What's new

B&B passion explained

You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

proxy.php

Of course, no one mentions that the red pill leads to serious ADs. Wonderland can be an expensive place to live. :001_cool:

I'd rather live in Wonderland and spend all that money on this fun stuff though as opposed to getting the crap beat out of me and robbed every morning!

Listen, the DE/old school thing is cool. I'm in my late 20's and I wear a mechanical watch, write with a fountain pen, and smoke a pipe, so you're preaching to the choir. I've opened the door and jumped through it, and my first razor, brush, and cream haven't even arrived yet. It's just not a little strange that a bunch of old-school guys and adamant 'non-metrosexuals' are talking about lavender and chamomile with this level of interest. I can't help but chuckle that I'm giddy as a 13 year old girl over a sample pack Trumpers is sending me.

Funny you should say that. I'm 36, use REFILLABLE fountain pens (Lamy's), a REFILLABLE lighter (Zippo), DE razors. I actually have gone back to notebooks from PDA's! I think a lot has to do with the cheapness of all this disposable crap that we have these days!! I have found that I prefer to use better quality tools versus something that might last once.

So everyday you walk over to this door and open it, and everyday as soon as you open that door, someone punches you in the face then kicks you in the nuts, then as you are doubled over in pain, reaches into your pocket and takes out a few bucks.

Interesting analogy...

When many start out with DE (or str8) shaving for that matter however, the first few shaves are often worse (sometimes far worse) until the technique is secured.

As such, I'm sure the first few shaves at least could be likened to going in that new door, being punched in the face hard, having an old 1980s Epilady go after your um..."privates" and then, as you are doubled over a bloody painful crotch...reaches into your pocket and takes out a few bucks...

View attachment 89105

YIKES! :scared:

The question is...why do we go back to that different door a second time?

Editor's Note: after a few bad shaves early on...I've come as close to perfection with my DE as I think I'm going to get...but that first week...whew!

Of all the 60's bands, I find The Doors to be the most annoying. I can't stand Ray Manzarek, both as an organist and as a person. If there ever was an even more obnoxious and egocentric A-hole than Jim Morrison, it would be Manzarek. Robbie Krieger and John Densmore were cool though. A lot of thier songs were pretty good (especially the ones with minimal organ playing), but overall they can't hold a candle to Zep, The Who, The Stones, Cream, MC5, etc. I really hate those old Doors.

:lol:

I found somebody had nailed the door shut... after a few wacks with the hammer it opened and the sunlight poured out.. I'm contracting to get the old door removed... and as everyone here has probably done...enlarging the new room

:lol::lol::lol: Wow, removing the old door?

But I suppose that once you have found bliss, there is no going back...is there?

This opening a door is really quite accurate. A few years ago the woman that cut my hair left the shop I frequented. I tried several stylists but wasn't satisfied with my hair cuts. I heard there was an oriental girl in a nearby town that was pretty good. I took an old picture with me and said this is how I would like to look again. With oriental directness and frankness she said "you very gray now, this old picture." I told her not to worry about that just see what she could do with the hair cut. Not bad for a first effort. I had to work with her to get her to cut the hair above my ears, my hair grows fast and I don't feel neat with it jutting out over my ears. "Whitewalls" are a little old school and she fought it at first, but now she has it. When I come in the shop now she smiles and says, "Whitewalls!" I found I felt better with a better haircut. Then I stopped shaving in the shower. I took it back to the sink and mirror to better see what I was doing. I have a little beard and a mustache. Pretty soon instead of running the trimmer over them once a week I was doing it pretty much every day. Then one day I found my great-grandfathers Gillette in my old footlocker. A light came on in my head and I was looking for blades. Eventually I found this site and the group here. I moved up a few razors and got some real blades. Starting ironing my work shirts again. I started cleaning the basement and I brought my ancient table saw in, the one my great uncle Herbert gave me when he retired, into the basement from under the balcony stairs. A few evenings on it and it is in good shape again too. Now I am turning out woodworking projects like shaving stands instead of watching TV all evening. I am thinking about dropping a few pounds and eating more healthy too. I am also thinking about going back and saying now Merhen, what can you do with all this gray in my hair?

