What's new

Aqua Velva Knock Offs

Me neither. It's so inexpensive anyway, -

And if you don't purchase from the real manufacturer, then they will eventually stop making the stuff. Then there will be moaning and tearing of shirts and a hue and cry "Why did they stop making AV?!". We will be buying half empty bottles of the "REAL" AV from ebay (rare glass container for the collector!) and in the end, there will only be the knockoff, which will become the preferred scent anyways and then some cheaper, crappier knockoff - almost like the original knockoff - will come out and so on and so forth.

:mad3:

An old friend would buy the cheapest and crappiest beer he could find and only drank the good stuff - Budweiser - on weekends. He could very much afford to drink Bud every day of the week. When I went to his house and grabbed a beer out of his fridge, I grabbed a Bud everytime. Screw cheap.

Love it while it is here, not after it's gone.

-jim

And if you don't purchase from the real manufacturer, then they will eventually stop making the stuff. Then there will be moaning and tearing of shirts and a hue and cry "Why did they stop making AV?!". We will be buying half empty bottles of the "REAL" AV from ebay (rare glass container for the collector!) and in the end, there will only be the knockoff, which will become the preferred scent anyways and then some cheaper, crappier knockoff - almost like the original knockoff - will come out and so on and so forth.

Hear, hear! :thumbup1:

An old friend would buy the cheapest and crappiest beer he could find and only drank the good stuff - Budweiser - on weekends. He could very much afford to drink Bud every day of the week. When I went to his house and grabbed a beer out of his fridge, I grabbed a Bud everytime. Screw cheap.

-jim

If Budweiser was the good beer, what was the bad? :001_tongu

:mad3:

-jim

Easy to say when it's not your beer.

I'm in the "why buy an AV knockoff when it's already so reasonably priced anyway" club.

I do, however, understand the situation the OP was in (they didn't seem to have any AV, etc.)

On a side note, I have ViJohn's Swan mouthwash. It's not bad at all and about half the price of Listerine.

-jim
Life is too short to deny yourself. If you can afford it, why not enjoy it.

Oh, I thought you meant you were taking the cheap Bud and being a polite guest by not taking his private stock of Chimay.

Ahh, back in those days we drank pretty much what our dads drank or at least what was served as draft in the neighborhood bar. Not too much good beer then, just some expensive, not so tasty imports.

These days? My friend's son is an apprentice brewer at a small brew pub so I don't think he pays for his beer anymore and I live in Portland, OR. I still have a case of Bud in the garage though for slaking the thirst. Ummm, warm Budweiser...

:thumbup1:

-jim

I wanted to bring this thread back up to say that the Vijon knock off has been working great and I think the slight difference in scent is actually an advantage. If it had a little more menthol it would be perfect. I loves me some Swan AS.

Many of the generic aftershaves say "compare to #####" -

My question is.. do they have to pay a fee to "#####" to say that on the bottles??

Many of the generic aftershaves say "compare to #####" -

My question is.. do they have to pay a fee to "#####" to say that on the bottles??

No, they are just claiming to be an alternative. In fact, that's probably what saves them from having to pay any kind of licensing. Think "The Pepsi Challenge" or the new Chevy commercials, comparing themselves to Honda.

I know I'm years late to the party here, and who knows if any will read this, but.
I have a habit of stopping into pharmacies and dollar stores with the sole intent of checking out what they provide for shaving "gear". I also open bottles from time to time to see how they smell. Lately it's come to my attention that the cvs and rite aid AV knockoffs smell good, really good. I'm talking about the arctic/blue variant, you know what I'm talking about. To me they smell like a cross between AV classic and AV musk. Except, the level of musk is just right and not over the top as it is in AV musk. The cost seems to be about the same as the real thing. I don't think it's a situation where the corporations are trying to compete with a cheaper alternative, but with one of possibly superior quality. It's gotten regular rotation in my den and taken the place of classic AV. Between the quality of the knockoffs and products like B&M LPC, I can't see a need for the original.

Aqua Velva Ice Blue is good smelling (can't say how good it is but the Dollar Tree "clone" Ice Blue (I think it is sport) still don't smell good. It's funny because I rave about their cologne seletion, even my mom raves about the perfumes for how close they smell to the real thing.

I must say I can't say what smells worse to me, Macho or Aqua Velva Musk... Both don't smell good to me.

I have entirely too many aftershaves to be splitting hairs with knock off AV, but I'm glad you boys found some good ones. I love Av, but it's one day out of 2 weeks maybe. I used to get the vijon old spice knockoff because some said its scent lasted better, but I have not found that to be the case. That was the end of my generic aftershaves although most of my aftershaves are relatively cheap anyhow. I did not notice any better/worse performance with the generic, the original smells better to me.

I was going to ask if that because there was a plastic bottle over a glass, isn't that in a way AV being like the knockoffs to cut costs? Most times I dont complain about the use of knockoffs unless the price of the original is low enough and acessible. Hey most dollar store colognes I buy are expensive, at least $40. Aqua Velva vs a knockoff is maybe three dollars less. It's not worth it unless it is much more easily accessible.

Agreed on the Macho. What little scent there is, is downright terrible. The first time I smelled it, I gave the bottle a little squeeze and a healthy amount cascaded out and upwards all over my face and nose. Thank God the longevity is so weak.

Top Bottom