What's new

B&B's I Cycle, You Cycle, Let's Exchange Stories (aka B.I.C.Y.C.L.E.S.)

My regular recreational cycling habit got broken. Even when I did go, my Garmin often got left behind and the rides never went into my log. Shameful. At least I put put in regular utility bike miles for shopping, errands, and to get to my exercise venues.

Today, I finally put long-needed new Gatorskins on my carbon Fuji Gran Fondo. The Garmin was charged up. Even though rain was coming, I dashed off about 10 recreation/training miles up to the top of the nearest butte and home. And logbooked it, plus 4 other rides that were lost in the Garmin memory bank.

I hope I can keep it up, in the intervals between the harder rains this winter.
You could use Strava on your phone my friend. It's free, and works fairly well. 🚲

You could use Strava on your phone my friend. It's free, and works fairly well. 🚲

My eldest is a Strava junkie. It's not pretty. He is just did our local marathon. He woke up, decided to register and pay the 'day of' late fee, ran a couple miles to the start downtown, and then ran the race. Then ran home.

B&B has me shaving every day - in retirement. Strava would probably destroy me.

A real workout, at least for me, but the weather was great, and the trails were in good shape because of a recent rain. And as a bonus, I'll sleep well tonight. :sleep1:
Image-1 (4).jpg

Made the drive out to the MTB park Saturday for my first ride there since the ankle fx. I have also had a half gallon of blood removed in three weeks for another reason. The red blood cells were sorely missed! I have never not completed the 10+ mile lap out there, but I did the walk of shame out of the expert loop and took the double track back to the lot. The ankle is fine. The CV is not.

I recently had my 35 year old UNIVEGA one speed , coaster brake bike stolen .... When I move I plan to buy another one speed coaster bike . I like a big padded seat with a back rest and high rise handle bars , I find it's much easier on an old arthritic back .... something around $300 .... Any suggestions ?

I recently had my 35 year old UNIVEGA one speed , coaster brake bike stolen .... When I move I plan to buy another one speed coaster bike . I like a big padded seat with a back rest and high rise handle bars , I find it's much easier on an old arthritic back .... something around $300 .... Any suggestions ?
Sorry your bike was stolen.

Here are a few:
1) shop in the off season. There are often markdowns on quality bikes once winter comes. Quality bike makers do have one-speed coaster models in their lines. I have seen a few in recent emails from Trek.
2) you may be able to find a coaster brake bike with an additional caliper brake on the front wheel. Worth it an an emergency. I speak from rueful experience.
3) get a step-thru frame. You may already have planned that.

I put in about 20 miles yesterday. The Garmin ran out of juice and recorded about 14 of them. Sunshine!

I am appreciating the feeling of security with my new basic black Gatorskins. I just didn't trust the cute red Michelin LithIons any more.

Having primarily used my utility bikes (heavy racks and hefty kickstands) for the last year, the full carbon Fuji feels like cheating.

I was out early, while the bike commuters were still peddling. I remain amazed at the discourtesy of some riders to both pedestrians and other bicyclists.

On a multi-use path, I watched an oncoming commuter passing a big delivery trike on a curve. When the commuter saw me, she unnecessarily cut back in across the delivery bike's front tire. Dodging, the delivery bike guy sideswiped a handrail and hit the base of a light post with the right rear wheel.

He did not fall, but only because it was a heavy, probably laden trike moving at a moderate pace. The commuter rode on, maintaining her excessive pace. She possibly didn't hear the loud crash against the light post. Or perhaps did not care.

Sorry your bike was stolen.

Here are a few:
1) shop in the off season. There are often markdowns on quality bikes once winter comes. Quality bike makers do have one-speed coaster models in their lines. I have seen a few in recent emails from Trek.
2) you may be able to find a coaster brake bike with an additional caliper brake on the front wheel. Worth it an an emergency. I speak from rueful experience.
3) get a step-thru frame. You may already have planned that.
Thanks Tanuki ... and yes, I plan to look for a step through frame , much safer !

Beautiful area! I'm considering registering for the Shasta Gravel Hugger.
From what I've gathered, the 'Hugger' is fun, but challenging. Some of the people I mt bike with also have gravel bikes, and put in many miles. If you go, please post your experience. Good luck!

From what I've gathered, the 'Hugger' is fun, but challenging. Some of the people I mt bike with also have gravel bikes, and put in many miles. If you go, please post your experience. Good luck!
If I do, I will report. Assuming I don't freeze to death. I may have to wait for the 2025 edition. I'm already taking off to San Diego for another event the weekend after the Hugger for '24.

IMG_5773.jpeg

'Today' was Saturday. It was a pleasant loop ride through the neighborhoods. Therefore Ascent should match Descent.

More to the point, Google Maps and I agree that the total Ascent/Descent was about 180 feet. Has my Garmin 500 flipped its lid?

Sunny, but cold.

These pictures show what could be my last road bike ride of the year. It was 36 degrees. I took a nice, slow ride to a coffeeshop.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

We now have 2 inches of snow on the ground in Waukesha, WI. The mountain bike will likely get more love in the coming months.

Top Bottom