What's new

Are monograms pretentious?

When is monogramming acceptable and not considered pretentious? I used to have a L.L. Bean backpack with my initials on it when I was a kid. Nobody found that unusual. But I think it might seem pretentious today if I had a monogrammed wallet or briefcase.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
When is monogramming acceptable and not considered pretentious? I used to have a L.L. Bean backpack with my initials on it when I was a kid. Nobody found that unusual. But I think it might seem pretentious today if I had a monogrammed wallet or briefcase.
eliev:
I don’t think it’s pretentious, if anything it shows class and character. :thumbsup:

Just my
proxy.php

proxy.php
“Too often I find that the volume of paper expands to fill the available briefcases” Jerry Brown

Last edited:
Only if you keep them to a reasonable size and don't use gold thread :lol:

small and done the same color of the material they are on, they are an "understatement" and very classy

I don't like monograms on clothes, but I think it would be fine on a briefcase, wallet, luggage, handkerchief, cuff links, etc.

Does it fit into the rest of your style naturally and smoothly? If you wear nothing but ballcaps and ratty t-shirts, suddenly having monogrammed tea cozies might seem a bit odd.

I've got no problems with them. Unless they are huge and across the chest of the sweater that you are wearing.....

Something like a wallet or briefcase wouldn't seem pretentious. This will to most folks::001_smile

Attachments

• $laverne.jpg
    $laverne.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 182
I don't always monogram my shirts
but when I do, I prefer to mongram the cuffs

p.s. you are fine with the wallet/briefcase idea

VERY pretentious. Do you plan on losing your wallet/briefcase and need to identify it? Just kidding.....

Funny how monograms may be seen as pretentious, yet tattoos and piercings are commonplace now. How can you brand your own body and still think it's lame to brand your possessions?
Go with the monograms. Much more sensible if you ask me.

Funny how monograms may be seen as pretentious, yet tattoos and piercings are commonplace now. How can you brand your own body and still think it's lame to brand your possessions?

Well, you are assuming that people who get piercing and tattoos think monograms are pretentious. Not true. Look at all the people that get their own last name or initials tattooed on their body. The ultimate monogram if you ask me. I had a bunch of piercings when I was younger. I don't no what I was thinking :out:. They are all gone now. Luckily I did not get any tattoos as I do not care for those either. But hey, to each there own.....

All my shirts are monogrammed in light or matching colours..I think its fine.. I see so many people wear them here, its almost normal..

I think it's more pretentious to monogram their socks.. I just happened to look over and my colleague has a monogrammed socks..!!! *** right? and he didn't even use his own initials.. CK....his should be VS..
sorry, its been a loooong day for me..

I got a monogram tattoo, so I am good either way.

Top Bottom