What's new

Are the Lord blades really all the same?

This comes up every now and again - e.g. All of the different Asco colours are the same etc. Are there any Lord aficionados that would care to try and rank the different Lord blades in terms of Sharpness/Smoothness?

From Lord, I've used Sharks, Lord Platinum, and Lord Super Stainless and enjoyed them all. But I wouldn't say that they are all identical.

There are SEM photographs on the 'net showing different grinds for the various Lord blades examined, so they cannot all be the same. Even if the grind is similar, coating differences will also change the performance.

I would guess that there are cases of the same blade being sold under two different names, but not in the same market.

I just received a Lord sample pack from ntguy.
A full tuck of:
Big Ben
Lord super chrome
Lord classic
Lord super stainless
Lord platinum classic
Crown super stainless
Asco orange super stainless
Shark super stainless
Shark super chrome

I've only tried the sharks during shark week. I found the shark super chromes suit me, the shark super stainless do not. I may try another shark ss in a different razor. Looking forward to trying the rest.

A full tuck of:
Big Ben
Lord super chrome
Lord classic
Lord super stainless
Lord platinum classic
Crown super stainless
Shark super stainless
Shark super chrome

I've only tried the sharks during shark week. I found the shark super chromes suit me, the shark super stainless do not. I may try another shark ss in a different razor. Looking forward to trying the rest.
You might be the primary tester here :) I've only tried three of those, and would rank them as (in order descending sharpness):
  1. Lord platinum
  2. Lord super stainless
  3. Shark super stainless
But all very nice, very consistent blades. I'll be curious to know what you think of the Asco

A full tuck of:
Big Ben
Lord super chrome
Lord classic
Lord super stainless
Lord platinum classic
Crown super stainless
Shark super stainless
Shark super chrome

A very nice collection of Lord razor blades. Only missing the Silver Star to be complete. Many consider Silver Stars to be Lord's best Enjoy your blades.

proxy.php

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've used a tuck and a half of Lord Platinum and 3-4 Shark Super Chrome blades, and no one will convince me they're the same blade.

The Lord Platinum I found very smooth and sharp enough. Its a blade I'd use to give my skin a rest from using Polsilver constantly, the same as I sometimes use a Derby Extra. In saying that I havent used one for quite a while because I have so many different types of blades to test, but I may review it soon now I think about it.

The Shark Super Chrome I found tuggy and harsh, especially shaving ATG. Its also a blade that gave me a burning itch a couple hours after I shaved. The only other blade I've used that made me itch like that was the Bic Chrome Platinum, so maybe I dont get along with the chrome coating, not sure. I'm in no hurry to use another Shark blade...

Are there any Lord aficionados that would care to try and rank the different Lord blades in terms of Sharpness/Smoothness?.
Hmmmm...this sounds like a good challenge. Some time ago I purchased a full set of the various Lord blades.

A very nice collection of Lord razor blades. Only missing the Silver Star to be complete. Many consider Silver Stars to be Lord's best Enjoy your blades.

proxy.php
Add ............

Racer Super Stainless
proxy.php
proxy.php

Racer Super Class Platinum
proxy.php

Rainbow Super Stainless
proxy.php

To the list

IMHO Silver Star and Racer Super Class Platinum are the best Lord blades
I'd rate the rest as good, adequate blades

the chances of all blades being the same and no lawyers being involved and the microscopic pictures and just simply using a couple different blades you can tell not all the same. I'm not saying they don't have a few that are pretty much the same just rebranded for different markets, I don't know, other than all blades in the factory start out from the same raw Swedish steel then grinds, then hones, then coatings. The real question for me is, are the chrome plated the same, is the stainless un coated the same, Etc. The buy a tuck and find out is the best way to go, take notes, use same prep, same razor and soap even. Mix up your shaves but do like an every other day or m, w, f, is test lord blades to prevent boredom. Mix up feathers and derbys in there so you have a sharp and smooth reference. i'm also testing some Lord blades and soon will be testing Derby theres more than just derby and derby premium, ( bluebird concord lion ) to name a few.then i'm going to move on to Treet blades. you have to establish a baseline to judge from. Its a long process whiskers only grow back so fast haha.

