What's new

Australian Shave Creams - We are Blessed Down Under

It's not really surprising when you consider roughly half the population is Male and eventually most will shave plus a good percentage of women shave some part of their body too. It's a pretty big market.

I guess that with the internet they can develop a viable niche market, whereas they'd be drowned out if they just relied on trying to get their product into supermarkets and chemists. Curiously though, I haven't seen them advertise much on Ebay.
Regards,
Renato

I'm glad to see some love for the Australian products. For me, though, the greatest blessing down under is the internet, which enables purchase and delivery of all sorts of goodies.

I'm glad to see some love for the Australian products. For me, though, the greatest blessing down under is the internet, which enables purchase and delivery of all sorts of goodies.

Agreed.
If I didn't have the internet I would never have bought so many foreign goodies, and I would never have felt confident enough to praise the Australian made stuff the way I have, had I not been able to make comparisons.

As my current "Brushless/Latherless Creams Don't Get much of a Run Around Here, because...." thread has shown, we seem to be doubly blessed in Australia, in having manufacturers who can make extremely good brushless creams, as opposed to American manufacturers who have made so many duds that people are avoiding that category of creams in droves.
Regards,
Renato

Up in Queensland we use a warm can of XXXX beer to lather up our faces.

The frothy head from pouring a warm XXXX beer into my shaving bowl gives me fantastic froth for a beaut lather.

It's just how we do it in Queensland ;)

proxy.php
+
proxy.php

Up in Queensland we use a warm can of XXXX beer to lather up our faces.

The frothy head from pouring a warm XXXX beer into my shaving bowl gives me fantastic froth for a beaut lather.

It's just how we do it in Queensland ;)
I'd prefer Victoria Bitter for its astringent properties.
Cheers,
Renato

I used a Triumph and Disaster (Kiwi, but hey, neighbours) shave cream the other morning - absolutely awesome. Smooth lather (easily over-hydrates, however), great feel on the face, light scent which lingers but not too long of citrus and something like lanolin but that's not really an accurate description. Great stuff, I'd recommend it!

I used a Triumph and Disaster (Kiwi, but hey, neighbours) shave cream the other morning - absolutely awesome. Smooth lather (easily over-hydrates, however), great feel on the face, light scent which lingers but not too long of citrus and something like lanolin but that's not really an accurate description. Great stuff, I'd recommend it!

I haven't seen nor heard of these two - which store did you locate them in?
Regards,
Renato

I wish we could get that stuff in the USA!

Yes, it's a shame. If these items did show up on Ebay, our postage rates are pretty horrendous, plus there is now an extra $9 charge on bigger parcels to comply with USA security regulations.
Regards,
Renato

Hi guys,

Picked up a tub of the Dirty Shaving Cream from LUSH last weekend and have been using it this week.

http://www.lush.com.au/shop/product/product/path/224_168/id/1204/face-shaving-creams-dirty-shaving-cream

It's pretty good. Really pleasant smell and allows a good shave. It's not a latherer though, just get a good dollop and apply with fingers, just need to re-moisten your face for second pass.

It's lavender and sandalwood scent and a good moisturiser too. It has a pleasant lingering smell. $9.95 for 100g.

mike

Hi guys,

Picked up a tub of the Dirty Shaving Cream from LUSH last weekend and have been using it this week.

http://www.lush.com.au/shop/product/product/path/224_168/id/1204/face-shaving-creams-dirty-shaving-cream

It's pretty good. Really pleasant smell and allows a good shave. It's not a latherer though, just get a good dollop and apply with fingers, just need to re-moisten your face for second pass.

It's lavender and sandalwood scent and a good moisturiser too. It has a pleasant lingering smell. $9.95 for 100g.

mike

Thanks Mike,
I'll try grab some next time I go to into Melbourne in two month's time.
Funny how we have so many brushless ones being sold down here.

Also, I was in Chemist Warehouse yesterday, and the Natio Cream and Gel were both discounted to six dollars and some cents per tube, a significant discount to their normal $9.95 per tube. This makes them extreme bargains.
Cheers,
Renato

Fauldings is one of the best smelling creams I have tried,but the worst for lather.I think it is better suited as a brushless rub-on cream.Australian Plmolive sticks are great,and I tried Windsor shave cream and aftershave this morning,however,mine came from the Czech Republic.If possible,can you post photos of the Comoy and Windsor pucks ? Haven't seen those before.

I have been using this for years and being hard to lather is one problem I have never had with it.

Guys...Jump on the Wahl traditional barbers shave cream
It comes in a tub and it's by far THE BEST that I've ever used.

You can get it from "The shave shop" and will set you back about $10
Made in Acacia Ridge up here in QLD and I simply can't fault this stuff, smells great and works a treat.

This is the stuff
http://supasaveshop.com.au/index.ph...ucts_id=2556&zenid=iep6pc9g7ftp0bi5ms5ojk53i0

+1 Now you talking!!! An amazing cream, easy to lather, simple barbershop smell, incredibly slick and a tub that lasts forever. I love the stuff.

I have been using this for years and being hard to lather is one problem I have never had with it.

I haven't used the Fauldings for a while. I must revisit it.

Since I first started this thread, of the Australian creams, I've probably used the Natio and David Jones creams the most.
Regards,
Renato

Last edited:

I tried my tube of Fauldings today, and it really didn't lather much at all - I applied it to my face and used a badger brush and water. I got several nicks with it as well. I'd rate it at the lowest end of the pack of the Australian creams, though I am aware that it has its fans, both here and at Basenotes.
Regards,
Renato

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I tried my tube of Fauldings today, and it really didn't lather much at all - I applied it to my face and used a badger brush and water. I got several nicks with it as well. I'd rate it at the lowest end of the pack of the Australian creams, though I am aware that it has its fans, both here and at Basenotes.
Regards,
Renato

Fauldings doesn't need much water but a lot of product to work well.

Guys...Jump on the Wahl traditional barbers shave cream
It comes in a tub and it's by far THE BEST that I've ever used.

You can get it from "The shave shop" and will set you back about $10
Made in Acacia Ridge up here in QLD and I simply can't fault this stuff, smells great and works a treat.

This is the stuff
http://supasaveshop.com.au/index.ph...ucts_id=2556&zenid=iep6pc9g7ftp0bi5ms5ojk53i0

Seems I have to try this one at the price and availability. Hows does it compare to TOBS?

Top Bottom