What's new

Appreciating the pens you already have

You'd think this should go without saying, but really, sometimes I think we become so focused on acquisition in our mini buying-sprees that we forget the awesome pens we bought in the past.

I was re-arranging my modest collection in some new pen rolls, and I came across the Pilot Elite 95S. It's been cleaned and stored for probably a year and a half, behind its Pilot Custom brothers in the pecking order. It's a modest and handsome little pen, and boasts an impressive heritage, being the latest iteration of the Japanese "long-short" pocket pen design. And I have to say...I've used it the past week, and it is pretty close to a perfect "daily carry" pen. Small enough capped to fit into a shirt pocket, and full-length when posted, with a really smooth and quick slip-cap action. And of course, I love the 1960's aesthetic it has. The nib is fantastic. I don't know if it can be called "inlaid" but it's definitely "inset", and is somewhat springy. It's every bit the equal of Pilot's other 14K nibs of similar size.

The only thing that keeps it from being "perfect" is the Con-20 converter. While I don't mind this and it's what the vintage models had as well, it's not as easy to flush as other converters. There's not much you can do because of the short size of the pen, but still...I can only wonder how awesome it would be if it had an integrated piston design or if the barrel was a bit longer to accommodate the Con-70. With the Con-20 being discontinued in 2016 (along with the Con-50), you have to wonder if Pilot will again retire this wonderful pen design or re-introduce it again with a slight design tweak. If the new Con-40 doesn't fit it, it'll be a cartridge-only pen. And that's a shame.

I also reacquainted myself with my Franklin Christoph 02 with a Masuyama cursive italic nib. It is of course a lovely writer, and I love how it feels when posted. I'd get another one of these, too, if F-C would just release it in more finishes/materials. Seriously, that's my biggest gripe about the otherwise awesome company, but I understand that they're small.

Finally, my Custom 74 with a Soft Fine nib. I ordered it from Japan in 2013 (hides from Brian Goulet after his recent "undercutters" discussion on last week's Q&A...just kidding :laugh:), and it is every bit as lovely a writer as many of the vintage pens I've used. I've never used a "vintage flex" pen like a wet noodle Waterman from the 1920's or whatever, but Pilot's soft nibs definitely show that modern manufacturers haven't "forgotten" how to do vintage-like 14K softness. It goes from a Japanese Fine (western EF) to a double broad quite easily, but I wouldn't flex it like that regularly. It's easily capable of a Broad line under "normal" usage. When I inked it up again I realized that it demanded a bit of an adjustment to my writing technique, but after about 20 minutes, I remembered again how much I love the pen. Smooth, bouncy...it showed me that I don't really need to chase 1950's Pelikans on Ebay from sellers in Croatia. My 1990's Tortoise M400 is just fine in that regard...and this Custom 74 provides a thinner line than the M400 when I need it with all the smoothness I appreciate. And that Con-70 is one awesome converter. Piston fillers are nice, but if you HAVE to use a converter, I don't think you can do much better.

Does this mean I won't succumb to pen AD again in the future? No. There are still a few more pens that I want. But I think that sometimes we forget that we actually HAVE nice pens that we should reacquaint ourselves with if we're in the midst of a "Should I buy this?" attack. So, open up your pen cases and pen rolls and look at the pens you have every once in awhile. Old favorites could be there waiting to be enjoyed again.

Of course, it may also lead to "I need another Pilot Elite just in case they retire the model again...":lol:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
This post just encouraged me to pull the trigger on a Franklin-Christoph 02. :lol: I'd been looking at one for a few days now, so I figured, why not?

Last edited:
This post just encouraged me to pull the trigger on a Franklin-Christoph 02. :lol: I'd been looking at one for a few days now, so I figured, why not?
Which finish and which nib?

It really is a great design. It's made to be posted and fits PERFECTLY in the hand when it is. I haven't eyedroppered mine. Bad luck with eyedropper pens in the past. I know that's what most people do with their FC pens but I'm just fine with the converter.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Which finish and which nib?

