What's new

Axe . . . Vetyver?? Say It Ain't So!

Wow, a lot of Axe (Lynx) bashing here...

To be fair it's the same as bashing canned shaving foam

Until you discovered better products - that's all you knew (generally speaking of course)

I used to use Lynx until recently - call it brand image/marketing and add a touch of ignorance - but at that stage I personally thought Lynx was the BEST!!

I still think some of their deo's smell OK

It was only until I received a free sample of Nivea Aqua Cool that I actually started questioning Lynx products

Also you have to consider Lynx is pretty darn cheap too - especially when you consider all the "3 for 2" offers out there etc...

I kinda feel bad now because I currently use axe (lynx in UK) mainly because its about the only thing Asda seem to stock (or atleast the shelves of Lynx seem to swallow up any of the other deodorant sprays stocked). :frown: Is Brut any good? What good deodorant sprays do you all recommend? Ive never heard of Vetyver :tongue_sm

Try Nivea Aqua Cool - I'm sure that's available at ASDA

wearing Axe is like axing yourself from the ladies ... not recommended gents.

Have to disagree!! Even though I no longer use Lynx (Axe) - from my experience women LOVE this stuff - and attractive women too!!

I personally think the fragrance is too common

But still works with the women...

Have to disagree!! Even though I no longer use Lynx (Axe) - from my experience women LOVE this stuff - and attractive women too!!

I personally think the fragrance is too common

But still works with the women...

I agree.

Change the packaging to something luxurious, and people will think it's a great fragrance

HAve you people actually smelled the Proximity line of Axe? VEtyver, Amber and Bergamot. I have to say this is the best thing Axe has created (except for a couple of funny commercials)

I actually picked up a can of Axe Bergamot last night, to keep at work for after my lunch-time walks, in case I need a freshening up.

It actually smells nice. Not a lot like Bergamot, but a nice light scent.

I am totally amazed... this last post netted me a custom title!

I love you guys.

I used the Bergamot spray this morning after my morning Iaido class (5:30 AM class, so I shower the night before, and the class isn't too strenuous). Worked a treat.

Both of my boys, 16 years old (who used to use Axe) and 14 years old (who just started using fragrances), are using Old Spice original - the 16 year old has taken to even using the cologne instead of the spray. Now I'm working to get them to tone down the amount. An uphill battle, but youth gives way to (hopefully good) experience . . .

I was a 6th grade teacher for 5 years. At that age, they all seem to switch from being little boys to young men. The problem is that no one seemed to tell them how to handle the chemical changes.

After gym class, they would all come in reeking of whatever drug store crap they could find. There was a lot of Axe, but also some other knock-off type of fragrance that they all thought was cool. As mentioned by someone before, the problem was not the smell of the product itself, but the combination of quantity and BO. Someone needs to sit down and talk with these guys about the need for simple deoderant in the morning. Of course, teachers can't do that or else they get canned for telling someone they stink.

One kid in particular used to essentially bathe in Axe. TO make matters worse, he would never wash his gym clothes. So what we ended up with was months of caked on sweat and axe "dressing." It smelled reminiscent of of death. When we finally figured out what was going on, we made him take the clothes home to wash. The shirt was stiff.

Kids can be gross.

By the way, "Snake Peel" body wash is pretty pleasant. Nice and fruity citrus.

Jonathan

By the way, "Snake Peel" body wash is pretty pleasant. Nice and fruity citrus.

Jonathan

I thought Snake Peel was horrendous (oddly enough my grandfather had a bottle of it and I was showering there) -- smelled ok enough IN the bottle, but after bathing with it and finishing the rest of the routine, I noticed a light BO smell that I had never recognized on myself. Typical sharp underarm bacterial smell...yikes! I looked around and THANKFULLY found a bar of Dr. Bronner's Lavender soap in the medicine cabinet and took another shower. Damndest thing. I also tried the Axe gel wash in the white bottle, whatever the purple kind is with Aloe...fairly innocuous, hardly moisturizing like it claims. All in all, I'll stick with bar soaps.

Regarding the deoderants. The stuff is largely pitiful and I have too many memories of the high school wrestling locker rooms smelling like that. The worst was when sprays would get traded around and there was that one guy that always had to try everyone's at the same time. You couldn't leave your clothes in there without them becoming saturated with the horrible stench. I had to keep my clothes inside three plastic bags to avoid this. I'd shower with dial or something similar then hurry to get changed, use unscented Mitchum, then apply a tiny dab of Davidoff Cool Water (which I still love, though it may be more nostalgic than anything).

I'll look at these "proximity" sprays but I don't really think I'd have a need for them even if they ARE ok enough.

Their deoderant/antiperspirant works remarkably well (I have hyperhidrosis)

The body sprays though, make me want to vomit, and they will nearly instantly give me a migraine.

Folks have negative reactions to Axe products for a couple of reasons.

• The ads seek to offend older demographics in an effort to appeal to younger demographics.
  • The younger demographics have not yet learned restraint in the use of Axe.
My teenage stepdaughter likewise knows no restraint with her cosmetics. She leaves the house looking like a goth Tammy Faye. :eek:

"You never knows what's enough till you've had too much."

Folks have negative reactions to Axe products for a couple of reasons.

• The ads seek to offend older demographics in an effort to appeal to younger demographics.
  • The younger demographics have not yet learned restraint in the use of Axe.
My teenage stepdaughter likewise knows no restraint with her cosmetics. She leaves the house looking like a goth Tammy Faye. :eek:

It is funny this comes up. My soon to be 15 year old daughter HATES axe(small a intentional)with a passion. She is used to my old school stuff and tells me the halls of the high school reek of axe to the point it nauseates her. Educating them one at a time.

Regards, Todd

I love it, Todd!

I have daughters as well (three girls ages 6, 4, 4). They love to watch me shave and they love the scents of the stuff I use...lavender, fern, citrus and the list goes on...I'm training them early to appreciate real fragrance.

~Paul

Top Bottom