What's new

Are Silvertips best?

Are Silvertips best?
As stated, it's subjective. Best is always subjective, regardless of topic. If you prefer them, they're best.

A boar user would disagree. Even a badger user who prefers scratchier badgers will disagree. A vegan would disagree as well.

They're more rare than the cheaper grades of badger which is why silvertips cost more. People tend to assume that "more $$ = more better".

Last edited:
I find that the vast differences between various brushes is one of the things I love about this hobby.

You ask if Silvertip is the best. There really is no answer. To me the only way to know is to assemble a collection.

The photo below shows my current line up. My objective in putting this team together was to get variety and change from day to day.

The boar you see is the famed Omega 48. It is a tremendous bowl lathering brush acting much like a whisk. It is particularly good with Cella and Proraso.

The small Rooney 1-1 in silvertip is a lovely brush that is my travel brush as well.

The two Simpson brushes are both two band silvertip. They are totally different from the Rooney hair.

Then there is a Caswell Massey in pure. Aside from the floppiness of this brush, the tips of the hairs are distinctly scritchy. It is not unpleasant but it is a completely different experience than Silvertip. I will take silvertip any day.

Finally you see a Thater silvertip. Again, this brush is different from all the other silvertips. It is firm and luxuriant. It lathers well in a bowl or on the face. It works wonders with MWF.

All these brushes are different. Each has its own character. It keeps things interesting.

Attachments

• $_SBM8212-20110306-2032-Candelabra.jpg
    $_SBM8212-20110306-2032-Candelabra.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 41
I gave mine to my Dad as it was soft yes, but just to moppy/floppy for me. I am one of the oddballs that like a good pure. I love the stiffness and accuracy. Might explain why the 1305 is my favorite.

I gave mine to my Dad as it was soft yes, but just to moppy/floppy for me. I am one of the oddballs that like a good pure. I love the stiffness and accuracy. Might explain why the 1305 is my favorite.

When your in the Market/ bit by SBAD, try a TGN Black Badger, fantastic scrub and backbone, good lather flow-through on the 24mm knot.

I find that the vast differences between various brushes is one of the things I love about this hobby.

You ask if Silvertip is the best. There really is no answer. To me the only way to know is to assemble a collection.

The photo below shows my current line up. My objective in putting this team together was to get variety and change from day to day.

The boar you see is the famed Omega 48. It is a tremendous bowl lathering brush acting much like a whisk. It is particularly good with Cella and Proraso.

The small Rooney 1-1 in silvertip is a lovely brush that is my travel brush as well.

The two Simpson brushes are both two band silvertip. They are totally different from the Rooney hair.

Then there is a Caswell Massey in pure. Aside from the floppiness of this brush, the tips of the hairs are distinctly scritchy. It is not unpleasant but it is a completely different experience than Silvertip. I will take silvertip any day.

Finally you see a Thater silvertip. Again, this brush is different from all the other silvertips. It is firm and luxuriant. It lathers well in a bowl or on the face. It works wonders with MWF.

All these brushes are different. Each has its own character. It keeps things interesting.

awesome collection

Top Bottom