What's new

Automatic watches

I get my eyes caught by a couple of automatic watches, both are just different models from the Seiko 5. Anyone what any experience with those? They really can speed up or slow down that easily??
Thanks for the replies in advance!

Last edited:
I have a few, and like them quite a bit. One of mine tends to lose 5 min over a month or so, but in reality, I often switch between watches, allowing the other(s) to stop, so I end up resetting the time fairly often anyway the first time I wear one in a while. You can buy winders, but they are not necessary for me. These are not quite as accurate as a quartz watch, but I prefer them and would (and will) buy another.

Is there any good (good AKA cheap and reliable :001_tt2:) online store?... I don't trust that much on ebay...

It depends on whether or not you want a factory warranty or not. If you want a factory warranty Amazon is probably a good bet to start with, although there are vendors on Amazon who trade in 'gray' market Seikos (typically without warranty cards) that will give you a private warranty rather than the factory warranty. They will list such an arrangement in the details section. Other than that, I've used Jomashop (who also sells on Amazon, by the way) and WatchTime, as well as others, and they will sell Seikos with and without factory warranty cards (depends on where they were sourced). Watches with factory warranties are items that have been imported into the U.S. by the manufacturer; non-U.S. market watches generally aren't eligible for a factory warranty (not imported by the factory but by a third party). This is probably a big deal with a Rolex or Omega etc., but not with a Seiko 5. These are rugged, down-to-earth workhorse autos that are simple, reasonably well made, and usually quite affordable. They are my favorite daily automatic, almost an upscale beater (I don't care if I mash it against the car in the wintertime, for instance). An alternative that many like from the basic Seiko line would be Orient - they make a nice entry-level divers watch. Do a web search and spend some time - the watch business on the internet is a big deal. Some of the most interesting Seiko 5's are intended only for the asian market, and a japanese Seiko 5 is more expensive but has a certain cachet with watch folks. I'd be careful of eBay, too, since many eBay sellers won't be able to offer you much of a warranty unless you want to send it back to (China? Thailand?) wherever and wait for eons in the hope of getting it back. Of course, the devil is in the details, and YMMV.

I have one Seiko 5 and been very happy with it. As to where to get them, there are several reliable online shops, I have bought from Island Watch in the USA and Creation Watches in Singapore (& USA?). Excellent experiences from both.

you also can try pawn shops or other second hand stores. I have bought very high end jewelry that way. Many will sell reasonably priced and with the whole package if sold to them with the package.

I get my eyes caught by a couple of automatic watches, both are just different models from the Seiko 5. Anyone what any experience with those? They really can speed up or slow down that easily??
Thanks for the replies in advance!

I picked up two different ones on the 'bay. Buying there wasn't too big a deal to me. For one, they're Seiko watches; not to say they don't fake them, but there just isn't a lot of cash to be had doing it, so fakes are few and far between. Regardless, I searched watch forums and found a couple 'bay sellers who were selling what unanimous consensus found to be legit pieces.

One was the Seiko 5 with green nylon strap, which conjures images of a military type piece.

As found here: http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNK805K...AY1U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323283624&sr=8-1

I gave it as a gift going on 3 years ago, and it still looks and functions great.

The other I purchased for myself; its a Asian market dive watch with Pepsi bezel. Not that I'm saying the quality control in their other factories is sub-par, but this one is pretty rare, in that its a Japanese movement actually cased in Japan.

As found here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370548611987#ht_3011wt_1185

Concerning timing differences: they're automatic pieces. By their very nature -a machine beating away to move the second, minute, hour hand- they are not able to be as accurate as an atomic clock or quartz movements. That said, both pieces I purchased keep great time; they generally run ~ 10 seconds fast, per day. That is excellent.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about accuracy. I have an Orient that runs a little fast, but I am not a stickler. About every three weeks I need to push it back a couple minutes. Not a biggie. The seiko 5 has a great reputation. I would try direct from Amazon (not one of their marketplace sellers) if you want to be assured of having the warranty.

Legion

Staff member
My Seiko came off ebay and it was fine. The seller had a good rep on the watch forums, and lots of sales+ positive feedback. It is a grey import I'm guessing, so I probably don't have much of a warranty, but it is a made in Japan model which is not easily available, and I got it for a good price, so you take your chances. So far no issues at all.

Thanks for all the replies!!
I've been looking around and visiting some other forums and I think this is a good starting point.
Maybe I'd change the bandwidth for some leather... not 100% sure of that yet... any one try or knew someone that own one of those seiko?

Last edited:
I have a number of Seikos, old and new. The movements are pretty bulletproof; in my experience they often run a bit fast when new but settle down with age. Seiko 5s are great value; I also like the Seiko divers a lot.

Spend a little time on the Seiko/Citizen forum (http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php) and you can learn more about these watches than you ever wanted to know. With a little research or a couple posts you can also find out who the best vendors are.

The 5 you linked to is a bit of a classic. I'd definitely get it in black or white though. It'll be a lot smaller than you're probably expecting- 38mm and slim. It'lll wear light and comfortable. I'd put a good NATO strap on it and you're good to go. Quick word. While many, if not quite all S5 owners see accuracy of less than +/-15s/day (some low single figures), you are not guarranteed it. The specs on the manual were +/- 30s/day on mine and if it returns +29.5s you can't complain to Seiko. You can however, get it regulated, which any competent watchrepairer will be able to do and should expect <10s/day deviance once this has been done. Don't forget that the 7s26 does not hack. It's an ingenious solution to the affordable automatic problem, but just be aware of what you're buying. Orient is my preference, but the same qualifications apply.

I have had a Seiko 5 for over 15 years and it is one of my favorite watches. Find a good jeweler with a good watchmaker, have it serviced regularly and you will be very happy.

Legion

Staff member
The 5 you linked to is a bit of a classic. I'd definitely get it in black or white though. It'll be a lot smaller than you're probably expecting- 38mm and slim. It'lll wear light and comfortable. I'd put a good NATO strap on it and you're good to go. Quick word. While many, if not quite all S5 owners see accuracy of less than +/-15s/day (some low single figures), you are not guarranteed it. The specs on the manual were +/- 30s/day on mine and if it returns +29.5s you can't complain to Seiko. You can however, get it regulated, which any competent watchrepairer will be able to do and should expect <10s/day deviance once this has been done. Don't forget that the 7s26 does not hack. It's an ingenious solution to the affordable automatic problem, but just be aware of what you're buying. Orient is my preference, but the same qualifications apply.

My seiko divers is around +10s a day, same movement. That is fine for my beater watch. I thought the lack of hacking would be an issue, my other watches have it, but to be honest it doesn't bother me. Half the time I am setting it against my computer or phone anyway, and they don't have a second counter. If my watch is in by a margin of a minute my OCD can handle it.

Oh, if you take it off at night I found mine is more accurate if I leave it face up.

My seiko divers is around +10s a day, same movement. That is fine for my beater watch. I thought the lack of hacking would be an issue, my other watches have it, but to be honest it doesn't bother me. Half the time I am setting it against my computer or phone anyway, and they don't have a second counter. If my watch is in by a margin of a minute my OCD can handle it.

Oh, if you take it off at night I found mine is more accurate if I leave it face up.

As long as i don't loose/gain 5 minutes a day I'll be fine... I try to move on my own rhythm since I'm wet shaving...

Top Bottom