B&B's Best Bars in America

The Capitol Bar
110 Plaza
Socorro, NM 87801
My home bar in NM.

Buckhorn Tavern (aka Manny's)
68 Highway 380
San Antonio, NM 87801
One of the best burgers ever (green chile a must)!

Here in Houston I prefer McElroy's ever since the Ale House got knocked down. :crying:

Aidan's Pub
Bristol, RI

-Place is an authentic irish pub. They just did a renovation, and the place is amazing. Wood paneling, comfortable seats, lots of room. The bartenders are all great people, friendly, and generous with the pour. :thumbup1: Also, they have great food. If you go, i recommend the bangers and mash with homemade guinness gravy. :biggrin:

In Atlanta:

10 High Club
816 North Highland Ave.
Atlanta, GA 30306

Home of Metalsome INC. Which has been called the "Thunderdome of Karaoke" by Rolling Stone. While it is karaoke, there's a slight twist. You don't sing to a CD playing, instead you have a live band playing behind you.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsoE2agOkbY&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

I'm not much of a drinker. When I go out, its to socialize rather than to consume alcohol. (My copious intake of Johnnie Black on rocks notwithstanding.)

Generally, I prefer someplace with a dance floor, which is more properly termed a nightclub rather than a bar.

But the thread asked about my favorite bar. Its this one:

Birds of a Feather in Fell's Point, Baltimore, MD

They offer 120 different kinds of Single Malt Scotch. A fairly decent menu of sandwiches and finger foods, and they don't mind if you bring in food from any of the other restaurants in the area. They used to allow cigar-smoking, but I think the MD State Legislature put an end to that.

But its not the Scotch that makes this place special. Its the owners/bartenders, John and Alicia. From day 1, they made me feel welcome. From day 2, they treated me and my friends like we were regulars. They really know their stuff about Scotch, and they pour a very generous shot for cheap (by Fell's Point standards) prices.

I celebrated my 47th birthday there. I drank my age in Scotch (a 10yo, a 16yo, and a 21yo, in that order.) John was kind enough to take my car-keys and let me sleep it off in the back room.

I haven't been there in years, but they're still in business, and friends back in Baltimore tell me its still going strong.

If you like Scotch and ever get to Baltimore, check 'em out. (They serve other drinks besides Scotch, but why bother?)

Also, not really a bar (no alcohol is served), but I love the place.

The Purple Caterpillar
Portland, ME

Located in the old port (a 5 minute walk from my favorite sushi place), this Hookah Lounge is a happening spot for the college kids up to the mid 30's in Portland. $10 buys you a full fill of shisha( enough for 4 people for 1.5 hours of smoking), with over 30 different types and combinations (for new hookah smokers, I recommend the Orange and Vanilla. Tastes like a creamsicle). The staff is helpful, knowledgeable, and fun, often taking breaks to puff smoke into bubbles to float over the patrons. Also, the head person has a varied selection of mix CD's, ranging from rock, punk, classical, 60's, and my personal favorite, a mix of 80's cartoon theme songs. Finally the decor is fitting. The walls are covered in hand painted scenes from Alice in Wonderland (Through the looking glass), with quotes from the book, since the place is named after the smoking caterpillar. I went there on my 22nd birthday, and it was one of the best times. Very chill. I've been there a few dozen times (usually after visiting the bars in the old port earlier.... =P), and it is always a good scene.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed The Nine Fine Irishmen inside New York, New York in Vegas. It was a few years ago that I was there and most of that trip is a haze... But it was where I discovered Murphy's Red. Sitting outside on the small upstairs patio over-looking the strip, drinking beers with a couple friends and listening to an Irish cover band was a great night.

DC:
RFD and Brickskeller. Sister bars with an insane amount of beer selection. I think Brickskeller has over 1,000 bottles (although never all in stock) and RFD has something like 30 taps and 300 bottles. Food is terrible at brickskeller and tries to be good at RFD, but it's nothing above Applebee's.

Baltimore:
Max's Taphouse. Again, ton of selection. Heading up there for the Belgian Beer Fest in two weeks.

In New Orleans:

The Bulldog
3236 Magazine St
New Orleans, LA 70115

50 great beers on tap, plus many more in bottles. Great relaxed atmosphere, and outdoor seating.

Cooter Brown's
509 S Carrollton Ave
New Orleans, LA 70118

Great beer selection (though not quite as good as the Bulldog's), plus great food, including fresh oysters. Very cool decor as well.

This past weekend I went to "Bourbon" in Georgetown, DC. Best selection of bourbons & ryes I've ever seen. They have a full bar, and beer on tap, but one customer near me ordered a house white wine and a couple of folks looked at her funny. Nice.

In Cleveland:

Winking Lizard Tavern, Coventry: Quintessential sports bar with a fantastic selection of >100 beers that changes every year. Much "quainter" and more eclectic than their other locations throughout the city. I dare call myself a "regular" here -- most of the bartenders know me, know my drink preferences, and will make sure the TV is tuned to what I want to watch. As most seasoned bar patrons know, being friendly with the staff and having a bar where "everybody knows your name" is worth every penny.

Velvet Tango Room. MUST be experienced. Classic cocktails are their bread and butter. Very Bogart-esque cocktail lounge. Jackets preferred, good selection of scotches, quiet piano and jazz most evenings. And yes, I've been to the back room. If any of my B&B brethren wish to make the trip to beautiful Cleveland, you can always join me. If the last line of their FAQ doesn't convince you what an ideal cocktail bar this place is, "Will you make "chocolate-tinis"? We will, but we die a little bit every time.....How about "apple-tinis"? Sigh..." you've still got a lot to learn about fine drinkin'. :cool:

This past weekend I went to "Bourbon" in Georgetown, DC. Best selection of bourbons & ryes I've ever seen. They have a full bar, and beer on tap, but one customer near me ordered a house white wine and a couple of folks looked at her funny. Nice.

Yes, yes, I forgot. I've been to the one in Adams Morgan, not Glover Park, but excellent Bourbon selection and a very acceptable selection of bottle beer as well.

Not too many having only been to the US a couple of times but.

McCormick & Schmick's, Dorrance Street, Providence.
Friendly bar staff, good beer, great food.

McFaddens, Providence,
More giant tv's than you can shake a stick at for watching the game and good finger food and waitresses that notice when your glass is about empty!

On another trip I ended up in the British Beer Co, Hyannis, drinking beer brewed a few miles from my home......

Last edited:
On another trip I ended up in the British Beer Co, Hyannis, drinking beer brewed a few miles from my home......
Tetley's?

McCormick and Schmick's is actually a national chain of seafood restaurants. That being said it's still pretty good and I was impressed with it's bar but haven't actually sat at it.

Tetley's? .

yep...just to check. There's a saying here that it doesn't travel, not even the few miles from Leeds but it was OK! Then I started on the local beers, Sam Adams, Oktoberfest was good.

McCormick and Schmick's is actually a national chain of seafood restaurants. That being said it's still pretty good and I was impressed with it's bar but haven't actually sat at it.
I see, I was in the Biltmore for a week and it was downstairs, nice and easy and fresh clams, lobster and scallops were great!

Last edited:
Best bar? well i guess i'm biased since i help manage a bar.

Goetz's Hideaway Bar
3482 County Road CC
Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235

If you're ever in the area stop on down. we are seasonal, we open in April, Weekends only until Memorial day, then we are open all week long until Labor day.

Be warned, its nothing fancy, you walk in and the first thing you see is a 40 year old bowling/shuffleboard type machine.

Top Bottom