Call me a hobbyist, and I would agree but if you are looking for a simple daily routine the badgers are amazing brushes. I would suggest a Kent or chubby 2 if your ok with the price tags. My Kent BLK4 is perfectly sized with a great feel for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, I consider myself a hobbyist when it comes to shaving. If I wasn't, I wouldn't have 14 brushes, six different creams, and five different aftershaves in constant rotation. But they all work right with the same routine each morning, which I like.

If this was Jeopardy, then the correct answer would be "What is something that is untrue, Alex?".

Use what you enjoy, but for me, Synthetics are the best.

My tastes vary based on what I feel is important at a point in time. I reach for my high mountain white more often on cold days because it absorbs hot water and stays warm longer. It also absorbs lather and takes longer to clean. I like using this for creams.

I reach for my plissoft on warmer days. I don't even have to soak it, just run it under the medium temp tap and start lathering. And it rinses off very quickly since it doesn't absorb anything. I like using this for shave sticks and hard soaps. It feels like this brush will outlast my badgers before wearing out. Boars will wear out first.

I reach for my boar if I'm using Marco's method on a soft soap as it holds the perfect amount of water to lather it up well.

I went through a horse phase with soft soap but got bored with it and PIFed it out because I prefer to be rough with my brushes and use circular motions.

Brushes sure are a YMMV thing for sure. In my opinion, a high quality Badger is a work of art both in performance and beauty. However, I probably use synthetics 95% of the time now. I'm a 3 or 4 pass bowl latherer and can always get a great lather and application with a synthetic. Why do I use synthetics most of the time? No soaking required, does not hog lather, generates lather easily, very soft and smooth application, rinses easily, and dries quickly. When I have extra time, I still like to pull out a beautiful badger for the decadent experience and variety. Badgers do hold a lot of lather and seem to hold heat a little better. Whenever I am using a heat sensitive soap with my synths, I use a scuttle and have the same warm lather as a badger.

I prefer synthetics as well, but my synthetic is only a years old or so and came from Whipped Dog. Great brush, but I keep the lather rather stiff...about the consistency of whipped cream. My badger has sat in the drawer for about a year now. At the time I bought the synthetic, he told me it was a brand new type of synthetic bristle. Works for me. Easier to lather with soaps normally difficult to lather like the Fat!

Also, there is a considerable amount of truth, practicality, politeness and wisdom in this thread! Great discussion, folks!

Here's some of my lineup (since I'm the one that complained about pics)
IMG_20180211_111613_panorama_edit.jpg

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Most of my brushes are badgers in several different grades. I have two syns and two boars - the latter ones get used maybe 1x per year. One synthetic is in my travel kit and it is used very often as I do travel a lot. The only reason I use the synthetic for this is that I do not have to take it out of the travel kit after a trip. In the past, I used a badger, but it was a pita to always take it out and dry before putting it back; then one day I forgot....
Yes, I am a badger man!!

I too have several synthetic brushes that I use once in a while. They are OK.

In my opinion and limited experience, there is nothing that compares to badger. A good badger knot that is. Nothing.

I have switched to 95% synthetics. It builds lather faster and consumes less soap because the synth will release the lather on to the face rather than hoard the lather the way a badger does.

I dont like the idea of putting money in the pockets of the industry that is capturing and killing these wild badgers in China either. Not when we have synthetic alternatives that perform as well or better than badger.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I like badgers and boars, but synthetics have their place. I think it really is a "suit yourself" proposition.

upload_2018-4-2_15-42-38.png

I don't have this brush, but would be happy to review it for an extended period should one appear in my mailbox. Here's the link.

Happy shaves to everybody,

Jim

I really prefer softer brushes. My main go to is the Thater ST Bulb. However, I'm really starting to appreciate a good synthetic due to the softness. I absolutely love the RazoRock 400 and plan to try out their new 24 Barrel model.

To nitpick in a friendly way is interesting to hear multiple posters comment that synthetics do not hoard lather the way that badger does, while others note that people who drop lather while in the middle of trying to build lather with a synthetic are "doing it wrong", whereas I think both comments are closely related.

While both a badger and synthetic (and boar or horse) can successfully lather I believe the differentiating characteristics are clearly YMMY. Where aspects like animal-free vs petroleum-free, softness vs scritchiness, water/soap holding vs releasing, price vs extravagance, fast drying vs slower drying, modern vs traditional, etc. all factor into our decision of preferred brush type depending on what we value the most.

I know some will think my statement is sacrilege and I'll get some flaming for it, but this has been my experience.

I have 14 brushes in rotation. Ten are Silvertip Badger, three are synthetic, and one is Best Badger. Of the three synthetic, one is a Razorock Plisoft, one is a synthetic from Maggart's, and one is a vintage nylon Made Rite. All three synthetics drop lather when applying it to my face, while none of the badgers ever do this. Synthetics just can't hold on to lather when fully loaded.

This morning's shave was the last straw. I'm going to drill out the three synthetic brushes and replace them all with badger.

Right On.

Interesting thread! I find my synthetics easy and mindless to use, as I've spent more time with them. I have to put a lot more work and thought into lathering with my badger, which has made me realize - I need to use it more often! :)

Also, there is a considerable amount of truth, practicality, politeness and wisdom in this thread! Great discussion, folks!

Here's some of my lineup (since I'm the one that complained about pics)
View attachment 871966

Zig, great idea to get photos going. I added a separate thread for showing photos of brush collections. You can find it here. I hope you'll add your photos. Below is a group shot of mine.

Just an update. I took the advice of some of you and am using less water when whipping up lather with the synthetic knots than I use with the badger knots. It has definitely improved the performance of the synthetic knot. They're still not at the level of badger IMHO, but they are dropping less lather during application than they used to. Thanks much for the help with this.

Top Bottom