What's new

Australian Shave Creams - We are Blessed Down Under

Fauldings doesn't need much water but a lot of product to work well.

Thanks, but I was very liberal with the amount of Fauldings I used - I used about twice as much as I would have, had I used Trumper's shave cream.

I just don't seem to have much luck with the Fauldings. The Palmolive cream which is often sold next to it at the same price is somewhat better. Both are heaps better on me than say Arko Regular. But in the last six months I've used the Natio and David Jones shave creams a lot more, because they are much better. Though I recently tried the Natio foam-pump shave foam, which I thought was a bit of a dud.
Cheers,
Renato

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks, but I was very liberal with the amount of Fauldings I used - I used about twice as much as I would have, had I used Trumper's shave cream.

I just don't seem to have much luck with the Fauldings. The Palmolive cream which is often sold next to it at the same price is somewhat better. Both are heaps better on me than say Arko Regular. But in the last six months I've used the Natio and David Jones shave creams a lot more, because they are much better. Though I recently tried the Natio foam-pump shave foam, which I thought was a bit of a dud.
Cheers,
Renato

I never had issues with the water in Melbourne but you could always try bottled or filtered water.

I never had issues with the water in Melbourne but you could always try bottled or filtered water.

When there is such divergence in experience, I suspect the problem lies with manufacturing variation o fthe cream (e.g. sourced some ingredients from a different supplier) to account for the issue.
Cheers,
Renato

My next posting could be in Sydney, so I hope I'll get to try these out in the near future.

I think you'll have lots of fun doing so.
I'm a bit puzzled as to why - with Natio Shave Cream sold in nearly every pharmacy I walk into down here - I seem to be the only one on this forum who has ever used it.
Regards,
Renato

Seems I have to try this one at the price and availability. Hows does it compare to TOBS?

Great question. I can very confidently tell you that it's on par or better than the TOBS in every way. It's amazing stuff, readily available and value for money.

Great question. I can very confidently tell you that it's on par or better than the TOBS in every way. It's amazing stuff, readily available and value for money.

Went to the Shaver Shop today and they did not have any in stock. I picked up another tub of TOBS Almond & Lavender at $20 each instead.

I just thought I'd put my 2c in...

Regarding the OP's post that they found Natio's Gel and Cream to be the same, I have found the exact opposite.

I find the Natio Gel to have one of the best glides of any gel/cream (of course no lather). It is quite thick and cushioning and nice and slippery for your razor.

The Natio Cream I found didn't have much glide, it is thin on the face and seemed to clog the razor more easily. There is also no lather. with this one.

I'll have to try the Wahl next...

Also what is TOBS?

I just thought I'd put my 2c in...

Regarding the OP's post that they found Natio's Gel and Cream to be the same, I have found the exact opposite.

I find the Natio Gel to have one of the best glides of any gel/cream (of course no lather). It is quite thick and cushioning and nice and slippery for your razor.

The Natio Cream I found didn't have much glide, it is thin on the face and seemed to clog the razor more easily. There is also no lather. with this one.

I'll have to try the Wahl next...

Also what is TOBS?

Taylor of Old Bond Street

Fauldings is one of the best smelling creams I have tried,but the worst for lather.I think it is better suited as a brushless rub-on cream.Australian Plmolive sticks are great,and I tried Windsor shave cream and aftershave this morning,however,mine came from the Czech Republic.If possible,can you post photos of the Comoy and Windsor pucks ? Haven't seen those before.
I know this is an old thread but after experimenting with fauldings shaving cream I feel qualified to comment. This cream is not suitable for face lathering, you will get a thin watery disaster, however it will give a good result if lathered in a bowl. Plenty of lather and I can't complain about the shave.

Seeing as this has been bumped - who’s out there in terms of Aussie soap makers?

‘Australian Private Reserve’ is out there, and I’ve come across ‘Whispers in the woods’. Wolfpack shaving is gone.

Looking to try some local soaps next up just not sure what to try...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
There is nothing wrong with good old Faulding, I have used it on and off for years and never had a problem with the lather. Glad to know that there is still some soap makers out here that we can look up and try.

My dad has used Fauldings for years and still does. He doesn’t use a brush or bowl though. I’ve used it and remember when it came in a metallic tube as opposed to the plastic one it comes in today. The smell is so rich and lingers that you almost don’t need a cologne.

Bumping the thread as a 10 year update to the original post:
-Faulding is still on shelves and still as cheap. The formulation has changed slightly (I haven't tried the current formulation, I stocked up in 2017-18)

-Palmolive cream is still available, not at the big two supermarkets but at independent grocers and pharmacies. It is now made in Italy and in my opinion is better than the Australian cream. It's in my top three creams with Proraso Blue and Green (I know it's not a cream but the stick was discontinued years ago as well)

-Trishave brushless cream is still available, same price and formulation. I haven't used my tube in a while but I remember the only issue being not seeing where I had shaved. I'll revisit it some time.

-Windsor and Comoy soaps and creams seem to have dropped off the face of the earth.

-Oriental is still available, I visited Turnley's a few months ago and they still have it. Turnley's is under new management (Beautopia) at a new location so I don't know if the formulation has changed (the jar I saw at their old location had no ingredient list). I have not tried it but I will buy some after the 2024 sabbatical is over. (The oriental shave cream is one of the only products they still make themselves, they've stopped making their aftershaves, brilliantine, california poppy oil, Sporting club hair dressing etc. The lady at the shop said it's still popular.)

-Wahl traditional barbers cream is still available, at both the shaver shop and hairdressers supply stores. I haven't tried it, but again it's on my list.