I have a 10 month old grandson and I am looking around for a role model for him. I guess I am it.

open the door,
mrscottishman

Last edited:
I heard there was an oriental girl in a nearby town that was pretty good. I took an old picture with me and said this is how I would like to look again. With oriental directness and frankness she said "you very gray now, this old picture."

I think the preferred term is Asian, on top of which I thought the old stereotype was for inscrutability and docility.

I'm not implying anything about your beliefs and I am happy that you had a good experience. Just wanted to encourage the more modern descriptor (and point out a backhanded stereotype). If you were to point out how your 'negro' barber was 'sassy but wise,' for instance, you'd have a firestorm on your hands.

I think the preferred term is Asian, on top of which I thought the old stereotype was for inscrutability and docility.

I'm not implying anything about your beliefs and I am happy that you had a good experience. Just wanted to encourage the more modern descriptor (and point out a backhanded stereotype). If you were to point out how your 'negro' barber was 'sassy but wise,' for instance, you'd have a firestorm on your hands.

Dear sir,
I am sure I am not politically correct, but I am from another time and I can't keep up with the changing trends that prevail at present in our troubled world. I understand that Oriental refers to something or someone from the Orient. Just as American refers to someone or something from America. My friend is from the Orient and has attention to detail that I find many others from that part of the world share with her and I value. There is no "Negro land" where Negros come from and I have never used the term Negro in conversation. The word Negro is too often slurred into a form of insult that I am not aware exists as a counterpart with the word Oriental. Although Orientals have suffered to an extent in the world from discrimination and I regret that, I find that it is nothing compared to the suffering the Afro-Americans have suffered through the evils of slavery and many of them would find your remark comparing the two more insulting than my reference to a person from the Orient as Oriental. As to Oriental docility, years ago when I was in Kung Fu class I didn't find any docile Orientals there and in skill they were all my superior. The words Orient and Oriental were used in practically every class and we took them as adjectives that described people and techniques as being of value and interest. I cannot imagine my Chinese friends taking offense at the use of the words. Context no doubt plays a part in perception. If someone referred hatefully to me in a loud tone as "that American" I would know it was a slur although in the strictest sense American is not a slur, but a description of origin. By the way, not all Orientals are Asian and some Orientals would take offense at being called Asian, that much I do know.

If I have offended anyone that the term I used would actually apply to, I would like to discuss that directly with them and see the error of my ways. For others to see offense by proxy is offensive to me and should be to the supposed offended party. They are perfectly able to stand up for themselves. (and in my experience knock you down)

I would also like to add that I am a Christian. The word Christian oddly enough is now being used at times as a slur or insult much in the way I mentioned "that American" above. But I am indeed a Christian and I am proud of it and not willing to allow someone to change the word in my mind into an insult. The Orient is a place with a very rich and proud heritage. It would be a shame to allow anyone to diminish that in any way by making the very word insulting.

best,
mrscottishman

Last edited:
Dear sir,
I am sure I am not politically correct, but I am from another time and I can't keep up with the changing trends that prevail at present in our troubled world. I understand that Oriental refers to something or someone from the Orient. Just as American refers to someone or something from America. My friend is from the Orient and has attention to detail that I find many others from that part of the world share with her and I value. There is no "Negro land" where Negros come from and I have never used the term Negro in conversation. The word Negro is too often slurred into a form of insult that I am not aware exists as a counterpart with the word Oriental. Although Orientals have suffered to an extent in the world from discrimination and I regret that, I find that it is nothing compared to the suffering the Afro-Americans have suffered through the evils of slavery and many of them would find your remark comparing the two more insulting than my reference to a person from the Orient as Oriental. As to Oriental docility, years ago when I was in Kung Fu class I didn't find any docile Orientals there and in skill they were all my superior. The words Orient and Oriental were used in practically every class and we took them as adjectives that described people and techniques as being of value and interest. I cannot imagine my Chinese friends taking offense at the use of the words. Context no doubt plays a part in perception. If someone referred hatefully to me in a loud tone as "that American" I would know it was a slur although in the strictest sense American is not a slur, but a description of origin. By the way, not all Orientals are Asian and some Orientals would take offense at being called Asian, that much I do know.

