What's new

Auction find, Kampfe Bros 7-day kit

I recently purchased a Kampfe Bros 7-day kit at auction (well my parents bid on it for me since I am out of the country at the moment). Before bidding, I did some research and finally bought Wait's Copendium which helped me identify the head as a HR-7A from sometime after 1896. I was also able to figure out that since the stropper has holes it is pre-1904. Overall, the kit looks to be in pretty good condition (again I am out of the country so I have relied on pictures), there are only 6 blades but each of them appears to be stamped. The box looks in reasonable shape but I am told that there is no writing or markings on the outside. The kit is also missing a comb and strop.

I am trying to learn more about this set and would appreciate any thoughts the community could provide. Specifically, I am wondering if anyone knows how long the HR-7A was sold for and whether it is a pretty common model for the Kampfe bros? I am also wondering if anyone knows about the history behind the 7-day kits. Most Kampfe razors I have seen come in tins or smaller kits (often with Kampfe branding), were these larger kits made by Kampfe or were they assembled by retailers? Any history, or references to materials on this era of Kampfe Bros, would be most welcome; I am very excited to learn more about it :001_smile. Also, silly question, what should be in the little canisters? I still need to ask my parents to check those out.

$4485634_orig.jpg$IMG-20140516-WA0010.jpg$IMG-20140516-WA0009.jpg

Would the shaving soap have been in a stick form or would the shaver have used a brush with that canister?

Looks like this set came with a collapsible brush (probably the smaller container I thought was for a styptic pencil), a separate styptic pencil, a strop, and the larger container is for soap, I believe. I found a picture of a similar set, but it does not actually show which container housed the collapsible brush.

Soap:

Regarding the soap, I do not know what form this would have come in. Much earlier in the 19th century, some lavender soaps came in powdered form. ASR made powdered soaps and sticks roughly twenty years after this razor was manufactured. Waits says that the 1896 catalog included a cosmetic face powder, but I think that was included in an earlier set, and the one you have just has one of the larger canisters.

Last edited:
Obviously a defective set since Monday is missing. Send to me for a decent burial. I'll even split shipping. :)

:tongue_sm That does bring up an interesting question, are blades of this type easy to find? If so maybe I can make Monday seem a little less empty :wink2:.

:tongue_sm That does bring up an interesting question, are blades of this type easy to find? If so maybe I can make Monday seem a little less empty :wink2:.

Not particularly easy to find, but they do come up on ebay. Sometimes in their spare blade holders, but mostly as part of another kit.

-im

Top Bottom