What's new

Anyone using just one brand of blade?

I had thought I had it narrowed down to Personna Reds until a tried Astra SP through the Great Blade Exchange. Now I use Astra SP exclusively. I have found my blade. I doubt I will ever want to try another.

I'm still going through a huge variety of blades (at least 40 different types) and will be doing so for at least 2 years. Once I get through those and pick my top blade(s), I can't see putting up with anything other than the blade or blades that work best for me. I can see where variety is great for soaps and creams, but not for blades.

I'm still going through a huge variety of blades (at least 40 different types) and will be doing so for at least 2 years. Once I get through those and pick my top blade(s), I can't see putting up with anything other than the blade or blades that work best for me. I can see where variety is great for soaps and creams, but not for blades.

+1. My ultimate goal is constant hardware, variable software. I'm almost there, everyday I shave with the Futur and a Classic 1 brush. I've got the blade narrowed down to two or three possibilities. Then I can focus my ADs on soaps and a few creams.

I use Astras most of the time. I just reloaded because of the price point and the good shave. I do throw in a different blade from the stockpile occasionally. Today it was a Rapira. Curiously, I also like my Wally Wilkies and Derbys, which have plenty of naysayers, and care not for the Med Preps and Red IPs. I have some Feathers and never use them. I must prefer smooth over sharp, although I do like me some 7 O'Clock yellows. At least we celebrate opinions on the B&B. Cheers>

I'm a Red Personna user at 99%. They are my all-time favourite blades and use them almost always in all my razors.

As an avid fan of Marco, I must ask what the attraction to Red Personna is. Feather works great for me. If I want to save some cost I fall back to Astra. Just purchased some Personna Med Prep as a potentially smoother and more durable option to Feather with similar sharpness ( we will see ). So where does Personna Rec fall?

Being new to DE shaving I've spent the last 3 months working through various blades in a sampler, but I think I've finally landed on feathers. I find they give me a comfortable, near bbs shave in only 2 passes with little to no irritation; the only downside being cost. However, they still end up being cheaper than my old mach 3s so I just decided to order 100 of them and plan to stick with them for the foreseeable future.

I use Astra's pretty much exclusivley. I got a few samples of Gillette Yellow and Dark Blue with my Tradere OC. Tried the Dark Blues once, not bad, but not as good. Still have to try the Yellow.

I believe I have finally settled on the Astra SP. I still have some random blades about the room, but only to try in new razors. I will try an Astra SP first, if that doesen't work, then I'll try a different blade. Other than that its the old SP's all day every day!

I started with the typical variety pack, settled on the Shark SS and bought a stock. I tried Feathers and almost switched over, but after some trips I really liked Wilkinson swords, which are my daily now after buying a stock. I am thinking of going to Feathers though - what can you do!?

My blade of choice these day is Persona Med Prep. It's sharp but not harsh on my skin like Feather blades. My second blade, it works best in a Merkur Progress for me, is Astra SPP. Lately I've been using Gillette Tech razors and just got a Fatip--Persona Med Preps are exceptional blades that shear stubble with ease--my go-to blade, no question. The Tech is a milder razor and it performs best with a more efficient blade like the Med Prep--some retailers list these as Surgical Prep blades. I found Astra SPP don't work all that good for me in my Gillette Tech razors.

Last edited:
Blades appear to be completely subjective based on the user. I am one who tried to use med preps and they tore up my face. No matter what razor I used them in, tons of irritation and I never got the shave I was looking for. I have been using Polsilvers exclusively and they are smooth and sharp on my skin.

I've tried quite a few different blades and the only ones that seemed to provide consistent smooth, comfortable shaves are Astra SPs. They have worked well in every razor I've tried them in.

Blades appear to be completely subjective based on the user. I am one who tried to use med preps and they tore up my face. No matter what razor I used them in, tons of irritation and I never got the shave I was looking for. I have been using Polsilvers exclusively and they are smooth and sharp on my skin.

Yeas and no. If you look at the number of Feather users vis a vis Derby?

Using Gillette silver blues mostly. Occasionally, I will throw in an SI or feather on occasion to stretch out my supply since they stooped making the silver blues and I only have about ten years worth stocked up.

Nowadays I normally use either Personna Blue Labs or 7 o'clock Super Platinums. Sometimes, however, I try other blades in my razors. Most commonly are the Astra Super Platinums or Treet Platinums. I find Feather being very good but too expensive for what you get.

I was curious if anyone here just uses one type of blade and only that type in all of their razors? I assume some like the variety and switching it up. I was that way and I have accumulated so many sample packs of blades. I have a hard time deciding which blade I like best.

Is anyone using one brand exclusively?

I have many sample packs, I'm looking for the holy grail of blades. I do like feathers and Voskhods. I have about 15 different brand sample I have to go through before I will stick with one.

I have tried around 25 different blades and I'm using only one now: Perma-Sharp Super (the Russian ones in the cardboard box[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]). They are sharp, very smooth and quite cheap.

I like other brands too like the Red Personna, Astra Platinium, Souplex, Israeli Personna, Gillette Bleue Extra, Lord Platinium & Chrome but the Perma-Sharp is the best for me.
[/FONT]

Top Bottom