If I have offended anyone that the term I used would actually apply to, I would like to discuss that directly with them and see the error of my ways. For others to see offense by proxy is offensive to me and should be to the supposed offended party. They are perfectly able to stand up for themselves. (and in my experience knock you down)

I would also like to add that I am a Christian. The word Christian oddly enough is now being used at times as a slur or insult much in the way I mentioned "that American" above. But I am indeed a Christian and I am proud of it and not willing to allow someone to change the word in my mind into an insult. The Orient is a place with a very rich and proud heritage. It would be a shame to allow anyone to diminish that in any way by making the very word insulting.

best,
mrscottishman

Well said, Sir!

The easy rule of thumb is to remember that objects are Oriental, that is "from the Orient"...vases, rugs, etc. whereas people are "Asian". But...that said, SOME people take this oversensitivity issue too far sometimes.

I heard a really funny conversation one time...these two guys were talking, one of them was white, one black (they obviously knew each other). It went like this:

"...blahblahblah, well, you're a Jew, so you know how it is."
(bristles) "No, I'm JEWISH..."
"Oh, sorry. Well, as you can see, I'm Blackish"
"No sir, you are definitely 100% BLACK"
(laughs all around)

The easy rule of thumb is to remember that objects are Oriental, that is "from the Orient"...vases, rugs, etc. whereas people are "Asian".

GoldenMonkey I usually agree with your posts and always enjoy them, but in this case there are people that are from the island countries that are indeed Oriental and have an Oriental heritage, but resent being called Asian. They are not native to Asia. Asia is a continent and one of its boundaries is the Pacific Ocean. The word Orient means either East or Far east and that is used in referring to these area as well. In fact the word Oriental is not so offensive in the world view, after all, the official name of Uruguay is the Oriental Republic of Uruguay, of course Oriental in the name meaning East. The American Heritage Book of English Usage notes: :that the word Oriental is antiquated but not necessarily offensive and it is worth remembering, though, that Oriental is not an ethnic slur to be avoided in all situations." Some of my friends are very sensitive to being called Asian. You have the Hong Kong issue, the Taiwan issue and so on and they don't identify with the Asian population or Asian positions. I think substituting Asian for Oriental is something people sitting in recliners in America came up with and is too often used in reference to the sex trade as a degrading way of lumping women all together.

Oddly enough I have heard people object to being called Asian, but I have never personally heard anyone object to being called Oriental.

I suppose living in Tennessee I would understand the difference in calling someone a Yankee and an American. People in another country might not know the difference. The same with calling someone Asian and not Oriental or by their country of origin. You could call me a Kentuckian since I was born in Kentucky, but if I were visiting you in France you might not know all the individual states or even in which one I was born and just call me an American or a even a North American.

best,
mrscottishman

Dear sir,
I am sure I am not politically correct, but I am from another time and I can't keep up with the changing trends that prevail at present in our troubled world. <snip> . . .

. . . <snip> If I have offended anyone that the term I used would actually apply to, I would like to discuss that directly with them and see the error of my ways. For others to see offense by proxy is offensive to me and should be to the supposed offended party. They are perfectly able to stand up for themselves. (and in my experience knock you down)

best,
mrscottishman

Thank you, sir, for standing up and so eloquently objecting to that well-intended (I hope) but way too common outpouring of "PC" drivel.

Somehow, our society believes that in an effort to "protect" those that may not even need (or want) protection, it is acceptable to publicly berate anyone who (in their opinion) does not meet their defined standards of political correctness.

The proper and correct forum for such correction (if needed) is the PRIVATE CONVERSATION and not the "public whipping." If someone feels strongly that you have said something out of line, then let them speak with you privately about it!!

There . . . now that I've gotten that off my chest . . . :cursing:

PC is a plastic and hollow facade that some people use to lighten their own perceived guilt about things they had no part in or responsibility for. As for me, I call a spade a spade, unless the spade specifically asks me to call him a shovel.

I, too, am not ashamed of my Christian beliefs . . . sadly, many have become so as a result of Christianity's lack of PC acceptance.