Also missed is the Lord extra
Crown Platinum

So, because of this thread - I've given the Silver Stars a go. What a blade!

I've given this a run in my FaTip, and in my slants, and it has to be one of my favorites. Ranking sharpness against the PolSilver, Personna, Feather, etc. is tricky, so I'm going to bow out of that - but I will say it's sharp, and it's about at the level of sharpness that I personally want.

Last week I was using a Gillette Silver Blue, and I like the Silver Star a lot more. They are probably about the same level of sharpness (it's so tough to say that one cuts more easily than the other), but I like the way in which the Silver Star cuts. It cuts in a slightly different manner, giving a little bit more feedback and noise in the same razor, but no less smooth, requiring no more effort than the GSB, and providing no extra irritation. Some people will like the GSB better for their set-up....but for me the Silver Star this week is providing the nicer shaves. With the GSB I bit myself twice with it last week - but with the Silver Star no bites, but the same great results.

It's certainly enjoyable and comfortable enough to enter my regular rotation.

Good info!
I did not realize these were all made by Lord.
So far I have tried
Shark Super Chrome - Decent
Shark Super Stainless - Not good
Racer Super Stainless - Not good
ASCO - Not good

I have the following which I have yet to try:
Rainbow, Lord Platinum, Lord Super Chrome, Crown Super Stainless.

So, because of this thread - I've given the Silver Stars a go. What a blade!

I've given this a run in my FaTip, and in my slants, and it has to be one of my favorites. Ranking sharpness against the PolSilver, Personna, Feather, etc. is tricky, so I'm going to bow out of that - but I will say it's sharp, and it's about at the level of sharpness that I personally want.

Last week I was using a Gillette Silver Blue, and I like the Silver Star a lot more. They are probably about the same level of sharpness (it's so tough to say that one cuts more easily than the other), but I like the way in which the Silver Star cuts. It cuts in a slightly different manner, giving a little bit more feedback and noise in the same razor, but no less smooth, requiring no more effort than the GSB, and providing no extra irritation. Some people will like the GSB better for their set-up....but for me the Silver Star this week is providing the nicer shaves. With the GSB I bit myself twice with it last week - but with the Silver Star no bites, but the same great results.

It's certainly enjoyable and comfortable enough to enter my regular rotation.
Now I have to try Silver Stars...just what I need, more blades...[emoji12]
I do like the Lord Platinum. Had 1 bad experience with a Shark Super Chrome recently, but think it was a dud. Going to give it another chance soon.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I recently tried a "Big Ben" and found it to be a very good blade. I've also tried the "Silver Star" and found it very good but for some reason it seemed to give a lot of audible feed back. I tried a second blade with the same result.

The only Lord's I found totally lacking were the Big Ben. Very inconsistent from one blade to the next, one shaved OK, the next was like using a rake. Favorite Lord's are Shark Chrome. Still prefer the Russian blades over anything from Lord though.

After using the Racer Super Stainless a couple more times, I will say that although it feels a bit tuggy, the results are quite nice. Shaves 2 and 3 have been good.

I have had poor results with a stainless blade of any brand. They feel scratchy whereas the coated blades (platinum, chrome, etc.) always feel smoother to me. Based on what I read here, I thought I'd try some Silver Stars. They feel as smooth as a premium platinum blade, and are very sharp.
I had a delightful DFS-BBS this am with a Silver Star (3) in a Post-War Fat Handled Canadian Tech. No sting, no stubble.

This comes up every now and again - e.g. All of the different Asco colours are the same etc. Are there any Lord aficionados that would care to try and rank the different Lord blades in terms of Sharpness/Smoothness?

From Lord, I've used Sharks, Lord Platinum, and Lord Super Stainless and enjoyed them all. But I wouldn't say that they are all identical.
I've used the Sharks and the Rainbows and preferred the Rainbows. They both definitely felt like different blades to me.

Top Bottom