What's new

Astra Stainless vs. Astra Platinum?

I've done Stainless and Plat.
IMHO Plat >>>> Stainless.
I get a very close and smooth shave with the platinum blades, and love them to death. They were my go-to blade untill I ran out the other day.. I won't even load with the remaining stainless ones.. I went to the leftover Sharps I had.. (I feel they are very close)

The Superior Stainless are pretty good for me, but the Platinums edge them out as one of the best blades I have tried thus far.

Holy goat barnacles, Batman! This thread kinda came back from the grave, didn't it?:scared:

the Stainless bury the Platinums in my book. Platinums are a nice blade, but I always cop a weeper or two. the Stainless give me consistent BBS shaves every time. they're much smoother and kinder to my face.

the Stainless bury the Platinums in my book. Platinums are a nice blade, but I always cop a weeper or two. the Stainless give me consistent BBS shaves every time. they're much smoother and kinder to my face.

I find them sharper as well.

Broken glass...Just kidding but for me the Sharps are all but sharp. I worked myself through a 5-pack but I won't go there again.

This is where the YMMV comes in.. I feel that the sharps are close to the Astra Plats. I can go from No shave in a week to PGS (pretty good shave) in 2 passes with touchups.

(note: blades were in a standard Superspeed)

This is where the YMMV comes in.. I feel that the sharps are close to the Astra Plats. I can go from No shave in a week to PGS (pretty good shave) in 2 passes with touchups.

(note: blades were in a standard Superspeed)

YMMV for sure. The Astra SP's have the same kind of harshness too but are slightly better so I agree with your comparison. I can get a decent shave out of both but neither blade has any fun-factor for me. Getting an easy shave after a week is nothing special; your skin is in top shape after a non-shave week and longer hairs are easier to remove IMO, it is with a daily shave that a blade tells you whether it is just ok or really good.

But if you like the Sharps please enjoy them; for me they are not horrible but simply not good enough to bother with them again.

EDIT: I have shaved with the Astra Stainless, SP and Keramik and I kinda liked the stainless and found the Keramiks more likable than the SP's but won't buy any of these again. For me they are all middle of the road at best.

Last edited:
What is the difference between the stainless and the platinum coated blades? The stainless comes in a blue wrapper and the platinum a green wrapper. I have used both and honestly can't tell the difference. I like them both and was thinking of getting 100 but don't know which ones to get. Theoretically I suppose the platinum coated should be smoother maybe? The platinum I understand are made in Russia but I don't know if the ss are. There is a eBay store over in Turkey, shaving shop, run by mymikado, that is really cheap, under 10 cents a blade. Anyone order from him? Seems like he has a good track record on eBay.
I am using the 39C, sledgehammer slant, and the asta's work really well. As good as the feathers I have and one third the price. I seem to get more shaves out of them than the feathers also. The first shave probably isn't as sharp as the feathers first shave but good, the second is about the same as the feather on the second shave, and the third is better than the feather. I usually only get 3 shaves out of a blade, sometimes 4. As soon as I feel or notice any pulling I change them out.
Any info on the astra's appreciated.
Hi
We are the main distributor of Astra in Turkey. Both Astra Superior and Astra Platinum are made in St Petersburg, Russia.
If you have difficulties to find it you can try www.fendrihan.com or ww.SuperSafetyRazors.com or www.barberdepot.com They buy directly from us in quantities and they can probably supply it at a good price.

Murat ABATLEVI

Marmara Kimyevi Mad. ve
Dis Tic. Ltd.Sti
Tel: :+90 (212) 522 42 15
Mobile: +90 (542) 513 72 98
Fax:+90 (212) 522 42 16
[email protected] / [email protected]
www.marmaraltd.com
msn: [email protected]

YMMV for sure. The Astra SP's have the same kind of harshness too but are slightly better so I agree with your comparison. I can get a decent shave out of both but neither blade has any fun-factor for me. Getting an easy shave after a week is nothing special; your skin is in top shape after a non-shave week and longer hairs are easier to remove IMO, it is with a daily shave that a blade tells you whether it is just ok or really good.

But if you like the Sharps please enjoy them; for me they are not horrible but simply not good enough to bother with them again.

EDIT: I have shaved with the Astra Stainless, SP and Keramik and I kinda liked the stainless and found the Keramiks more likable than the SP's but won't buy any of these again. For me they are all middle of the road at best.

I found that was where the Astra SPs excelled, was when I hadn't shaved in a few days. The other blades I tried all tugged and pulled. What blades do you find to give superior shave I would be curious to give them a go.

Josh

I found that was where the Astra SPs excelled, was when I hadn't shaved in a few days. The other blades I tried all tugged and pulled. What blades do you find to give superior shave I would be curious to give them a go.

Josh

My favs are Lord Super Stainless, followed by Souplex and I like the NOS Schick platinums a lot too. Other blades I really like are the Gillette 7 O'Clock blacks from India and the Thai Gillette Superthins.

Personna Meds, Lord Plats/Chrome , red IP's, Elios and several chinese Gillette blades work well too.

Do remember please that blade-preferences are very personal so you might like neither of those blades; an extended sampler-pack is the way to go to find what works best for you!

Astra Platinum (the green ones) are literally SUPERIOR to Astra Stainless (the blue ones). ASP work smoothly and efficiently whereas *** give unpleasant shave with razor burns. What is more they become dull noticeably faster.

I definitely prefer the SP's vs the SS, the SS does feel sharper but also leaves me feeling far more raw than the SP's do. The SP's are definitely a pleasure to shave with. As for Sharp, I will never ever touch that blade again, every hair was just about yanked out of my face and caused me to tear up without onions, should sue them for false advertising based on the brand name alone lol.

Top Bottom