GoldenMonkey I usually agree with your posts and always enjoy them, but in this case there are people that are from the island countries that are indeed Oriental and have an Oriental heritage, but resent being called Asian. They are not native to Asia. Asia is a continent and one of its boundaries is the Pacific Ocean. The word Orient means either East or Far east and that is used in referring to these area as well. In fact the word Oriental is not so offensive in the world view, after all, the official name of Uruguay is the Oriental Republic of Uruguay, of course Oriental in the name meaning East. The American Heritage Book of English Usage notes: :that the word Oriental is antiquated but not necessarily offensive and it is worth remembering, though, that Oriental is not an ethnic slur to be avoided in all situations." Some of my friends are very sensitive to being called Asian. You have the Hong Kong issue, the Taiwan issue and so on and they don't identify with the Asian population or Asian positions. I think substituting Asian for Oriental is something people sitting in recliners in America came up with and is too often used in reference to the sex trade as a degrading way of lumping women all together.

Oddly enough I have heard people object to being called Asian, but I have never personally heard anyone object to being called Oriental.

I suppose living in Tennessee I would understand the difference in calling someone a Yankee and an American. People in another country might not know the difference. The same with calling someone Asian and not Oriental or by their country of origin. You could call me a Kentuckian since I was born in Kentucky, but if I were visiting you in France you might not know all the individual states or even in which one I was born and just call me an American or a even a North American.

best,
mrscottishman

Some good points...I wasn't trying to chastise you in any way. Pacific Islanders are not what I would consider "Asian" anyway (and I even extend this to the Philippines). I consider "Asian" to be from the continent of Asia, or Japanese (although I'd hardly consider the Japanese, Koreans, Chinese, Thais, Laos, etcto be "the same" in any way...). "Oriental" to me means simply "eastern", as you pointed out, just like "occidental" is "western"...I simply meant that these terms are more aptly applied to either object or direction. I try to call a spade a spade...if someone is Chinese, then they are Chinese...if they are from Ghana they are Ghanaian (not "black" not "African", unless you're speaking in the larger sense). I always try to be as specific as I can...and if I don't know, I'll ask.

It's funny, because I can easily tell the difference between an Australian, New Zealand, South African, England-English, Scottish, Irish, etc. accent, but many Americans can't. I can easily differentiate between a Lancastrian, a Londoner, a Liverpudlian, a Mancunian, etc. accent...if I meet someone who is obviously "English", and I ask "where are you from?" I mean "what city"...but I always get "England". If I say "yes, I know, but what city?" they are often taken aback that an American is even aware of the difference, lol.

Last edited:
GoldenMonkey,
"I wasn't trying to chastise you in any way."

I didn't take it that way, we are good!

Thanks to all for the understanding posts!

best,
mrscottishman

For your consideration: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient

I think that the use of the word should be taken in the spirit it's meant. MrScottishman does not strike me as one intent on bringing offense to any cultural group. Rather I find him to be a thoughtful and considerate gentleman.
I for one have given up on the PC mindset.... Not that I go around trying to offend anyone, but I think that it's become a little overwrought, and I've just quit worrying about it. Racial epithets aside, sexual/racial/age/streoetypical descriptors are often usefull in conveying nuances of meaning in conversation. It's usually pretty easy to determine when these are being used in a derogatory manner, which a gentleman wouldn't do.

For your consideration: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient

I think that the use of the word should be taken in the spirit it's meant. MrScottishman does not strike me as one intent on bringing offense to any cultural group. Rather I find him to be a thoughtful and considerate gentleman.
I for one have given up on the PC mindset.... Not that I go around trying to offend anyone, but I think that it's become a little overwrought, and I've just quit worrying about it. Racial epithets aside, sexual/racial/age/streoetypical descriptors are often usefull in conveying nuances of meaning in conversation. It's usually pretty easy to determine when these are being used in a derogatory manner, which a gentleman wouldn't do.

Quite right, on all points!

What you miss here is that this particular passion is not widely known to men!!

Its not football, or cars, or fishing or whatever...

What is exiting is the fact that we are a kind of an elite, a secret fraternity. Simply put a banch of the best:thumbup1:

Last edited:
I for one am glad to call myself a member of this age/sex/stereotypical (fill in your epithet) cultural group!
Go ahead:call me a wetshaver!

Top Bottom