What's new

Badger is far superior to synthetic for lather application

I don't think any preference for badger, boar, horse or synthetic can be absolutely true for all people.

Some people will swear by each kind.

I have used a lot of badger, boar and synthetics, but I find myself reaching for the boars most often

Badgers are more luxurious, they work great but hold on to the lather in the knot and don’t release as well as synthetics. Synthetics are probably the better lather building and releasing brushes, which also uses less soap. Badgers have a premium feel to it and I like that a lot. As great of a lather synthetics build and I appreciate the release and using less soap it still feels like a synthetic, feels and looks cheap. Badgers for me but I do agree synthetics have at least caught up and possibly passed badgers for performance.

I know some will think my statement is sacrilege and I'll get some flaming for it, but this has been my experience.

I have 14 brushes in rotation. Ten are Silvertip Badger, three are synthetic, and one is Best Badger. Of the three synthetic, one is a Razorock Plisoft, one is a synthetic from Maggart's, and one is a vintage nylon Made Rite. All three synthetics drop lather when applying it to my face, while none of the badgers ever do this. Synthetics just can't hold on to lather when fully loaded.

This morning's shave was the last straw. I'm going to drill out the three synthetic brushes and replace them all with badger.

I'm sure this is correct, although I don't have a synthetic, badgers are know to retain more water than synthetics or boars, it stands to reason the same would apply to lather.

Here is a photo of my badger brushes:

full

My favorites are the Paladin El Dorado (top row far left), the Paladin Chief (front row center), the Da Vinci 290 (front row second from left).

That is a beautiful collection of brushes. Even though I use synths most of the time these days, nothing beats the beauty of a badger. Incidentally, I love the Paladins very much, but I'm surprised how much I enjoy the Da Vinci 290. It's a really decadent brush for sure.

Here is a photo of my badger brushes:

full

My favorites are the Paladin El Dorado (top row far left), the Paladin Chief (front row center), the Da Vinci 290 (front row second from left).

Wow! I have a DaVinci 290 that I am going to drop from my rotation, it sheds like a golden retriever in August

Basically brushes fall into 3 categories:

Great, good, meh.

Synths have come a long way to the point they are now challenging/surpassing badgers in ease of lather application/creation.

Where synths don't measure up to badger is in heat retention. If you want warm lather from start to finish, a badger and a scuttle are the answer.

I own synths, badgers,and 2 boars. All of them are either great ( Chubby 2, Rooney 2XL, Cashmere) or good ( SOC Boar, Omega Boar, Stirling Kong)- meh have been PIFed.

The thing is, what is great or good for ME, can be totally different for you. I'm just happy to be alive at a time when we have the supply and variety to go in whatever direction we so choose.

Enjoy those brushes that make your shave ( and lather!)sing. Pass on or sell the ones that don't.

marty

Nope, that's not the case. I use the same process for all brushes with all lathers. The synthetics are just incapable of holding lather during application to the face, in my experience. Blobs come off and fall to the counter. This never happens with my badger brushes.
I think you found your problem each brush of different knot materials takes time to learn and always demands a different approach. Branch out try different methods always doing exactly the same thing always produces the exact same results. I used to dismiss synthetic, badger is still my favorite but synthetic found a spot in my rotation after a Stirling tuxedo synthetic that cost 12.00 performs as far as making lather right up there with my Badgers that cost a few hundred.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My Stirling $12.00 tuxedo synthetic performs at making lather with any brush on the market hands down. I think your using to much water but you could have a bad synthetic who knows ( brush type?) Before giving up on synthetic spend 12.00 on this Stirling brush and shake out the excess water and build lather add a little water to the tips as you go and watch this thing work. But if your happy solely with badger I understand, I love to them to.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

H

Here is what mine looks like. I have the 293, also.

full
I have the 293 also. I love it when I'm using smaller soap containers. Both the 290 and 293 use very high quality hair. I have heard others complain about hair loss also. I learned a long time ago to not soak any of my high end badgers in very hot water and not above the glue bump. Haven't had an issue with hair loss on a badger brush ever since. However, I never lost hairs on either Da Vinci after first use. I have been very pleased with them and even though I use synthetics a lot these days, the Da Vinci's and a Kent BK8 get used more than any of my other badgers.

Top Bottom