What's new

April 2018 Challenge: Filtered/Unfiltered

Not an entry, but a demo of what can be done with the right filters. This is one of the better full disc shots I've done.

A Hershel Wedge is an uncoated prism, about 1% of the Sun's light reflects out to a camera or eyepiece, the remainder passes through. A stack of ND filters allows visual use or photos. Not a device for the sloppy or careless, we all know what a telescope can do to your sight combined with the Sun.

Sun-20131331-full.jpg

My entries for this month.
Both photos have got the exact same settings in post processing.

No filter: ISO 50, f/16, 1/20 sec., -0.7 stop @ 27 mm
proxy.php

6 stop ND filter: ISO 100, f/14, 15 sec., -0.7 stop @ 27 mm
proxy.php

Great Pictures!! I was hoping to finally be able to catch something this weekend if time allows, but alas I see what the date is already!!
Oh Life

Hey, we are a few days into voting time, but no votes yet!

I'll vote for whitebar's shot (#21). With two filters, it really shows how filters can bring a photo to life! Plus I like how he found a good composition with just a few rocks at a stream. As always there are other good entries this month. Well done, everyone!

Seems plenty of people are missing out on time lately!
I shall go with Soren this month. Great mood and and I can feel myself in the picture.

I've been a little busy this month plus the weather just hasn't been making me want to go out and take pics. Seems like if it hasn't been raining its been snowing.

I'm going to vote for Ninja I like the way the clouds came to life, and the traffic was turned int just a faint whisper.

Orange and polarizing filters. This was halfway through our March blizzard.

DSCN6095 - View From the Deck.jpg

Without filters...
DSCN6095 - No Filters.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like things are a wrap up for this month. Blaidth, this was a fun challenge. Thanks everyone for the votes and I appreciate the comments. I've been looking at past challenges in order to see previous themes and am working on a new one that hasn't been done before. I'll post the new challenge tomorrow as I'll be leaving town for a few days.

Top Bottom