-Natio still makes their gel but not the cream (probably due to being so similar)

Products not previously mentioned are;

-Sukin makes a brushless gel in a pump bottle. I've got some, haven't tried yet.

-Face Guard shave cream is a brushless cream exclusive to the Shaver shop (It's in the same product line as their Face Guard shave oils and Clipper Guard clipper spray). It seems to have been on the market for a while. I have not tried it but the ingredient list looks pretty natural with lots of essential oils.

-Fast shave gel. It's been around for years, you can get it at Coles. It's probably designed for cartridge or disposable shaving, very thin but slick gel. Mostly water and Sodium Laurel Sulphate, has dimethicone. I tried it back in 2016 and got a bad batch that was very runny. They sent a replacement that was thicker but again it probably wasn't designed for DE shaving.
They also sent a tube each of their sorbolene-based brushless and a anti-bacterial shave cream (my tube was ostensibly lathering, but the ingredient list currently on their website has removed the Potassium hydroxide, turning it into a stearic acid and glycerine based brushless) that is only available from their website. It tried each once and the brushless was probably no better than just using sorbolene cream and the lathering cream was no better than Fauldings.

-Faulding is still on shelves and still as cheap. The formulation has changed slightly (I haven't tried the current formulation, I stocked up in 2017-18)

-Palmolive cream is still available, not at the big two supermarkets but at independent grocers and pharmacies. It is now made in Italy and in my opinion is better than the Australian cream. It's in my top three creams with Proraso Blue and Green (I know it's not a cream but the stick was discontinued years ago as well)

-Trishave brushless cream is still available, same price and formulation. I haven't used my tube in a while but I remember the only issue being not seeing where I had shaved. I'll revisit it some time.

-Windsor and Comoy soaps and creams seem to have dropped off the face of the earth.

-Oriental is still available, I visited Turnley's a few months ago and they still have it. Turnley's is under new management (Beautopia) at a new location so I don't know if the formulation has changed (the jar I saw at their old location had no ingredient list). I have not tried it but I will buy some after the 2024 sabbatical is over. (The oriental shave cream is one of the only products they still make themselves, they've stopped making their aftershaves, brilliantine, california poppy oil, Sporting club hair dressing etc. The lady at the shop said it's still popular.)

-Wahl traditional barbers cream is still available, at both the shaver shop and hairdressers supply stores. I haven't tried it, but again it's on my list.

-Natio still makes their gel but not the cream (probably due to being so similar)

-Sukin makes a brushless gel in a pump bottle. I've got some, haven't tried yet.

-Face Guard shave cream is a brushless cream exclusive to the Shaver shop (It's in the same product line as their Face Guard shave oils and Clipper Guard clipper spray). It seems to have been on the market for a while. I have not tried it but the ingredient list looks pretty natural with lots of essential oils.

-Fast shave gel. It's been around for years, you can get it at Coles. It's probably designed for cartridge or disposable shaving, very thin but slick gel. Mostly water and Sodium Laurel Sulphate, has dimethicone. I tried it back in 2016 and got a bad batch that was very runny. They sent a replacement that was thicker but again it probably wasn't designed for DE shaving.
They also sent a tube each of their sorbolene-based brushless and a anti-bacterial shave cream (my tube was ostensibly lathering, but the ingredient list currently on their website has removed the Potassium hydroxide, turning it into a stearic acid and glycerine based brushless) that is only available from their website. It tried each once and the brushless was probably no better than just using sorbolene cream and the lathering cream was no better than Fauldings.
Thanks for this update !... Does the Fauldings box still say " Fauldings " or just " SHAVE " ...... My tube from at least 10 years ago does not have the Fauldings name and I purchased it right after ownership change . Is TRISHAVE and Oriental available online ?.... The Italian Palmolive is great cream , the Rinfrescante is my favorite . Australia used to make nice Palmolive and Mennen shave sticks many years ago .

Thanks for the update. Oddly I have not seen any of those creams anywhere in Queensland. I might go looking.

I am more of a soap bloke. Squadron, Australian Private Reserve and Blue Devil Shaving Company are all good but no longer being manufactured. Currently into Salt Lake (Queensland), Whispers from the Woods and Stuga (both NSW). All excellent.

Thanks for this update !... Does the Fauldings box still say " Fauldings " or just " SHAVE " ...... My tube from at least 10 years ago does not have the Fauldings name and I purchased it right after ownership change . Is TRISHAVE and Oriental available online ?.... The Italian Palmolive is great cream , the Rinfrescante is my favorite . Australia used to make nice Palmolive and Mennen shave sticks many years ago .
"SHAVE" has not been Fauldings branded for ages as you say, I just call it that here for clarity's sake, as "SHAVE" is so generic a name for a shaving cream, especially on this forum.

Trishave is available from their website, their shipping page indicates they ship internationally. Their Men and Women's creams are the same formulation for the same price (no pinkwashing), the only difference is scent. Men's is tea tree and lavender, Women's is tea tree and rose. They have travel tubes and samples as well.

Oriental shaving cream is available from Beautopia, it's only sold in a 500gm jar and they may not ship internationally or may be costly.

"SHAVE" has not been Fauldings branded for ages as you say, I just call it that here for clarity's sake, as "SHAVE" is so generic a name for a shaving cream, especially on this forum.

Trishave is available from their website, their shipping page indicates they ship internationally. Their Men and Women's creams are the same formulation for the same price (no pinkwashing), the only difference is scent. Men's is tea tree and lavender, Women's is tea tree and rose. They have travel tubes and samples as well.

Oriental shaving cream is available from Beautopia, it's only sold in a 500gm jar and they may not ship internationally or may be costly.
Thanks for the info and updates the Roof Seal !

Top Bottom