What's new

Axes & Amps

I'm a part time guitarist, more of a keyboard player. In a past life I was a tech, and I've worked on hundreds of Marshalls and old Fenders and others. I was a Groove Tube rep for a while, but later on I found a supplier of unlabeled tubes out of Russia, and I would match them up and put them into sets. As far as guitars go, I've had a few Squiers [made in Japan, and Mexico], and a really nice Godin Tele that I wish I still had.

Over the years I've had LOTS of keyboards too, I had a big clean out of most of the digital stuff when I went overseas. Here is what's left...

I am a bass player mainly, using a Squier Fretless Jaco-copy lately.
But this is my prize piece - it was cheap and had a maple neck and was near mint 26 years on.....and then there is the color:tongue:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Oh and my dad worked for Crate/Ampeg/SLM before they sold out to Loud Technologies. Here are some of the 'test amps'. That red combo is a Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top) only 40 in the world and the head was made 1-off from the same plans. Billy Has 38, One of the guys from Jethro Tull has 1 and somehow.....:rolleyes:....dad made it out with one.

proxy.php

What a great thread! I too am an aspiring guitar player and just picked up my first acoustic last week...early Christmas present from my wife. :tongue_sm

My first guitar and amp combo was a red and black Westone Stratocaster replica with a small Peavey amp. I don't have pictures nor do I still have the guitar. A long time ago (10+ years) I borrowed it to a friend in exchange for a VHS copy of Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Needless to say, we lost touch and never made the switch back. I'm still trying to figure out who got the better end of the deal. :huh:

My second guitar was an Epiphone Les Paul. Black with almond pick guard. Gorgeous guitar, which I regrettably sold to buy a dirt bike that I ended up blowing up in a matter of months. I'm sure some of you may remember my tale of the 1988 Kawasaki KX80 and how it met its untimely demise on a lonely dirt road, wide open, in 6th gear... I miss both terribly.

My third guitar, which, thank God, I didn't sell or trade away, is a 1962 Fender Jaguar re-issue. I was excited to that gorgeous sunburst Jag earlier in the thread. I love this guitar.

Fourth in my guitar chronology, is a 1958 re-issue Korina wood Explorer. Please note that it is an Epiphone model and not a Gibson. I was and am a man of limited funds. :lol: This and the Jaguar were and are the jewels of my collection.

Just a few days ago, my wife bought me a new Mitchell D-something or other Dreadnought. My first acoustic and, I'll tell you what, I am loving it! Beautiful tone and playability.

My Peavey amp met a demise similar to the dirt bike since nobody ever told me that a small practice amp was no match for a drum kit in the volume department...:blink: To remedy this, she also bought me the little Fender amp you see below.

Rock on, gents.

Last edited:
As a preface, my 'family business' is a handful of pawnshops, so nearly all of our instruments were acquired in that fashion. Without such an avenue for acquisition I would not have been fortunate to come across many of these beautiful guitars. Some are mine, some are my father's... just depending on who wrote up the deal when the guitar arrived, and who was there when it became available for sale. :001_rolle That said:

This (poor quality... sorry!) picture is several years old, most of the Fenders are gone, as well as the V in the back, the Beast, the Gretsch, Hamer, etc. In their place have come additional Les Paul, PRS, and Martin gutars, unfortunately they are in storage as my parents have moved into a new house that does not feature a slatwall... yet. I wish I hadn't sold the Gretsch. :[

Additionally, I've included a picture of a years-gone Kimabll Superstar organ. Bought it at a church yard sale for $20.00 and spent an hour and a half calling friends trying to find someone with a suitable vehicle to bring it home. Priced as such because half of the keys didn't work, and after a few days tinkering she played beautifully for years until a power surge finally put her down for good.

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Well, I can't post pictures, since my baby is all the way back in Brazil, while I'm in Portugal. Can't wait to see her again.

I have a Squier California Series, in Natural finish. It's not much, but we had some good times. I'm hoping to be able to buy a new one before I return, since guitars here in Europe (and in the US I guess is the same) are so much cheaper than in Brazil. I'm thinking about buying an Epiphone ES-335 Dot, probably in cherry.

Cheers,
Stefano

This is a sweet topic. So I'm gonna bump it. Heres 3 of my electrics (Gibson SG '61 re-issue, Custom gold Gibson SG with tremolo and EMG's, and Gibson Les Paul standard heritage cherryburst) and the Van Halen signature full stack. The micro stack Marshall is a Zakk Wylde signature. I'll have to get some more pics of my other guitars. The acoustics in the pics are my Martin collection.

View attachment 326703View attachment 326704

Top Bottom