What's new

Are Shannon's Soaps and Crowne & Crane shaving soaps any good?

I recently lathered Sterling's Mutton tallow soap. Ironically, its lather is very much like Shannon's soap lather. The beef tallow Stirling takes on water in a different way. Shannon's and the mutton tallow Stirling don't incorporate the water as much as they hold on to it. The lather becomes very wet, dense and somewhat low volume. I don't know how to describe it well, but it is the kind of lather that you can fling across the room. It is also possible that my results are atypical. I am not really used to these soaps, but in my experience they are both slick and create an lather that is specific to them. If you wind up using Shannon's, please let us know your results.

I recently lathered Sterling's Mutton tallow soap. Ironically, its lather is very much like Shannon's soap lather. The beef tallow Stirling takes on water in a different way. Shannon's and the mutton tallow Stirling don't incorporate the water as much as they hold on to it. The lather becomes very wet, dense and somewhat low volume. I don't know how to describe it well, but it is the kind of lather that you can fling across the room. It is also possible that my results are atypical. I am not really used to these soaps, but in my experience they are both slick and create an lather that is specific to them. If you wind up using Shannon's, please let us know your results.
Excellent descriptions and this mimics my experience with them as well. I really like both and they both work very well for me. I face lather, adding water until the lather has a sheen to it. The results are very slick lathers that provide a good cushion. They leave my face feeling refreshed and hydrated.

@Doc Dan , I realize I'm a bit late to the party, but when I joined B&B almost 9 years ago Shannon's Soaps was one soap that received quite a bit of attention in a number of threads, as well as MWF, Stirling, and others.

Haven't personally tried it, but it's on my list to do so.

Cheers!

I was gifted a Shannon Soaps ( nil ). ,because he felt he was allergic to lanolin. It is a very good soap with good post shave feel. He also gave me a Stirling Sheep. I think I like Shannon's better.

Sadly, some think they are allergic to lanolin when those with lanolin sensitivity are not common. Most people aren't sensitive to it. Most that think so are actually having issues with something else in the soap, lotion, or whatever. At least that is what my research tells me.

I got in Shannon's Rebrab. It is a good performer with my straight razor. The smell isn't what I think of as a barbershop scent, but it isn't bad. The performance was good enough for me to want to try some other scents. I laughed when I saw Chupacabra was the name of the base.

For me Shannon's soap is a top performer, very fatty with excellent shave and post shave feel. In that regards I find it similar to MacDuff's or even better and they both suit me way better than Zingari Man.

I tend to somehow experiment and don't repeatedly buy the same consumer products over and over again, but if something has really impressed me, then I'll buy it again, sooner or later. And Shannon's soap is one of them.

I really like Shannon's soaps and I have had generally had excellent results straight shaving with either the standard to Chupacabra base. The times I hadn't certainly weren't the soaps fault.

I always keep her Coconut Lime on hand. It's a fantastic summer scent, and a lovely pick-me-up in the winter.

I really like Shannon's soaps and I have had generally had excellent results straight shaving with either the standard to Chupacabra base. The times I hadn't certainly weren't the soaps fault.

I always keep her Coconut Lime on hand. It's a fantastic summer scent, and a lovely pick-me-up in the winter.
I'm glad to see you were using a straight razor. That's what I use. Soaps that perform well with a DE razor sometimes don't do so well with a straight.

That coconut lime certainly looks interesting. That song keeps running through my mind, "Put de lime in de coconut..."

I'm glad to see you were using a straight razor. That's what I use. Soaps that perform well with a DE razor sometimes don't do so well with a straight.

That coconut lime certainly looks interesting. That song keeps running through my mind, "Put de lime in de coconut..."
She's generous with menthol if you get her mentholated splashes. I really like her formula though, no burn as they're sans alcohol but nice and soothing and light.

I find myself repeating that song when I use it!

Top Bottom