It really is a great design. It's made to be posted and fits PERFECTLY in the hand when it is. I haven't eyedroppered mine. Bad luck with eyedropper pens in the past. I know that's what most people do with their FC pens but I'm just fine with the converter.

Bronze/black with a medium nib. It's from a vendor because I had a discount code. If I end up liking it, then I might order another FC pen directly from them with one of their custom nibs. And if I like the pen but not the nib, then I'll just pick up one of their other nibs to try out.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
As most here know, I have a number of vintage pens. Some that I haven't used in a decade or more and have even forgotten I own. It's always a pleasure to find a gem again and ink it up and use it for the week at work ... so much fun. Thanks for posting this, I'm going to stay up late one night this weekend, I'm sure.

Buy another? I didn't think this was the response Kevan wished for when starting this thread! :001_rolle

Sadly I have barely touched any of my Pelikans since December. I haven't written anything besides a check at home. At work, all I us are my Pilot VP's.

Trying to change that tonight to wind down!

I was out the other day wanting to purchase yet another pen, what would have been the third pen in less than two weeks. I was looking at some Pelikan pens but thankfully they didn't have the color I wanted in stock so I passed instead of settling for a second choice color. I did however buy a pen case. It's suitable for 2 large pens or 3 midsize pens.

proxy.php

I've got a number of pens, both modern and vintage (that number has just crept into three digits!), and despite my best efforts, there are still some very fine pens that probably haven't been inked in two years. This is definitely a first-world problem! I've considerably slowed down my acquisition activities and think I'm getting close to making some decisions on disposing of some of them. I just need to figure out what focus I want for my collection. :001_rolle

I've identified the "keepers" and have been selling off the rest over the past year. It's been liberating. It'll be good to just focus on using and enjoying a handful of pens. This isn't for everyone and probably only works once one figures out what they like in a fountain pen, then stops looking at pens. Just my thoughts, and I could be totally wrong about that, however.

-Andy

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've identified the "keepers" and have been selling off the rest over the past year. It's been liberating. It'll be good to just focus on using and enjoying a handful of pens. This isn't for everyone and probably only works once one figures out what they like in a fountain pen, then stops looking at pens.

-Andy

I have been doing the same. I have three favorites, all Pelikan M600 (one vintage), and they are the only pens I have had inked for a while (other than my newspaper puzzle pen). One of these days I'm going to have to sell the M800 - nice pen, but just a little too big for my hand.

I have been doing the same. I have three favorites, all Pelikan M600 (one vintage), and they are the only pens I have had inked for a while (other than my newspaper puzzle pen). One of these days I'm going to have to sell the M800 - nice pen, but just a little too big for my hand.

+3

I decided to let a couple of my pens go as well. My Franklin Christoph #02 was just too big compared to my other pens, and my Pilot Decimo (capless) wasn't seeing use since I found a Pilot Elite Pocket Pen I like better for daily carry.

I've decided not to buy any more pens this year (hopefully). But I appreciate them all - especially the Lamy 2000 that I traded with Kevan.

No matter what happens, I keep coming back to my 1970's Sheaffer Imperial 330 that I bought in college.

In the 80's I bought a Cross Century in black matte finish. Beautiful pen. It had a very scratchy hard starting nib so I sent it back to Cross and they replaced it. The new one was no better.

In the 90's my brother in law gave me a Montblanc 147 which is a wonderful pen....but a bit big and heavy. Once the original cartridges got used up I cleaned it out and put it back in it's leather cozy.

In 2001 my employer gave me a Cross Townsend as an award for completing a special project. This is a really nice pen, but very large and heavy. Only good for signing checks or documents.

Last year I bought a Cross Bailey because it was only $20 at Staples. Nice pen but it refuses to post. I accidentally picked it up by the cap and the pen fell point first onto the concrete floor. Now it's trash.

I keep coming back to my Sheaffer. Next on deck are a vintage Montblanc Noblesse and a Waterman....The Noblesse is a wonderful pen but the jury is still out. The other day I attacked the Cross Century with a file which helped a lot.....it writes as well as the Sheaffer but there is just something about that funky inlaid nib and light weight that makes me love the dinky Sheaffer.

Top Bottom