What's new

Are Shannon's Soaps and Crowne & Crane shaving soaps any good?

I am trying to find an affordable tallow + lanolin shaving soap to replace Mitchell's Wool Fat. Shannon's and Crowne & Crane have good prices and both use tallow + Lanolin. Are these shaving soaps any good? I like to use a straight razor, if that helps.

Before anyone says anything, Arko does not stand up to a straight razor as well as other shaving soaps.

I have the Shannon’s Lavender and Lemongrass soap. The soap has a noticeably oily consistency and a wonderful scent.

It uses their original base and creates a lather that is very dense and creamy. While the lather is not exactly runny, it is also not the type of lather that allows you to create ridges. It is cushioning and slick, but you can’t really build a thick coat of it on your face; I think it is designed to be applied as a thin coat. It’s an unusual lather.

Because I don’t use a straight razor, I can’t really comment on it, but the lather is nothing like Arko’s lather.

Have you considered Stirling’s Mutton Tallow soap? Even the regular Stirling soaps have similar properties to MWF. They take on a massive amount of water and create a yogurt like lather.

I'm sorry, I don't have experience with either of those soaps, but I second @Keyvan's suggestion of Stirling Sheep. Mike's Natural Soaps might also fit the bill. Great base with tallow and lanolin. Plus it's inexpensive as well.

ingredients: Distilled water saponified tallow (beef) and stearic acid; vegetable glycerin; saponified kokum butter, avocado oil, and shea butter; lanolin, fragrance and/or essential oil(s); saponified coconut oil; kaolin clay, vitamin E.

It's often out of stock, however. You kind of have to check his website often to see what scents he's rolling that week. @Tanuki enjoys Mike's I know and he's a master of the SR like yourself.

I've not tried Mike's. I just checked, it was out of stock at The Razor Company and Maggard's. I'll check elsewhere. Mike's uses tallow + lanolin, I see.

I would highly recommend Crowne & Crane, great owners and product. Their soap is one of my favorites and out of the 12 scents that I own, I have never had one that I didn't like, they always seem to be spot on with their scent descriptions. A few of my faves of theirs are Cognac & Cubans, Palo Santo, and Tobacco Leaf & Amber. You should give them a try.

The Razor Company sell's 1/4 oz. size samples of both Crown & Cane and Shannon's for $2.99 each. On samples, I will scoop out about 25% to 30% of the sample (you may use more or less) and place it into a lathering bowl. You may want to take your finger and smooth the sample around the bowl. Add a bit of water, wet my brush and lather away until I get the consistency I want. May drop little more water to build the lather. Kind of trial and error :)

Not perfect, but certainly better than buying "blind". I have no personal experience with either. Good luck !

Someone shared a sample of C&C tobacco leaf and amber with me. It was a very good soap and nice scent- similar to Stirling in performance. If you're a staunch MWF user disappointed with the reformulation i'm not sure why you wouldn't consider MdC- light and lovely scents and a very good lather.

The Razor Company sell's 1/4 oz. size samples of both Crown & Cane and Shannon's for $2.99 each. On samples, I will scoop out about 25% to 30% of the sample (you may use more or less) and place it into a lathering bowl. You may want to take your finger and smooth the sample around the bowl. Add a bit of water, wet my brush and lather away until I get the consistency I want. May drop little more water to build the lather. Kind of trial and error :)

Not perfect, but certainly better than buying "blind". I have no personal experience with either. Good luck !
I completely agree with this suggestion. You have to try Shannon’s for your self. A sample is the way to go.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I am trying to find an affordable tallow + lanolin shaving soap to replace Mitchell's Wool Fat. Shannon's and Crowne & Crane have good prices and both use tallow + Lanolin. Are these shaving soaps any good? I like to use a straight razor, if that helps.

Before anyone says anything, Arko does not stand up to a straight razor as well as other shaving soaps.
Shannon's Barbershop is in my extended soap rotation. Excellent soap. :)

No experience with Crowne & Crane.

Both Shannon's and Crown & Crane are excellent soaps made by awesome people. Can't go wrong with either choices as long as you enjoy the scent.

C&C has really uped their scent game lately with ones like Peppered Plum, Baristia, Green Tea, Norsemen, etc. Very unique with a top tier soap base IMO.

Shannon's Soaps scents are more simplistic on a natural side. Really like Copabia Rose and Haymarket Vetiver. Great value with a creamy soap base.

I have been using Shannon's soap for the last few years. It's great stuff and if done right produces a realy good lather. I used her soap today, as I do every Friday.
20230511_075309.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

Lol, you just HAD to insult me and @Owen Bawn !

I'll be following with interest my friend! I've always been intrigued by Shannon's.

Hey @Mike M ! Shannon is a good Irish name! Perfect for today: fits a boy or a girl!

Top Bottom