What's new

B.O.S.S. Brotherhood of Slant Shavers

Slants have been pretty pricey on eBay recently. Hoffritz and the other private label razors manufactured by Merkur have been strong and really nice cased examples usually in the $150+ range. The best bargain is for a NOS Lutz that has ranged in price from $40 to $60. These are new condition old Solingen head slant razors. The seller found a box of old store stock and usually has one for sale each week. I mention the Lutz because it has the Solingen head which I think has the most efficient and best slant geometry of any twist razor. Many German companies used this generic head for their slant product. And the Lutz is a brand new, unused example that s going to give years and years of service.

But 271424649597 on eBay which closed today for $170 takes the cake, first place trophy and everything else. The razor was in user condition, had a nice proprietary handle but is nothing more than the Generic Solingen head, the same one that is on the Lutz. Go figure. I would say more research would be helpful to not overpay for stuff.

But 271424649597 on eBay which closed today for $170 takes the cake, first place trophy and everything else. The razor was in user condition, had a nice proprietary handle but is nothing more than the Generic Solingen head, the same one that is on the Lutz. Go figure. I would say more research would be helpful to not overpay for stuff.
I was watching that one and put a bid on it but nowhere near $170!!

The NOS Lutz I bought is an awesome shaver and whet my appetite for slants.

$170 is just too much.... I'd expect a metal mulcuto in the paper box for that kind of cash or something genuinely interesting...

That handle is a mess. It looks like a apolloish handle crashed into a le coq neck and then it all got rear ended by a ball end old type.

Hi,

I really like the Solingen Slant head, too. Not quite as much as I like the Fasan Double Slant, though. I passed my Solingen Slant along to a buddy. He really likes it, too. Now, all I gotta do is convert him from being a lurker.... ;)

Stan

I would love to try a vintage Hoffritz or Lutz slant. I had the 37c and recently moved on to the iKon slant, and while I don't use it every time I shave it is my favorite razor. I've found that the slants are the most efficient shavers without being aggressive, and that is a great combination for me.

A double slant is one of the few things I actively look for. The only one I ever encountered in the wild had terminal zinc pest.

Ran across this last week. Aequator. Had only seen this razor one other time a couple of years ago. The company is weakly listed with one line in Waits with no description of their products. Assume this manufacturer was doing business in Solingen, Germany and made straights as well as offering a DE slant with the generic Solingen slant head. A very sturdy razor at 67 grams and made out of cast brass instead of Zamak. Because of this the razor can be re-plated with no concern for how it will come out but it is beautiful in the polished un-plated brass form. The first two pictures show the razor as it was received and the last three after a nice bath in dishwasher detergent and hot water followed by a polish with Flitz. I don't think I will rush off to have it re-plated and polish it every once in awhile to maintain the shine. Have not shaved with it yet but assume it will be the normal sensational Solingen slant shave characteristic of this head. Might even be better because of the weight of the razor. It looks gold plated it shined up so nice.
$Aeq.4.jpg$Aeq.4a.jpg$DSCN3328.jpg$DSCN3329.jpg$DSCN3330.jpg

That would look fantastic in silver plate.

Ran across this last week. Aequator. Had only seen this razor one other time a couple of years ago. The company is weakly listed with one line in Waits with no description of their products. Assume this manufacturer was doing business in Solingen, Germany and made straights as well as offering a DE slant with the generic Solingen slant head. A very sturdy razor at 67 grams and made out of cast brass instead of Zamak. Because of this the razor can be re-plated with no concern for how it will come out but it is beautiful in the polished un-plated brass form. The first two pictures show the razor as it was received and the last three after a nice bath in dishwasher detergent and hot water followed by a polish with Flitz. I don't think I will rush off to have it re-plated and polish it every once in awhile to maintain the shine. Have not shaved with it yet but assume it will be the normal sensational Solingen slant shave characteristic of this head. Might even be better because of the weight of the razor. It looks gold plated it shined up so nice.
View attachment 427356View attachment 427357View attachment 427358View attachment 427359View attachment 427360

View attachment 427356View attachment 427357View attachment 427358View attachment 427359View attachment 427360

Hi,

I think that looks fine. There is something special about one that came by its wear honestly. i bet you are.correct regarding the weight. I felt that way myself, that the zamak is too light. I found that the metal top cap Fasan shaves better than the all plastic version due to having a little extra weight.

Stan

Funny... that razor was sold yesterday for €47, and now appears as BIN for the same €47...

Simplest explanation is they are trying to see what price the market will bear. They did a test run and they want the market to uphold that price. If it does not, they will drop down a few Euro or hold.

Top Bottom